Trip Report Boynton and West Palm: August 12-17, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And just to add....As @Divin'Papaw & others have many times written in their often Trip Reports >> West Palm reefs are very very close to the inlet. The good dive boats will set everyone up in their gear inside the calm inlet. Then race out to the dive site, drop, pickup and then race back inside the protected inlet so do your surface interval in pleasant calm water. On your 2nd dive, it's just like the directions on your shampoo bottle...Rinse - lather - repeat. You can't do that in Jupiter>it's too far out.

Got out yesterday (8/16/22) to a new experience for me here in Boynton. Through a local friend, we were able to go out with a friend of his on his personal boat to do some diving. Said friend is a commercial lion fish hunter who supplies a local high-end restaurant. We went up north near the Lake Worth Pier and north of it. While Nate was down hunting lion fish, we manned the boat and followed his Buoy and then picked him up. We then jumped in the water, while he did the same for us.

Surface conditions were still flat and amazing and visibility was still at its absolute complete worst. However, the dive sites were outstanding and our current on the inside reefs was perfect. Gentle north and 85 degree temps. We did 2 dives. First one at Horseshoe, which is always a standout dive site and the 2nd dive was new to me and my dive buddy. It is further north at a site called Sloane's Curve. It is one of the best Boynton dive sites I have done. Beautiful high relief once you hit the actual "curve" in the reef, with hundreds of large black sea fans hanging from the shelf. We saw a huge school of blue parrotfish all hanging out on the sand. THey might have been mating, hard to say, but I have never seen so many parrotfish all together and all looking absolutely identical in color and size. There were at least 60 of them. It was stunning.

That's it for yesterday. Today is last day here diving with a 2 tanker on Splashdown's Delta Splash boat this morning.
Let's hope for some 1/2 way decent viz!

Cheers!
Thanks for sharing ! 👍

Yes, Splashdown purchased Loggerhead. In addition to these 2 ops and Starfish, Scubatyme (from Pompano Beach) also now has a boat in the Boynton Marina doing charters. Their website doesn't reflect this, but it is a fact. I know there is some URL link somewhere that shows their schedule out of Boynton and even which sites they will be diving on each outing. I will try and track it down.
As per @trailboss, Splashdown bought Loggerhead. Both boats reserved off the Splashdown website Splashdown Divers – Splashdown Divers. Boynton Beach diving at its best! both boats all the way down by 2 Georges. I have not been on Splashdown for many years, use Loggerhead frequently. Jim still does most of the driving of Loggerhead, Lynn usually drives Splashdown.

I also dive Starfish frequently, I have not yet used Scubatyme III. Chis usually drives Starfish, don't know about Scubatyme. My friend, Alex B, drives Starfish many Mondays and fills some weekends on Scubatyme. Alex knows Boynton better than anyone. Starfish and Scubatyme are next to each other mid marina.

As per others, Boynton most affected by high seas, it is a narrow cut rather than a large inlet. When I can't get out of Boynton I check with Jupiter Dive Center, if no, go out of Riviera Beach on Walker's or Narcosis. i've been diving these 3 inlets year around since 2009

Flat calm today and conditions suck. 2.2 plus knots in 82 ft and 25 ftvis with algae blowing by. And piss warm water maybe 86 on bottom?

Flat calm today and conditions suck. 2.2 plus knots in 82 ft and 25 ftvis with algae blowing by. And piss warm water maybe 86 on bottom?
Sorry, I'm in Bonaire, 1st day of 2 weeks. Very mild south current, 84 degrees, vis about 60 feet. A yellow Frogfish on Bari and all the usual reef fish. Going back out now :)

Sorry, I'm in Bonaire, 1st day of 2 weeks. Very mild south current, 84 degrees, vis about 60 feet. A yellow Frogfish on Bari and all the usual reef fish. Going back out now :)
Pictures please

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom