The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, I've skipped a bunch of dive reports, but there really hasn't been any news... It's been 78º, pretty much normal conditions for this time of year. We did have some booming vis last week, but it's gone now. I think this prolonged and powerful NW blow that we just had might have caused an upwelling, because the water was greenish (vis about 40') and 75º (felt like a low 75 too). I'll try to get the camera fired up again.

We went out with Kevin Sunday afternoon. Myself, Onespeed & ReefPhotoKelly. We did the Castor, and a drift on Lynn's. Seas were 2', but they were a choppy 2'. Not too bad though. Surface temperature was 75 degrees, and about 73 at depth. The viz was good, so it was a good day to be out diving.

Here are some shots from the day.

Onespeed hunting on the Castor.
1200370910_Castor-1.jpg

Kev, our fearless leader
1200371005_kevin.jpg

1200370961_filefish.jpg

1200370888_butterfly-_-spunge.jpg

Mmmm, dinner.
1200371034_mmmm-dinner.jpg

Thanks for the great time Kev.

Well, I managed to get the camera into the water, but ran into a battery malfunction halfway into the first dive. I did get one okay picture of some lobsters under a rock. Fish was back and his rig worked all the way through, so maybe he'll share some more.

Conditions were as follows: Rough and pretty hard current. Vis was a little below average at about 35-40', but it was okay. The current was probably between 3/4 and 1 knot, which is kinda swift. We jumped in at a secret lobstering location. We saw a nurse shark cruising around and a giant kingfish came to check us out for a minute too, along with a bunch of small amberjack. I didn't bring any lobster capturing stuff, but there were lobsters here and there.

P1010142.jpg

Lobsters from the secret lobstering spot.

Next we did Black Condo, which was fun too. The combination of cloudy water and strong current served to really concentrate life along the ledge. Unfortunately, my camera was already dead by the time we made this dive, but maybe Fish has a shot or two that demonstrates this. We found a hawksbill turtle and a cool little ray. I'm pretty sure he got some shots of these guys. Anyway, it was rough, but fun. Oh yeah... water temps were 75º by my machine.

Kev,

Saturday was a pleasure as always. It amazes me people miss so much good diving in the winter. We saw four different turtles on Black Condo and I think three different nurse sharks on the Tabletop (one of them may have been a repeat that swam around us).

While we had a steep 2-3' going on, reports out of Jupiter Saturday morning are saying 5-7'.

Hopefully Fishy has more pics.

Yes I do have more pictures. For the first dive I saw the shark off in the distance, but I could never get close to it.

There were a ton of angels all over the reef.
1200971883_french-angels.jpg

There was also a school of Bogas.
1200971910_bogas.jpg

As well as the Amberjacks that Kev mentioned.
1200971940_jacks.jpg

For Dive two we had a nice look at the ray.
1200971970_kev-_-ray.jpg

And an up close encounter with the Hawksbill.
1200972080_turtle-_-divers.jpg

As always, it was great diving with Kev.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom