Restructuring Florida, The Vote...

Do you agree with the proposed forum structure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans:
Why don't you post this in Site Support / Suggestions. I think it merits its own discussion.
Same reason people don't like going to the dentist... it ain't gonna be fun.
I've been considering it, but in this environment the ramifications of such a change are going to make me a lighting rod before I even get to meet most of my 'neighbors'. And unlike you, El Orans, I live and dive here...

However, I agree it needs to be done, so I've started a
Forum threshold increase thread

Wonder if any Conchs will post?

(did I just become a scape goat?)

For the most part, I check new posts when I log in here. I've gotten better at looking to see what forum I'm in, but I don't always do that. I do subscribe to some specific forums - Arizona, Florida, and Cave Diving - just to make sure I don't miss anything in those forums. I do like the N. Florida subforum because that's the part of Florida I'm in. Once in Florida full-time, I'll be making more regular trips to S. Florida and will look there more.

Oceanus, I do agree that there are too many subforums with very little to no activity. I've posted in your new thread.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Its a public board, everyone is allowed the right to post and reply to anything posted. My personal reply contained a REAL answer to your ACTUAL question. If you'd like a reply to your question from the original poster, and nobody else, there is a PM feature on this forum... You are very welcome :crafty:
While it was a REAL answer, it was not germain to my ACTUAL question from the ORIGINAL POSTER. You may wish to (and did) choose to answer from YOUR perspective. AND, is therefore discounted... THANK YOU!

Oceanus:
It's only my opinion, but since you asked...
Yes and no... I only oppose the ridiculously low threshold of 12. I strongly disagree that just 12 people should constitute a separate forum as the subforum creates a barrier. I strongly prefer the comradery of the single forum and subforums can only diminish the overall site comradery. Generally members will only actively participant in "their subforum" (I'm guilty). Most are probably not going to look in the other regions/clubs and thus will never even be aware of those discussions/events, but would participate if it were in the single/main fourm. I would prefer/ask/suggest/advocate the any 'club' first try a running thread. Were I in charge, I would require a 3 month running thread as demonstrable proof that there was a legitimate need for a subforum plus some other reasonable hurdles.

It really frustrates me that an overwhelming majority can so easily have their will circumvented by just 12 members.

While I'm at it... I don't understand the "Trips" subforum. I understand the "Marketplace" (classifieds) aspect, but the 'trips' threads seem to be similar to the normal forum.? Why can't the trips & reports just be done in the 'main forum'?

I sincerely regret the 'strong discussion' that the restructuring has created and fear it will only diminish relations between members (who haven't even met before) and look forward to more time discussing and actually diving.
Thank you for your perspective. I understand more about it now. :wink:

Marvel:
I believe that an "aye" vote is for one forum. Don't even worry about clubs at this time- that will come later on an ad hoc basis. Under the unified forum structure, all trips will be posted in one place, all reports in the main forum. For those wants to have the Florida forum split into regions, vote "nay."

Hope that clarifies things a little....:D

Thank you, my dear, but after voting has been going on for over 24 hours, it's too late to clarify.

Has anyone noticed that out of all the members, ONLY 53 have voted. Not many people care do they?

HarleyDiver_FL:
Has anyone noticed that out of all the members, ONLY 53 have voted. Not many people care do they?
You are correct. The vast majority of SBer's care little or nothing about it :wink:

SeaYoda :pftroest: You have been open and willing. That said, in same/similar discussions dating back nearly two years it is the same discussion, again. A few different vocal players but still the same. When it turns to an argument... well I can't be bothered. I'm only a member here. That was my only reason for not bothering anymore with the thread. :D

As for your numbers; I don't keep all of my pm's, a 1000k mailbox is too small. ...And I am being honest there. I do know, if people don't find me, I am chasing them down to assist them. The Greater Tampa Area in particular has grown by leaps and bounds due to the willingness of its people. Note, we capture new ones all the time :light: CMUFieldHockey somehow escaped our grasp. Note though she is not too far :winky:

One area that has not grown, and should by all standards be huge, is the Spring/Cave Country. Like the Keys, it is its own planet. We lose many potential members/dive buddies by having essentially nothing for them. If you leave a mouse a crumb, eventually your mouse/mice will multiply :D I'm standing up for them and I don't even care for the springs and caves! I only ever go to see my friends/other SB'ers and enjoy the camaraderie.

It is said not to worry about the clubs just yet. However, all of this goes hand-in- hand.

Keep in mind, I like the idea of of one main Conch forum. However, somewhere, preferably on the main page, where new SB'ers can spot it like a bulls-eye, there needs to be a separate geographical FAQ sheet for our main areas. For those of us that are regulars here, we won't even notice them after a while, unless someone posts to them (the new member or visitor that we can make feel at home and hopefully keep). This gives us/SB room to grow. Puts us in a better position to catch and help people along.

There was/is a list of conchs. Some new people do find their way there; however, I don't know of anyone who pays any attention to it.

CoolTech:
You are correct. The vast majority of SBer's care little or nothing about it :wink:

Absolutely! Many get comfy in their spot and don't think of others. I don't mean that in a bad way. Some just don't have the desire or time to assist. They just go along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom