Buying First Reg Set - help me compare! (Scubapro MK25/S600, Oceanic CDX5/GT3, EDX/Delta 5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arcelia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hiya folks, this is my first post on ScubaBoard so I hope I'm putting it in the right spot!

I'm currently weighing up my options for my first set of regulators/gauges. I completed my OW earlier this year and anticipate that I will be doing mostly local shore dives, not terribly deep (average 3-5M/9-15ft), temperate conditions with the lowest temp typically being 11-12ºC/low 50's F. Local charters might take me 2-3x this depth but I won't be doing them regularly.

These are the current options I'm considering, reliability is my priority as well as easy breathing at my usual depth. I would prefer a DIN connection as I can see myself gravitating to this for future adaptations to my kit (I will keep a Yoke adapter in the rare instance of going on charter trips). Prices are in Australian $ but take about 25% off to get the $USD value.

Option 1 (New):
Oceanic EDX (DIN) / Delta 5, probably Alpha 8 Octopus, basic SPG. ~$900
Thoughts - priciest option but wouldn't need an immediate service, would be supporting LDS (though I'll be supporting them with courses etc in future anyway, so they'll get my $$ either way).

Option 2 (New in box, but stored for a few years):
Oceanic CDX5 (Yoke) / GT3 with Alpha 9 Occy, Triple console SPG/Veo 1.0 computer/compass. ~$450

Thoughts - best value deal, would probably need a gear inspection due to long term storage, I've already got a wrist computer but the backup could be handy. Too expensive to convert to DIN as the conversion kit is $200... but I could probably upgrade and offload this set to the husband in time.

Option 3 (Used for a couple of dives, a few years old):
Oceanic CDX5 (DIN) / GT3 with Mares Prestige Occy, Sherwood SPG/depth gauge combo, comes with an as-new DIN standard size steel 12.2L cylinder as well. ~$900

Thoughts - Haven't queried the hydro date yet, so I could be up for both hydro and servicing. Would be very convenient to have the DIN cylinder and fittings ready to go, as Australia mostly uses Yoke. I have access to properly filtered refills.

Option 4 (Used, serviced 4yrs ago and stored since):
Scubapro MK25 Evo (Yoke) / S600 with junk Occy, no gauges. $500

Thoughts - I would be replacing the Occy as it is a rather low quality one, I would also need to buy gauges and a quick inspection as well. Not as expensive to convert to DIN as the CDX5, I'd be looking at approx. $75 for the part. LDS is not a Scubapro dealer, but I am within driving distance of a service centre.

Sorry, this is a lot to digest - but I hope someone can point out some pros and cons of the above for my intended diving! Thanks everyone. :)

Option 4 (Used, serviced 4yrs ago and stored since):
Scubapro MK25 Evo (Yoke) / S600 with junk Occy, no gauges. $500

I'd choose this as long as it is properly serviced and performing according to mfg. specs.

AT20 US4 & AT20 Occy Regulator Set Yoke

ask them if they can price match jetty dive au for 600 dollaroos. can be upgraded to atx40 if you ever get into colder water. unfortunately couldn't find anyone selling the atx40/ds4 set in oz.

xtx50/xtx40/dst set is right around 1000 aud also if you don't mind the extra cost and can be purchased in din off the shelf.

Thanks for the Apeks recommendations, however their nearest service centre would be a full day trip for me, I live far from metro regions. Not to say the LDS couldn't get parts (I guess the same could be said for my Scubapro option), but I'd rather steer clear :)

would be supporting LDS (though I'll be supporting them with courses etc in future anyway, so they'll get my $$ either way).
What else can they offer other than Oceanic?
Supporting your LDS has nothing to do to buy inferior equipment.

Option 4 has been sitting there for 4 yrs!

@Arcelia is mailing the regs in when needed for servicing not an option?

I suppose it could be. I guess being new, it's nice to sort things out in person so I can develop my own understanding (ask questions at the time, have someone point to a component when describing what was fixed etc). :)

What else can they offer other than Oceanic?
Supporting your LDS has nothing to do to buy inferior equipment.

Option 4 has been sitting there for 4 yrs!

Atomic, Hollis, Oceanpro, Zeagle are also stocked. Very small LDS that isn't open frequently at the moment (long story), so I'd have to pre-book an appointment to browse. Please let me know your thought process about Option 4 being unused for 4yrs, as I dare say the other secondhand sets are probably similar circumstances (I'd be checking service history and stagnant time for each set when enquiring). Assuming things like o-rings etc would need checking (edit to add: the hoses are all brand new with that set). I'm not in a hot or humid climate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom