ScubaPro HUD (new computer on the market)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
@Pavao just posted about this in another thread. Thanks!

ScubaPro has a new dive computer coming out called the HUD (or Galileo HUD?).

I can't find anything on the U.S. ScubaPro website (of course). But they have it on the LeisurePro website, listed as on Back Order, and with a price of $1699 (with AI transmitter).

Scubapro HUD (Heads-Up Display) + Transmitter

Pavao said this computer supports the Buhlmann ZHL-16C w/Gradient Factors algorithm, which would be a first for ScubaPro, as far as I know.

The info on the LP website doesn't say what algorithm it runs, but it does say that it supports trimix and also Closed Circuit mode.

It is also listed on the SimplyScuba website.

Galileo HUD Computer

There, it does say you can choose from 2 different algorithms. One of them is shown as "ZH-L16 GF".

It also has GPS built in.

It clips onto "any" dual pane mask (they claim).

On paper, it sounds pretty cool. In the pictures, it looks like quite a monstrosity. But, they say it's neutrally buoyant, so maybe you won't really notice the bulk in use.

Anyway... more info? Please post it here.

No it’s not big at all and won’t feel the weight, I have never used any other hud but I thought it was pretty cool, the display just “floats” in front of your face and it’s not there if you’re not paying attention to it, and just lift your eyes and all the info is instantly there

the resolution seems lacking though, 96x64 pixels? the nerd 2 is 320x240 or about 12 times as many pixels.

confirmation that it is amoled screen and not failtastic pmoled?

and man you really don't want to lose your mask with this attached ...

And the NERD is supposed to appear as if it’s 12 feet away. The ScubaPro info says it appears as if it’s 3 feet away.

I’m old and my up close vision sucks now. I wonder if this means I could read a NERD but might struggle to read the SP.

-snip-
It is also listed on the SimplyScuba website.

Galileo HUD Computer
-snip-
Ok, This could be interesting ... HUD, WAI and good algorithm ... IF the display actually is reasonable in information/layout and quality it might make me jump this way instead of into Shearwater's camp. One solution to a limited display resolution might be a form of rapid auto scrolling/flipping to allow more information to be displayed than can fit on the screen at one time - I don't like waiting for my desired info to appear, but overall, the hand-free aspect MAY be easier / less time-consuming than using a wrist-mount.

The Push Wheel interface could be a fast and easy interface.

Look like it will be pretty easy to devise mounts for it.

PREORDER PRICING: LP wants $1700 now. SS has it for £1,130.00 which is a little under $1500 dollar now. More than a Perdix/Teric, less than a NERD2 (including transmitters).

I'll be in England in April. If Brexit kills the Pound and they aren't jacking the price in response, I see a scenario where my souvenir from the trip might be from SP and cost way less than even a Perdix/Teric solution.

Did some more research ...

FWIW These guys say they have it in stock: https://www.diversdestinationla.com/products/galileo-hud---transmitter_0

Some good info, including screen-shots, in this .pdf: https://www.donkey-divers.com/system-content/uploads/2018/12/Galileo-HUD-Sales-Presentation_ENG.pdf

Does not appear to support a second transmitter, so WAI looks limited to a single-source of gas (i.e. no independent doubles).
Does not look like it is going to be easy to mount on "generic" frameless masks.

I like that it clips to a mask and not a regulator hose, like the NERD.

I don't like that is seems to show less data at one time than what the NERD can do. And from the pictures, it kinda looks like the info is more "grainy" (? lower resolution?) than a NERD.

I don't like the AI support if it's only 1 transmitter. Why support CC mode and not support at least the 2 transmitters you would need if you wanted to use it on a CCR (with AI)? I plan to use my Shearwaters with 2 transmitters on my CCR, so I can ditch the SPGs.

I really like that Shearwater works with a "generic" AI transmitter. I am now pretty heavily invested in those transmitters, so I will be sticking with computers that work with them. At least until a computer comes along that is truly BETTER (not just on par) than the Shearwater and other offerings.

And, yeah, if it will only clip to ScubaPro masks, then it's probably out, no matter what. It's hard to find a mask that really FITS. For SP to assume they can really FIT every face seems a bit arrogant. Or maybe they don't assume that, but they only CARE about those people that they can fit (as far as selling them a HUD goes).

Fingers crossed for Shearwater to come out with a NERD3 that attaches to a mask. And is less bulky than this SP HUD. And uses wireless for a DiveCAN interface, so it can still have live monitoring of CCR O2 sensors, without a cable running from the diver's mask to the CCR.

I tried it out at DEMA. Meh. I don't see any advantage over the NERD other the mask thing. They had it on a Gorilla mask which they had drilled out to accommodate the computer. Can't see SP setting the world ablaze with this one. The Chinese booth next to SP were taking dozens of pictures of the device on day one so SP moved it backstage behind a curtain. Only viewable with a sales rep. Expect some copycats outta the land of Mao pretty soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom