Restructuring Florida, The Vote...

Do you agree with the proposed forum structure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected:
Absolutely! Many get comfy in their spot and don't think of others. I don't mean that in a bad way. Some just don't have the desire or time to assist. They just go along.
well I voted.....not that i really have any strong feelings as to which way they do it....i was just finding ways to amuse myself without actually doing any work...mmm....wonder what i'll do for lunch...:huh:

:D

HarleyDiver_FL:
Has anyone noticed that out of all the members, ONLY 53 have voted. Not many people care do they?
That might be the same 53 who are active in posting threads and reading threads. 53 is a good percentage when only 100ish views of a thread are common in the forum (unless it is controversial like the split stuff or one of those on going chat things). That's over 50 per cent of active users that care and have voted.

Missdirected:
One area that has not grown, and should by all standards be huge, is the Spring/Cave Country. Like the Keys, it is its own planet. We lose many potential members/dive buddies by having essentially nothing for them. If you leave a mouse a crumb, eventually your mouse/mice will multiply :D I'm standing up for them and I don't even care for the springs and caves! I only ever go to see my friends/other SB'ers and enjoy the camaraderie.
Basically I agree. I think it's common knowledge the Cavers and Techies frequent other boards. I know I've seen similar 'handles' when I'm out... and would participate in "Cave/Cavern" discussions (hell, I might even start a running thread (crumb) after the dust settles just to see if there are any troglodytes around)

Oceanus:
I might even start a running thread (crumb) after the dust settles just to see if there are any troglodytes around)
Go ahead, it just might be the start of a new forum. :)

Oceanus:
Basically I agree. I think it's common knowledge the Cavers and Techies frequent other boards. I know I've seen similar 'handles' when I'm out... and would participate in "Cave/Cavern" discussions (hell, I might even start a running thread (crumb) after the dust settles just to see if there are any troglodytes around)

Great idea! You will find quite a few, here and there, do come. Perhaps if you work with them, they will stay. My understanding for the main two reasons they do not bother with SB;

1. Nothing here for them. SB lacks in easily accessible information and people (not that they haven't been here).
2. A serious discussion can not take place, as it is hi-jacked with people wanting to be goofy. They find this hi-jacking rampant and can not be bothered.

Now before everyone starts yelling there is a report button - they know this. I've spoken to quite a few but quite honestly my tech/spring/cave info is very limited. Beyond that, this arena of diving does not interest me in the slightest. I can say there is a heck of a lot to the spring/cave country and we lose people for not having readily available info or people.

Well in all fairness there is an active Tech area on SB here and one could argue that a "FL Cave" forum might be redundant or more appropriately placed there, hard to say... and I wouldn't want our restructuring 'stress' to spread any farther than necessary.

What is certain is that there is a significant population of techies, why they choose to post or not post is probably a case by case issue.

I trust the 'board will evolve into what the community needs/asks for (it's just a little painful).

Oceanus:
What is certain is that there is a significant population of techies, why they choose to post or not post is probably a case by case issue.

I wasn't throwing out guesses. I was speaking to what I have found (usually when I am trying to recruit or help people). Speak to some yourself and you will find the same.

Note, I am not arguing for what I would like. This discussion has taken place a couple of times over the last couple years. I will work with whatever. Again, I was only trying to relay where our "holes" are and how we might fix them rather than just changing things around again.

I am only a "techie" newbie, a cave neophyte if you will, but I can tell you that I don't dive with pickup buddies or someone I have met only through SB in a cave. I am pretty choosey with my cave buddies, and I think that is part of the reason that you don't see a lot of traffic from active cave divers here in the Conch section.

Besides that, we have a cave diving section in the Technical Diving subforum that does see a bit of use, and that very likely draws cavers to it instead of coming over here. There are some very well known cave divers who participate there.

As far as what we might call spring diving, there is a lot of stuff posted about here already (not that I would be averse to more).

scubafool:
I am only a "techie" newbie, a cave neophyte if you will, but I can tell you that I don't dive with pickup buddies or someone I have met only through SB in a cave. I am pretty choosey with my cave buddies, and I think that is part of the reason that you don't see a lot of traffic from active cave divers here in the Conch section.

Besides that, we have a cave diving section in the Technical Diving subforum that does see a bit of use, and that very likely draws cavers to it instead of coming over here. There are some very well known cave divers who participate there.

As far as what we might call spring diving, there is a lot of stuff posted about here already (not that I would be averse to more).

AKA
The rock crawlers OR the freshies... :D
Yes , I jump around a bit. I visit the Tech area on ScubaBoard quite often.
But I also come here to look first.

I agree with David. We usually don't post a lot of traffic on the main board.

Now , where's that line arrow? :confused:

Da Bean

P.S. I mean , how else would I find out about Invade the Keys , and other Salty trips. Also , I look for stuff happening up in the PanHandlers Springs , don't ya know. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom