Trip Report Boynton and West Palm: August 12-17, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Boynton on Saturday 8/20 with Starfish. Hit the Castor to see the GG's. No current on the Castor, 50 feet of viz, and 86 degree water. I swam bow to stern and explored the entire wreck. There were a few GG's North of the stern but without the current they had little incentive to hang out around the super structure like they normally would.

Second dive was the backside of tumbled rocks looking for lobsters. I got a couple. My wrangling skills have atrophied since mini season lol, so I ended up also training a few lobsters how to escape a snare for the next time they're harassed. A nice, deep lobster spot though! Similar conditions.

Second dive was the backside of tumbled rocks looking for lobsters. I got a couple. My wrangling skills have atrophied since mini season lol, so I ended up also training a few lobsters how to escape a snare for the next time they're harassed. A nice, deep lobster spot though! Similar conditions.

Always nice to see you making @Johnoly's job harder.

A bit off topic But does any of the boats leaving from Boynton Beach marina offer rental gear as well? My family have an apartment in Boynton Beach but since I’m living in Sweden with all my gear it’s easier to just bring mask and computer basically.
So far I’ve only dive with Pura Vida in WPB and rented gear via them.

A bit off topic But does any of the boats leaving from Boynton Beach marina offer rental gear as well? My family have an apartment in Boynton Beach but since I’m living in Sweden with all my gear it’s easier to just bring mask and computer basically.

Yes, pretty sure that they all do ... Loggerhead, Splashdown, and Starfish. I can't speak to SFDHQ as I've never used any of their boats.

I'd suggest you give them a call and talk to them about your needs. With at least a day or two advance notice, I'm pretty sure they can get any rental equipment you need.

You could rent from Force E in Boynton as well. They have a shop just west of 95 on Boynton Beach Blvd.

Always nice to see you making @Johnoly's job harder.
He'd catch them all if it weren't for divers like me :rofl3:

Dove Boynton on Saturday 8/20 on Loggerhead. Captain Jim was driving the boat, the DM's name escapes me at the moment. Nevertheless DM was a real trooper, was having issues with a touch of seasickness, and puking at the same time he was getting people off the boat. Certainly good motivation for those who don't move quickly when the captain says "dive, dive, dive". First reef we dove was Delray Ledges, we were set up for a north drift, but current was slightly south. Of group of 6 on one flag, 2 of us have been diving together for 30 years, and 4 of us have been on the same boat or diving together for 25 years. So we all decided with little communication to swim against the current given the drift was set up north. Observed a 8ft Lemon Shark, and a smaller nurse shark. Its a nice ledge plenty of fish to observe, normally grunts out number snappers, but it this dive I think the most abundant fish was Gray Snappers. Did not see any rays or turtles. There were plenty of lobsters for the two hunters in the group, unfortunately it seemed like they were either short or pregnant. Each hunter only had one lobster to show for their efforts. Temperature on the bottom was 86f, on the surface 87f. Did a REEF fish count 61 species in 60 minutes. After a short surface interval we set up for the second dive. I believe Captain Jim said the second dive was "Utities", in 30 years of diving down here, not sure I have heard that name before, but I think a lot of people have different names for some of these reefs. Anyway similar to the first dive. Nice ledge plenty of fish to look at, found a Lesser Electric Ray, and a juvenile Bonnethead Shark. Only one short lobster the whole dive, the hunters were disappointed for sure. Did another REEF fish count 64 species in 60 minutes. On both dives there were two divers that did that back side of the reefs. They were both hunting, but I wasn't paying much attention to how well they did vis a vis their quest for lobsters. Only saw one Lionfish on both dives. Respectively, "On The Way Out", My 30 year dive buddy, Lesser Electric Ray, School of Spadefish video, School of Gray Snapper Video, and Demonstration of Tickle stick and net lobstering technique (I did post this video on another thread as well)

8-20-22 On the way out.jpeg
08-20-22 My 30 Year Dive Buddy.jpeg
08-20-22 Lesser Electric Ray.jpeg

Yes, pretty sure that they all do ... Loggerhead, Splashdown, and Starfish. I can't speak to SFDHQ as I've never used any of their boats.

I'd suggest you give them a call and talk to them about your needs. With at least a day or two advance notice, I'm pretty sure they can get any rental equipment you need.
Thank you for the reply! Will do, hopefully i will be able to get back over there in november or next spring! Can’t wait for some tropical diving again!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom