Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I do think they should stop teaching sump diving techniques to OW divers because they're not ready for it. LOL

:D :D

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
What is the "Immelman"?
The other posts explain the aeronautical version. The funny thing is that I really DO use a similar sort of turn.

On a drift dive, just as you go over a dropoff or a sand channel exhale strongly and go head down. Your head will be out of the current, while your feet will be carried over the top of your head. Now do a gentle kick and roll back face down. You will be in the sand channel, out of the current, but facing back upstream in the perfect location for looking up under the ledge for lobsters and other stuff.

When done right, it looks like you didn't move a single muscle.

I use this technique much more often than backwards finning. :banana:

There books/standards are written by lawyers to cover their_________. What actually happens in the field is not much of a concern as long as the certs and money is rolling in.

A big issue is the c-card renewal. I read one post where a person with four thousand post said he thought they should have pro certs be renewable. If I am making money for a agency, I should not have to send them a check in three figures to keep doing it. I do not believe that I should have to pay $400 - $500 a year for insurance. If I do what I am supposed to, I don't need it. If a student signs off on a test and I tell him several times not to hold his breath and he does,.. it's not my fault.

I was certified in 74 and chose not to renew my instructors this year.

A lot of times you can blame the customer,..their cheap. Champane taste and a beer budget. They think that they can go out for the cheapest bid and get the product of the most expensive.

You may not wish to dive Mexico, nothing against it my wife was born there. A lot of old divers pick other places, cheaper and better. You see,...PADI does not require insurance in places that don't require it, .. like Mexico,..You see you cannot sue there. That is why the tanks on the boats are never hydro'd or VIP'd and are corroded.

Unless you own a shop or freelance, few instructors make a living teaching. Most became an instructor for their ego,..mostly medical and lawyer types. The young try it for a while. People think that it is expensive to learn to dive,... do the math and then see if you want to work for that!

When agencies reduce the cost,..i.e. annual renewal fees, insurance, materials,..the industry will be able to attract and keep people and then make money.

Whirling Girl once bubbled...

PADI does train divers to think that they can go to 120 ft. in 40 degree water when they are fresh out of OW class.

and what makes you believe this??? My instructor and every instructor I've seen in a classroom more than stressed, that the limit for O/W was 60'. It's even a question on the final. Did you miss that question? How can you say from PADI's materials that they are teaching o/w students to go deep??? I musta missed that part in the book.

Well, all water in Puget Sound is cold, low vis water.

And let me correct myself, I can't actually remember if it was 130'. It was somewhere between 110' and 130'. My instructors, as I have said many times, were very good and I like them alot. I think they were teaching what they were told they were supposed to teach, and what they were told was safe. I am starting to disagree.

I have not taken 'Deep Specialty' training. Have you? What do they teach you in that specialty? How much class time do you spend? What do you learn about narcosis and PPO2 and all that stuff that's different?

Do you believe that, after taking 'Deep Specialty' training, a diver is safe to dive to 130 feet on air?

If you have not taken deep specialty training you DEFINITELY should not have been at 110 to 130. Especially in cold low viz conditions. This is what gets me, people talk about stuff that a clueless instructor does and blames it on PADI, how is this PADI's fault? It's a standards violation, you should report him. Instead of blaming PADI. just my .02

newdiverAZ once bubbled...

PADI does train divers to think that they can go to 120 ft. in 40 degree water when they are fresh out of OW class.

and what makes you believe this??? My instructor and every instructor I've seen in a classroom more than stressed, that the limit for O/W was 60'. It's even a question on the final. Did you miss that question? How can you say from PADI's materials that they are teaching o/w students to go deep??? I musta missed that part in the book.

I unfortunately have to agree with newdiverAZ. My son's instructor made sure he understood he was only certified to 60 ft, then immediately said "but for another $XXX, I'll get ya AOW which will certify you to greater depth, in five easy dives...."

And of course, I haven't seen any scuba police at 60ft checking cards....

So, definitely only 60 ft., but the inference drawn by me has nothing to do with skill level, but more to do with cash...heh

scubasean once bubbled...

I unfortunately have to agree with newdiverAZ. My son's instructor made sure he understood he was only certified to 60 ft, then immediately said "but for another $XXX, I'll get ya AOW which will certify you to greater depth, in five easy dives...."

So, definitely only 60 ft., but the inference drawn by me has nothing to do with skill level, but more to do with cash...heh

But then it's YOUR responsability as a diver, in your case as a parent, to decide the course of action at this point, If I wanted to sell you a class in advanced driving that would certify you to drive 250 mph would you take it? People have to use their heads and stop blaming everyone else for their stupidity.

And it is also my perogative to let him dive below 60 ft. if he is mature enough.

What was to blame? I was trying to poke fun at the fact that it was/is my opinion that the depth certification limits are partly set by a desire to get more money, rather than suddenly someone gaining more maturity or a given set of knowledge because they had been to 61ft. (a legit deep dive, in PADI terms) with an instructor.

I found it interesting to learn that going to 61ft. once (if you do AOW) or twice (for the deep dive specialty) sets the new limit at 100ft. [do I have that right?] even though the previous dives the student might have been on might have all been to 59ft. So, two additional feet suddenly makes them more qualified to go to 100.

Oh well. :)

scubasean once bubbled...

If you quoted your son's instructor accurately then he/she needs a course in how to sell classes.

But most certainly it is about cashola! PADI instructors are trained in their IDC to promote advanced level training. I suppose they are taught to do this for several reasons but without a doubt the most important reason is to keep the customer coming back. It's a marketable product and that's what keeps the ball turning. How is that different than any other business?

Of course, the customer gets something out of it as well...hopefully. For instance, it may be your perogative to let your son dive below 60 feet but it may not be wise to let him do so without the proper training. (Depending on how old he is it might not be wise even WITH proper training.) Now maybe he will only go to 61 feet in his AOW class but he will be taught those things that pertain to deeper diving.

He learns about deeper diving and the shop makes some dough...right? The shop stays in business and sells your son a new reg and BC and a trip to Coz...where he'll do a drift dive specialty.

Turn...turn...turn.

SA

Margaret

This statement is absolutely wrong.

Your further statement re your deep dive training I agree with 100 %.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom