Buying First Reg Set - help me compare! (Scubapro MK25/S600, Oceanic CDX5/GT3, EDX/Delta 5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are they going to get the parts for just one octo.? Also, if they aren't certified by the mfg., technically they shouldn't touch it even if they are capable of servicing it. Australia isn't exactly a country next door. I don't see the point of getting a HOG octo if HOG has no support or presence there. It would make more sense to buy a brand that is supported in the OP's area even if it isn't a SP brand. I would go with a SP Octo. just to keep things easier to service and source parts for them. I have had different brands for octos and main regulators and it was a nightmare trying to synchronize the service and tuning the second stages when I had to send them to different service centers. It is much simpler and a lot less headache and much less expensive to keep it all in one family (adding a part that isn't even supported in the country is another headache and major pain to say the least). The HOG octo maybe cheaper to buy but it will cost money to ship to Australia, pay duty and then worry about how to service, WHY go through all of this for a HOG brand???
For the second stage it really doesn’t matter, this from an “I do my own” point of view, a second stage service kit is generally o-rings and a soft seat, the O-rings are generic and the Hog, if memory serves, will use the same seat as the SP. the hog is a better second stage than the downstream demand type usually recommended as a safe second and pretty cheap, still if someone wants to stay with one brand I would still always suggest a balanced reg, even if it is complete overkill on 99.999% of the dives.

Don't buy the lower end HOG octo. Get a Classic Second and a hose and you won't have to worry about it.

HOGclassic second stages are very good and don’t cost much.

Cheers guys, I'll keep that in mind :)

The OP is in Australia, isn't she? Is HOG available and easily supported there?

Yes, available here though not widely, they are sold through a business I know and trust (not the LDS but a place I'd be happy to send my gear off to). I was the one who queried Jim about the HOG in the first place so his feedback was definitely sought. SP octo is 99% likely anyway but the HOG info may assist when the other half decides to start diving (he won't be a frequent diver at all!).

I think I've gathered enough info for now, folks - I will get back to you all once I have a set in my hands. Thank you everyone for helping me out! :)

But the prudent would avoid facilitators to excessive spending
buy something beautiful like these at $100-$200 and go diving

full.jpg

Console included

Plus postage

Serviced

@happy-diver - that's an amazing deal and I really appreciate the offer, I had bookmarked that as my backup plan however...

..I have been in communications with the seller of the MK25/S600, and I have just paid for them. :) Soon as they arrive in the mail, I'll get them serviced and then finish off the kit with a combo of LDS-supplied components and also bits from the good folks at ODG (I've dealt with the owner Ron before - he's amazing!).

Thanks everyone!

He is a good guy, and Dutch

Magnificent!

MK25/S600 is a great choice. I had oceanics and Zeagles - still have a couple of Flatheads VI /ZX. Oceanics are gone , I sold half of the Zeagles and all the new regs I get are Scubapros. They are better made than Zeagles
(second stages).

I would suggest to have it overhauled by an authorized dealer. Not just inspected. The fact the the reg was in the water only a couple of times within the last 4 years is not necessarily good. Especially if used in the salt water.

Please note one thing about S600, the older versions came with plastic barrels , the newer since some years ago come with metal ones. As you have the reg serviced by an authorized dealer ask them to check and upgrade the barrel to metal if yours have a plastic one. It's an extra cost but it is absolutely worth it - the reg breathes not as dry and metal barrels do not crack. Any authorized SP dealer should be able to do it for you. If you do it at the service time it's just the part cost added.

For an octo get another SP second stage. It will be easier to service and SPs second stages are good.

MK25/S600 is a great choice. I had oceanics and Zeagles - still have a couple of Flatheads VI /ZX. Oceanics are gone , I sold half of the Zeagles and all the new regs I get are Scubapros. They are better made than Zeagles
(second stages).

I would suggest to have it overhauled by an authorized dealer. Not just inspected. The fact the the reg was in the water only a couple of times within the last 4 years is not necessarily good. Especially if used in the salt water.

Please note one thing about S600, the older versions came with plastic barrels , the newer since some years ago come with metal ones. As you have the reg serviced by an authorized dealer ask them to check and upgrade the barrel to metal if yours have a plastic one. It's an extra cost but it is absolutely worth it - the reg breathes not as dry and metal barrels do not crack. Any authorized SP dealer should be able to do it for you. If you do it at the service time it's just the part cost added.

For an octo get another SP second stage. It will be easier to service and SPs second stages are good.

Thanks @elan - I'll note that about the barrel and the servicing. Re: the octo, I picked up a new R195 occy, love it already (even if I have nothing to hook it up to yet as everything else is still enroute!). Couldn't be happier. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom