Aquanauts CDC Pattaya, Course Director Roger Smith EXPELLED from PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there in Pattaya one shop who's worthy of the name "5 star" diving center?

Is there in Pattaya one shop who's worthy of the name "5 star" diving center?

PADI seem to think there are. The defunct DC that are the subject of this thread in my mind certainly never were, along with several others.

I hear some good feedback about mermaids, who's core business is IDC Internships, I can not comment on that, but can say purely as diving customer, they leave a lot to be desired.

The only two shops in the area I would personally use or have recommended are Real Divers or Adventure divers, and having received recently negative feedback from two separate friends about the latter (I understand there has been a change of ownership at Adventure divers of recent years) I now will recommend only Real Divers. They seem to be maintaining a decent standard judging by feedback on a recent thread on Scubaboard.

I do think it's time that Padi,to visit Pattaya and take a look. In Pattaya, safety and the standards are two words what doesn't exist in their dictionary in the Pattaya's dive centers, my sense.

I believe you are mistaken.

Maybe so, as I said 'I believe',because I have not dived with them for some time myself, so am only going on what I have been told, which was that one of the previous owners has relocated and now has a shop in Koh Chang. But the negative feedback I mentioned came from very reliable sources, and I must say I was most surprised given my personal experiences in past years, I always found them to be one of the best shops in Pattaya.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 11:32 PM ----------

I do think it's time that Padi,to visit Pattaya and take a look. In Pattaya, safety and the standards are two words what doesn't exist in their dictionary in the Pattaya's dive centers, my sense.

I agree entirely, there are several shops that need to book their ideas up.

I'm sure that as a PADI Pro you have reported all violations you have witnessed?

@ Stevenl

What will the consequences be? You may forget, this is in Pattaya, Thailand.
I am not world-weary.

PADI comes every month to examine the IDCs. Surely they have a look at what is going on then.

PADI comes every month to examine the IDCs. Surely they have a look at what is going on then.

No, they don't. The person that comes to Pattaya for the IE's (the exams), is an examiner. His job is to examine IDC candidates during an IE and he physically won't have the time to deal with anything else (and it's not his job description).
The actual IDC's are conducted by PADI Course Directors and not by examiners. The examiners are only at each IE location for 2 or 3 days when the IE's are conducted.

Even if you would walk up to him or her (the examiner) and tell him/her what you saw or experienced, most likely he/she will advise you to contact the Regional manager, which in this case, at this moment, is Tim Hunt or to contact PADI directly in Sydney. The examiners would contact the main office if something would happen or if he/she would observe something during an IE, but I have a gut feeling that everybody will be on his best behavior during an official PADI program like an IE.

Tim does visit Pattaya on a fairly regular base, but if nobody tells him what's going on, nothing will change. Without a formal complaint, PADI can't and won't do very much. PADI will also not follow up on hearsay and I seriously doubt they follow these forums. Even if they would follow these forums, it would be all considered hearsay.

Stevenl had a very good point a few posts back, if you witness a breach of standards, as a PADI Pro, you should file a report. Without leads/reports, PADI can't and most likely won't take any action.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom