The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For your very first time, I think you did great, Anna. However, when you return there, skip the bells.... I hear they scare away the turtles.

No doubt. :wink:

Here, I fixed it. You must have had some water droplets on the outside of the housing or something. Yes, I seem to remember seeing them on this dive, but I forgot to mention it.

kev-w-turtlew2.jpg

Okay, here's just a quickie, because I have to get some sleep before the morning trip. The lots of turtles and lobsters trend continues, along with alot of current. We had superb vis over the weekend, considerably more than 100 foot vis, but that has now deteriorated to 40-50' vis. The current was howling and so quashed our plans to dive a wreck this morning. We did Clubhouse instead, followed by Black Condo. There was a slight thermocline, down to 80º on the bottom and a fairly strong west current flowing along the bottom underneath a ripping north one. Otherwise, water temps were 84-ish.

Cleaningturtle.jpg

This turtle was one of four we saw on the first dive, and was neat because there were lots of fish grazing on the mat of algae growing on its shell. It looks like it may have been scraping some of the barnacles off under a ledge too. Unfortunately, we whipped past it and I didn't get to make very close observations.

curiousturtle.jpg

This turtle came right to us, and looked as though it was going to turn around and swim with us for a while, but at the last minute she turned back around and continued on her way.

lottalobsters.jpg

Two weeks early.

It seems that each and every one of those bugs is waving their middle finger at you! :rofl3:

Hey Kev, THANKS for the coupon in the ITK goody bag...without a doubt, the best item in the bag! :10:

It seems that each and every one of those bugs is waving their middle finger at you! :rofl3:

Hey Kev, THANKS for the coupon in the ITK goody bag...without a doubt, the best item in the bag! :10:

LMAO!

I ditto that! (on the coupon) :wink:

I hate to tell you guys, but its more of the same up in Boynton. I hate to keep posting more lobsters and more turtles, but I have to keep it real.

The crazy fast current has subsided though, and we had a slight south drift on both dives today. The water was a bit cool, 82º most of the time, though we did find a thermocline where it dropped to 78º at the end of the second dive. The whereabouts of both dives have to remain top secret today due to the crustacean density index. Vis was okay for the most part, usually 60-70' but dipping down to 40-ish here and there. There was a green/brown layer of freshwater everywhere, but it was only about 2' deep, then blue the rest of the way. You can actually see this layer in one of the pictures of the baby turtle that pestered us for about 10 minutes, then pestered the boat after we got out of the water.

Babyturtle1.jpg

Here is a series of pictures of the rambunctious little turtle. I know most of them are framed badly, or burnt, but I just want to demonstrate what this little guy was up to.

Babyturtle2.jpg

He mouthed my strobe lens, and mouthed my mask lens, then grabbed it and tried to take off.

BabyTurtle3.jpg

Babyturtle4.jpg

Babyturtle5.jpg

BabyTurtle7.jpg

Babyturtle8.jpg

Babyturtle9.jpg

From the time we left the bottom, to the time we climbed onto the boat, he shot back and forth between one of the divers and I, circling and exploring all of our stuff by either touching or tasting it. He even stuck around for five minutes or so after we were back on board exploring the ladder and the rope.

Babyturtle10.jpg

I really had a hard time getting any decent shots of him because he wouldn't sit still. He was a hyper little guy. In the last picture, where he's near the surface, you can see the green/brown layer.

evenmorelobsters.jpg

I saw more lobsters on this dive than I've ever seen before... probably 60 all together. There were about 25 of them just under this one ledge.

nurse-2.jpg

Just to mix it up a bit, here is a nurse shark...

Stingray-1.jpg

... and a stingray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom