Scubapro MK25/S600, Mares V32 Proton Ice or Zeagle Flathead VI/ZX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalekainxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i'm looking to purchase a new regulator system. Mostly for cold water diving, which one would you guys recommend? Had a regulator free flow on me once due to icing, so I want something that won't do that. Sucks especially if your out doing a long surface swim!

Zeagle DSV with ZX second stage and ZX Octo. Environmentally sealed and will not require detuning like the SP will for cold water.

I have not used the Flathead VI but if it's Zeagle it's good for cold water.

You're picking between 3 great ones... we sell all 3 and based on the guys that really dive cold, I'd say I'll agree with Quarrior. Personally, I think the only time ice and scuba should get together is in the rum and coke after my night dive, but I've got some guys who teach for me that were from the north, and the Zeagle is a top choice amongst them.

I would vote for the zeagle aswell. I thnik that the Apeks line is most popular where you are but Zeagle is damn near the exact same. You choice for the Flathead would be best. Environmentally sealed, heat sinked and adjustable with a lifetime parts deal. Not to shabby. The difference with that one and the other two is that first of all it is the only one that is sealed. Secon the scubapro is of open port design. Works well in the pool but even though they say that they do things to coutner the cold, I think that you are best off with the environmentally sealed diaphragm that is the Zeagle.

The Proton Ice is a fine choice, and it can be serviced pretty much anywhere in the world. The ScubaPro is another great reg, but is not a sound choice for diving in water below 50 degrees. The Zeagle is basically a modified version of an Apeks design. It, too, is a dandy. The only problem with Zeagle is there are few dealers worldwide compared to Mares and ScubaPro.

Greg

scubatoys:
Personally, I think the only time ice and scuba should get together is in the rum and coke after my night dive....

I could not have said it better myself.

Mark

Surface swim, cold, and SCUBA gear.... a bad combination. Do not breath you SCUBA gear on the surface in cold weather. That WILL cause icing. The first and second stage should be below water to transfer heat/cold. Don't even take a test breath until you are under water. My Mares has been solid to 38 deg F. SPs are know to have cold water issues.

Don't forget about Atomic. The M1 is a great reg too. Whatever you choose from your list you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom