Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean once bubbled...

I unfortunately have to agree with newdiverAZ. My son's instructor made sure he understood he was only certified to 60 ft, then immediately said "but for another $XXX, I'll get ya AOW which will certify you to greater depth, in five easy dives...."

...and with zero additional classwork.

More than anything else, the lack of any classwork is the effective Agency admission that the 60fsw depth limit is technically artificial, and a financially-motivated creation.

I learned to dive in the S.F. Bay area and lived several times in Phoenix, AZ. The last time in Phoenix it went from about 6 PADI dive shops to over 30. You can dive about 20 feet in the lakes or go a couple hundred miles south to Rocky point. YOu will still be hard pressed to hit 60'. When you actually get into diving,. i.e. Florida off shore you will have to be ready to hit 80 - 100'.

PADI recommends that OW divers only go to 60' until they get further experience or training. PADI AOW will not do it,..It is actually a joke. You can get certified in OW one weekend and the next AOW with only one dive to 60+'., with a total of 9 dives you are now a AOW, maybe one more a Rescue diver and and then a DM without ever leaving a OW class or 20'.

I have often seen instrucotr here in the Gulf take OW students on their first dive to 80'. They sold them a boat trip and the dives are 5 - 20 miles out in 80 - 110'.

I always try and stay shallow. better vis, longer down time and most of the life is on a shallow reef less then 60'. I normally do not go over that unless I am wreck diving.

In fact I believe that the deepest that I have ever been is 105'. I am an instructor, certified in 74 and live in Florida.

shiro85 once bubbled...

More than anything else, the lack of any classwork is the effective Agency admission that the 60fsw depth limit is technically artificial, and a financially-motivated creation.

Not true, for our AOW, we have homestudy for the four specialties, Boat, Deep, Night, Navigation, and then there IS a classroom session for AOW. Its about three hours...

Its not an artificial depth limit, its supposed to be a RECOMMENDED limit for SAFETY... As an OWD, you dont know everything, and you still need experience to be a good diver.

Go to other places,..i.e. Florida, Hawaii etc..Home of the 3 day OW cert and cattle classes to push numbers.

I have done it myself. The student read the book on his own, passed the test, complied with the confined water work in the spring, did his dives over two days and was certified, meeting the agency requirements and did it the way he wanted.

PADI pioneered this!

you can dive to well past 130' in Arizona, Lake Pleasant to be exact. 80' deep in lake pleasant and 80' deep in FT. Lauderdale FL is 2 totally different ballgames. If you been certified to 100' in Florida don't mean your ready for 100' in Lake Pleasant, but vice versa is no problem. I've been 80' in Florida and could still see the boat, most times your deeper than 20' in lake pleasant you can't see the boat. Even 50 in low viz is different than 50' in great viz. It's all about the conditi0ons you were trained in and your comfort level.

shiro85 once bubbled...

Do not confuse class work with effective dive planning, management, or coordination.

As a deep instructor trainer, the deep class (and it’s AOW introduction) is the hardest class to conduct for the instructor.

Ask any AOW student before the AOW deep dive what is going through their mind. You will find this dive creates the most anxiety.

The 60-foot limit is not artificial but a real barrier to new divers.

:doctor:

"80' deep in lake pleasant and 80' deep in FT. Lauderdale FL is 2 totally different ballgames."

True. Off Ft. Lauderdale you have to deal with currents and seas.

Krisscuba once bubbled...
I learned to dive in the S.F. Bay area and lived several times in Phoenix, AZ. The last time in Phoenix it went from about 6 PADI dive shops to over 30. You can dive about 20 feet in the lakes or go a couple hundred miles south to Rocky point. YOu will still be hard pressed to hit 60'. When you actually get into diving,. i.e. Florida off shore you will have to be ready to hit 80 - 100'.

There are probably less than 15 PADI shops in the whole state with maybe about 10 in the Valley. We have lost a few recently but we've never had anywhere near 30.

Yes, you can dive 20 feet in almost every lake in our state. But if ya had a hankerin' to do it you could go to 260 feet at Lake Pleasant or to over 500 feet at Lake Powell. Actually all of our seven desert reservoirs are deeper than you would ever want to dive.

We are in the midst of a 7 year drought but there is still plenty of water for deep divin'.

And if it's that deep salt water thing that you're interested in we're pretty close to San Carlos, Mexico and the Sea of Cortez . Or you can zip over to California. Rumor has it that there's some pretty good diving over there...and deep, too!

Krisscuba once bubbled...
PADI recommends that OW divers only go to 60' until they get further experience or training. PADI AOW will not do it,..It is actually a joke. You can get certified in OW one weekend and the next AOW with only one dive to 60+'., with a total of 9 dives you are now a AOW, maybe one more a Rescue diver and and then a DM without ever leaving a OW class or 20'.

You're gonna have to finish your OW class and go a bit deeper than 20 feet if you want to become a PADI DM.

SA

Walter once bubbled...
"80' deep in lake pleasant and 80' deep in FT. Lauderdale FL is 2 totally different ballgames."

True. Off Ft. Lauderdale you have to deal with currents and seas.

We've got rippin' current up at Lees Ferry below the Glen Canyon Dam.

And on a good stormy day we've even got some pretty rough seas!

But where would I rather dive? Ft. Lauderdale, of course. It's a no brainer!

:D

SA

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

Not true, for our AOW, we have homestudy for the four specialties, Boat, Deep, Night, Navigation, and then there IS a classroom session for AOW. Its about three hours...

What specifically do the Standards say is required?

Its not an artificial depth limit, its supposed to be a RECOMMENDED limit for SAFETY... As an OWD, you dont know everything, and you still need experience to be a good diver.

Fine, but in preparing divers through formal training, are the things for which the safety recommendation was created for in the first place really adequately addressed in the training standards? At 45 minutes per subject, even a 3 hours class is getting pretty crammed and as a single session, it cannot have adequate memory retention repetitions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom