Restructuring Florida, Take Two...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Florida has never been part of that forum. The Florida forum predates the Deep Dixie forum.
And yet of April's postings on the Oriskany, which is off Pensacola, FLORIDA, there are 7 in the Conch & North FL forums, and 9 in Deep Dixie.
Face it, from both a cultural and "diving area" perspective, the Panhandle is in LA, not the "Conch Republic." And that reality should be reflected in the forums. :D
Pot's stirred now...
Rick

Rick Murchison:
And yet of April's postings on the Oriskany, which is off Pensacola, FLORIDA, there are 7 in the Conch & North FL forums, and 9 in Deep Dixie.
Face it, from both a cultural and "diving area" perspective, the Panhandle is in LA, not the "Conch Republic." And that reality should be reflected in the forums. :D
Pot's stirred now...
Rick
But Rick, that would be what we are actually doing - this is a theoretical exercise :rofl3:

Pot stirred some more :eyebrow:

SeaYoda:
But Rick, that would be what we are actually doing - this is a theoretical exercise :rofl3:

Pot stirred some more :eyebrow:
Why does this thread have me thinking of gumbo?
Man, I need to get to the coast!
Rick

howarde:
I would happily cast my vote (if I had one) for 1 forum... but if there is going to be divisions, they should be at least mostly acceptable.

Like many Conchs, I've been watching this thread & I'm going to weigh in WITH MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION!!! (Got it? :D)

Howard, if you think one forum is the best option, by all means, cast your vote for that instead of agreeing to something that you do not really want. Same with everyone else who would like to see the old structure restored. If there is a clear majority, we will listen. If the single forum fails to win a majority, then we can work together to come up with a structure that will work the best for the most people. IOW, a simple vote to split or reemerge should be taken first. If splitting the forums wins out, then we move on to how it should be structured.

As a Conch, a single form is actually my preference as well. I miss the old unified forum greatly, as do many other folks I know. Trips & planned dives should be in the Trips & Marketplace section, discussion & dive reports should be in the main forum. If there are regions that want to have "clubs" to hang out & chat, or to create informational stickies about the diving in their area, that's fine but if they are planning to get together & dive on a certain day it should be posted in a central location for all to see. That's a huge part of what made the Conch famous for their hospitality- hospitality that was know & appreciated by SB members world-wide. I miss that. I don't want a planned dive in my side yard buried in a location that someone from elsewhere doesn't see without searching for it. Used to be that we would get folks from all over joining us on a whim. Sadly, that participation has dropped since the split.

Again, this is all simply my own personal opinion...

Heck, All I know is, All of a sudden, SCUBABOARD is harder for me to navigate. I'm not a computer genius, Hell, I'm lucky I can turn the dang thing on. The way it was before was working for me and I was getting used to it. Florida Conch Divers was a forum that I could get into, post and reply as needed. Now i can't even find it really. ***???

Who's freakin brain fart was it to change things around anyway?

HarleyDiver_FL:
Heck, All I know is, All of a sudden, SCUBABOARD is harder for me to navigate. I'm not a computer genius, Hell, I'm lucky I can turn the dang thing on. The way it was before was working for me and I was getting used to it. Florida Conch Divers was a forum that I could get into, post and reply as needed. Now i can't even find it really. ***???

Who's freakin brain fart was it to change things around anyway?

Without trying to sound like a smart*****,look at post 186.Then vote.
I am/was having the same issues as you are in some things.

The old single forum was much, much better than what it was changed to, or what we have now. I never understood the reasoning as to why the single Florida Forum was abandoned, some new mod said it would be better, but all it did was complicate the Conch Diver Forum! My vote is for a single unified forum. :palmtree: Bob

HarleyDiver_FL:
I'm not a computer genius, Hell, I'm lucky I can turn the dang thing on. The way it was before was working for me and I was getting used to it.

I am not a computer genius either...but my first job with computers was 1970 (that is not a typo), I have been doing online searches, and have had e-mail, for 19 years (that is not a typo), I earned my MLIS in the late 80s/early 90's, I work in a county IT department and you know what...I think the new structure is a PITA too. I have to click and scroll too many places. This is one of many forums I am active in and I appreciate how the others KISS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom