The BIG LIE you may have believed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Here is an article I wrote that was just published in Sources magazine, which for you non NAUI types is the NAUI Membership magazine.

The BIG LIE you may have believed.

I first heard of it while I was in a sales meeting in 2006. At the time I was the Southeast sales manager for one of the major scuba brands and we had all gathered to hear about our latest new products, sales and promotions, discussion on what the “folks on the ground” (Reps) were hearing and seeing in the field and also to hear what the “ADULTS” (Our boss was hearing in discussion with the bosses at other big brands, training agencies, DEMA, large retailers, etc. A.K.A. “The Cartel” ) were talking about.
So there I sat as it was explained to us that the younger generations, namely Gen X (1965-1979) and even more so the Millennial or Generation Y (1980-2000) no longer were interested in pursuing scuba as a “lifestyle”. Instead they were coming into dive shops looking only to check something off their personal “bucket list”. I sat there as virtually the only sales manager who belonged to one of the aforementioned generations and was simply stunned at this “news”. While I would like to say I sat quietly and absorbed this valuable and groundbreaking revelation of marketing information and mulled it over while excited to run to my dealers and tell them that we finally had a reason for the lack of non-baby boomer participation! Oh the joy! Finally, we were starting to understand what we were seeing, it could all be fixed! But… I didn’t sit there quietly; I bypassed my very inefficient brain/mouth filter and stated that I disagreed, in the manner that only a diesel boat submariner that I used to be can. I was given a death ray stare by my boss as he explained the industry had done extensive and expensive research and reached this conclusion, thus the baby boomers remained the important demographic that we as an industry needed to continue to pursue. I muttered something about developing a “funeral home prospecting kit” and decided to shut up on this particular matter as now the entire room of baby boomers was giving me the stink eye for discussing their looming demise.
Over the next 7 years I watched as this little nugget and gem became accepted industry lore. Spread from dive shop to dive shop by eager representatives of the various agency stakeholders that had quite literally bought into this line of thinking. Soon, dive stores across the nation were well versed in the mindset that anybody who was not a baby boomer that walked through the doors was only there to experience scuba and get a “scuba license”, that these potential customers walked in the door with zero intention of pursuing continuing education or buying gear. Every younger face was greeted by a store owner, manager or employee who had been conditioned to believe that this individual who just walked in and said “I want to learn how to dive” was really saying “ I want to fill a check off box on my bucket list and I need a scuba card, I need it fast, cheap and you will never see me again, oh and don’t try and sell me any of your overpriced scuba gear either”. Not surprisingly, these younger customers seemed to prove the myth.

This weekend at a dive show in the mid west I had no less than three of my fellow dive industry pros share this little nugget of a cow pie with me.
It’s BULL. Complete and utter BULL. We bought into it and it’s killing us.
First of all, think about when you were young. You weren’t pursuing a “bucket list”, you were invincible! You were trying new things, new people, new sports and possibly even stuff that you don’t want your spouse, children or parents to know about even today…possibly the law as well. You walk in to a dive shop and you want to learn to dive, if it’s fun and cool you will keep doing it, if it’s not you won’t. Sometimes things really are simple.
I can hear people saying that ‘kids” today live on their smartphones, buried in social media, they don’t want to actually engage in activities outside. That couldn’t be more wrong. They are sharing their life, and more than anything, they want to share an awesome life. One filled with beautiful people, places, experiences and adventure. They want to be the star in their own reality show that they produce on that silly little smartphone using social media as the media of their life memories much as 35mm film was the media of our memories. I’m jealous of that actually, I don’t have such a scrapbook of my life to share with my loved ones, no well recorded and documented personal history for my daughter to one day see her old man when he was young. To many moves and too busy making sure I never spent a minute doing what I didn’t love to do. Stuff got left behind. I sure wish I had it now, and that of my parents….but I digress.

We moan about them not buying into our “lifestyle”. WHY WOULD THEY? They don’t even know what it is. We shut them out when we decided they wouldn’t buy in. We pre-judged them and found them lacking and they responded in turn by simply finding us not worth being around.
It’s been a perfect storm. We decided they had a bucket list and they only wanted to “experience” scuba, we also embraced better methodologies of academic learning for new divers during the same period. How does that correlate? Let me elaborate a little. Current academic teaching is mostly presented as self directed home study. Mostly computer based, lately online. The results of this approach to teaching the academic principles of diving have been proven to more effective than the old style of lectures when it comes to retention of knowledge by our students. It’s a good thing. However, what have we lost? We no longer spend as much time with our students, less time, less relationships. Less relationship equals less continuing education and less equipment sales. If they do buy they are going to find the lowest price possible because frankly, they don’t know you and they don’t care about you and expect that you in turn care nothing for them, why would they buy something from you? Especially if it’s more expensive. They don’t know you let alone like or respect and most importantly TRUST you. You can be the cheapest dive shop in town, unless your shop is located at an awesome dive site in a warm location where people travel to dive you will NEVER get a volume that makes selling low margin gear a good idea. So forget about selling gear, or continuing education to these folks. Or dive travel or fills and when they don’t buy equipment they don’t need service. That’s not gonna end well.
Does this mean a return to lectures? Not if you’re smart. It means spending more time doing other activities. Spend an evening going over equipment, dive safety in person one evening, have coffee and donuts (or carrot juice and celery sticks). Make an two hour presentation on dive travel, aquatic life and continuing education part of your course. Show images (on a projector from your PC,tablet or phone, NOT your old Kodak carousal!) that you and your customers have taken in the adventures you have done together!
We have discouraged “war stories” in the instructional setting because they detracted from the educational process. That didn’t mean we should get rid of them! In sales features are things something has, what it does is the benefit. People buy the benefit, not the features. The academics of a dive class are our features, the war stories and lifestyle are the benefits. That is what they actually want! We need to share them if we expect people to buy them. Ask any sales professional how showing features without the benefits works out for them.
Show the dive lifestyle, not just bemoan that people who have never seen something don’t want it. Run a class that is taught by your youngest instructor and only enroll young adult students. Let them form a dive club of young adult divers. I promise the first thing they will do is make a facebook group and tweet about it.
During the open water dives, bring a grill, break bread with your students, talk and have fun. Don’t try and free up their afternoon because “they want to do it as quick as possible” but make it SOCIAL because it’s FUN. Learn to connect with your customer base using social media, sometime it sucks and it’s work and we may not like that it involves putting ourselves “out there” but quite frankly it you don’t you really do need to start putting flyers in funeral homes. Leave instructions for the home to cremate the flyers when they do the last baby boomer.

None of these ideas are new, in fact they are old as dirt and in fact it was how our industry became an industry. Making a tank from an old fire extinguisher, taking a 12 week course or diving in a wool sweater SUCKED. But it was an adventure and the people were awesome. Somewhere along the way we lost all that. We made diving so easy that grandparents could do it with their grandkids and then wondered the grandkids don’t think that doing something their grandparents can do is an adventure.

We know most of this in our hearts, we’ve been so worried about being PC and marketing diving as “safe” (it isn’t, it’s forgiving of little mistakes quite often, until it isn’t. Then it’s deadly) that WE, the dive industry have suppressed the adventure, hidden the lifestyle and then wondered why people aren’t terribly impressed. The problem is NOT the newer generations, it is NOT the economy, we’ve been underperforming the economy for years, it’s NOT shorter courses (when they are taught well using modern methods and you make a comfortable diver). The problem is the face looking at us from the mirror. Until we reconcile that what we have been doing and believing as an industry these last 15 years has been an abject failure nothing will get better.

It’s time we stopped blaming the young for our problems. Without them we have no future. If you REALLY believe they are the problem can I suggest you volunteer with SUDS? The young men and women there have been fighting a 12 year war for us, they show strength, integrity, courage of their convictions and they are every bit as worthy as the greatest generation.

Good observations Chris! I'll bet the "vast research" done by the experts who came up with these conclusions wouldn't earn a C in any decent research methods class!:doctor:

Well said. As someone who has worked in marketing & communications for some of the largest, iconic brands in the world, I can tell you that your observations are spot on. What we (big brands) spent on vast research to understand the upcoming generations would make whatever the dive industry spent on research in this space look like a rounding error. What did that research tell us...? Three big things.

First and foremost, it is about relationships. They don't trust advertising or programs, they trust what their friends tell them.
They want to be heard. Give THEM the platform to tell THEIR stories - why do you think Facebook was so successful?
They want to part of something bigger- things that matter. For example, how about dive trips to do reef restoration? You mentioned SUDS - another great example. Get them involved in a good cause related to diving.

My $.02 - your milage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom