Buying First Reg Set - help me compare! (Scubapro MK25/S600, Oceanic CDX5/GT3, EDX/Delta 5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

always upgrade in future, when circumstances permit... my other half would make use of anything that I upgraded from. Right now the priority is some reliable regs for some desperately-needed mental health time :)
You should keep the old set and let the other half has the latest:wink:.
Cheers.

Thanks, @BoltSnap - I really appreciate the advice. This is what I'm leaning towards, and I've requested to see a copy of the most recent service record (I'll get it inspected as well). I wish I had an unlimited budget to consider some of the previous suggestions, but this would give me room to grow. :)

I'd forget about previous service records, I'd still have it fully serviced per mfg. standards at an authorized SP dealer. Please note that even if you have to pay for the service, you are actually saving lots of money since you really don't have to buy a new one later at all. This combo is a top notch combo where it will be difficult to find another combo that beats it. People use it for diving to great depths and it is almost one of the standard combos in technical diving. Make sure that you get a decent octopus with it.

Skip few meals and get it serviced properly with a decent octo. :)

Will do. (Except the skipping the meals part, heh. Can't guarantee that one. :p)

Will do. (Except the skipping the meals part, heh. Can't guarantee that one. :p)

Good luck to you and PM if you need any advice :)

I suppose it could be. I guess being new, it's nice to sort things out in person so I can develop my own understanding (ask questions at the time, have someone point to a component when describing what was fixed etc). :)

Atomic, Hollis, Oceanpro, Zeagle are also stocked. Very small LDS that isn't open frequently at the moment (long story), so I'd have to pre-book an appointment to browse. Please let me know your thought process about Option 4 being unused for 4yrs, as I dare say the other secondhand sets are probably similar circumstances (I'd be checking service history and stagnant time for each set when enquiring). Assuming things like o-rings etc would need checking (edit to add: the hoses are all brand new with that set). I'm not in a hot or humid climate.
Zeagle is a good regulator in my experience; haven't dove or serviced the others.

Who is charging you $200 for a CDX5 conversion kit?!!!.
It's a $50 USD set of parts. It takes less than 5 minutes to do. If this is your LDS, find new one!
Seriously, I'm an Oceanic trained tech and I could get a kit through my local shop if I wanted one. When I converted my CDx5's to DIN the total cost was around $80 for both of them and I did it myself.
Now, that said, I hate the Oceanic seconds. They work but are a pain the butt compared to other barrel type seconds to service. The Alpha's were the lower end seconds. I had a pair of Delta 4's and GT3's on mine.
When I couldn't easily get parts for them, I used them as paper weights and put HOG classic seconds on the CDX5's.

Also, I'm noticing the general theme of steering away from Oceanic - would love to know people's thoughts as to why :) Thanks so much for all the responses so far, I'm really appreciating it and I'm considering every suggestion!
I’ve noticed that as well, and not sure why. Some of it is probably a bit of bias toward another brand. I’d take a lot of that with a grain of salt. If it’s from past experience, it may not be relevant anymore, as ownership changed not long ago. If more recent, might be some merit, but could also be tied to some challenges related to the ownership change.

That said, if I were to buy a new regulator tomorrow, it would likely not be an Oceanic. Not really against Oceanic, there are just other brands I’d look at first.

Atomic, Hollis, Oceanpro, Zeagle are also stocked. Very small LDS that isn't open frequently at the moment (long story), so I'd have to pre-book an appointment to browse.
I’m not at all familiar with Oceanpro, so can’t comment on them.

Atomic, Hollis, Oceanic, and Zeagle are all (now) part of the same company.

Oceanic and Hollis always were as both were started by Bob Hollis (along with Pelagic Pressure Systems, but PPS is more focused on computers). Hollis brand was focused more toward tech divers, while Oceanic was geared more recreational, but most of that was marketing more than capabilities.

Atomic makes great gear. Started by a couple of ScubaPro Engineers. You can spend a ton of money on Atomics, but it isn’t required. All regs in their current lineup share just about everything other than materials. They all breathe the same.

Zeagle also makes great gear. Currently made in the same place as the Atomics. I have three sets of Zeagle regs in the family. Regs range in age from a few months to around 18 years old. All work great.

I regularly use both Atomic and Zeagle regulators. The only hesitancy I’d valve with recommending either of these would be service availability, but it sounds like you have a shop that can handle that.

Who is charging you $200 for a CDX5 conversion kit?!!!.
It's a $50 USD set of parts. It takes less than 5 minutes to do. If this is your LDS, find new one!

Definitely not the LDS coming at me with that quote - that's what I saw from an online search. Looks like I'd be able to pick up the whole first stage for $200 anyway if I went that route (but it looks like I'm going to head down the Scubapro path!).

Side note: you mentioned HOG regs, I was considering one of their Octos to replace the junk occy that'd come with the MK25/S600. They seem very affordable, but I don't know much about their reliability at the lower price end. Thoughts? (Alternatively, I'll look at a SP R095 or R195.)

Atomic, Hollis, Oceanic, and Zeagle are all (now) part of the same company.

Thanks for the read @Belzelbub - that was really interesting!

I did see this listing, he's on the other side of the country to me and I don't think he's keen to separate at this stage otherwise I would've made an offer on the regs :) Thanks for linking!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom