ScubaPro HUD (new computer on the market)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will say that I talked to the owner of a pretty prominent shop up in Canada back not long before DEMA.

He told me about a prototype HUD computer from a "well-respected" manufacturer that was coming out. I'm pretty sure it must have been this SP HUD.

This shop owner had been given a prototype to dive for a while and provide feedback. He said that he was pretty skeptical at first. But, after diving it a bit he totally fell in love with it and begged them to let him buy the prototype from them. This particular shop owner is a serious technical and cold water diver, who dives a LOT. So, I put a decent amount of weight on his opinion.

I reckon I will refrain from knocking it too much until such time as I have gotten to really try it, or I've seen/heard some reviews from sources I trust.

SCUBAPRO Shows Off New Heads Up Display Computer at DEMA | reefdivers.io

Scubapro-head-up-display.jpg

I tried it out at DEMA. Meh. I don't see any advantage over the NERD other the mask thing. They had it on a Gorilla mask which they had drilled out to accommodate the computer. Can't see SP setting the world ablaze with this one. The Chinese booth next to SP were taking dozens of pictures of the device on day one so SP moved it backstage behind a curtain. Only viewable with a sales rep. Expect some copycats outta the land of Mao pretty soon.
How much longer should I keep expecting a NERD copycats to come outta the land of Mao?
I mean, if they’re gonna do it from pictures taken from a booth at a trade show, imagine what they’d do with a product that they have in hand, since the NERD has been out for quite some time now.
Just trying to understand the logic here

For those interested here is the link to the HUD user manual.
https://www.scubapro.com/sites/scub...5.1037744314.1547071753-1816505427.1546445296

There are some differences compared to the G2. Obviously, as previously discussed, they have added Gradient Factors and GPS positioning. But they have dropped the adaptation to "Workload" while still referring to the algorithm as ZH-L16 ADT (Adaptable). On the G2, the algorithm was subject to the estimation of increased Workload. Factors influencing Workload were breathing rate, heart rate, skin temperature, water temperature and ascent rate. The HUD doesn't come with a chest strap so heart rate and skin temperature is not measured. There is no breathing rate sensitivity adjustment indicated in the manual so breathing rate is not used to estimate Workload either. The only ADT factors remaining are water temperature and ascent rate. So I guess that is why they have kept the ADT acronym.

Another difference to the G2 is that they have reduced the Micobubble settings on the HUD from 9 to 5 levels which is equivalent to the old Galileo series. When I reviewed the G2, I posted this question on Scubaboard but got no reply;
Scubapro G2 Why 9 Microbubble Levels?
Perhaps Scubapro asked the same question and decided 9 Micobubble levels were a bit over the top!:facepalm:

As for Gradient Factors for the G2, I can only expect it will be upgraded with a new firmware to keep it in the running.

Finally, one thing I would like to see on the HUD would be SurfGF which is currently offered on the Shearwater Teric. It would be neat if one could run the ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG in the foreground but have the Gradient Factor algorithm running in the background but displaying SurfGF. This would allow divers to get a better feel of the two algorithms working in tandem. Or even have both run in parallel where the GF would be set up as a more liberal bailout profile if required; similar to what the Mares Genius is offering.

Who knew lifting your arm was so much work. My biggest fear about something like this would have to with the fact that it's a loose piece of really expensive gear. Masks get tossed into snot buckets, knocked overboard, stolen... No thanks.

I like the fact companies are trying to further these progress wise. Problem is the market isn’t large enough it seems for more to jump into the game

I am a gear junky but that's too cumbersome of a contraption with too many practical (i.e. small wet boat diving) drawbacks and too few benefits over a wrist-mount to really tickle my interest.

Yeah, really, why would I want a huge, bulky attachment to my mask in a strong current, and a big plastic thing blocking 25% of my vision, compared to my wrist computer? This thing makes no sense at all.

Oh, and I just saw that it is only compatible with two-lens masks, reducing your field of vision even further . . .

Yeah, really, why would I want a huge, bulky attachment to my mask in a strong current, and a big plastic thing blocking 25% of my vision, compared to my wrist computer? This thing makes no sense at all.

Oh, and I just saw that it is only compatible with two-lens masks, reducing your field of vision even further . . .

Actually I’ve seen it on a Frameless one panel mask. It takes a drill and some drilling).

Back
Top Bottom