Restructuring Florida, The Vote...

Do you agree with the proposed forum structure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I just love being an Administrator! :)

Why can't we just all get along and be Conch's ? (sigh)

Oh well , that's me ... Peacemaker ...
(looks around for Andy...) :D
See , what did I tell you?

Jeano Beano

CoolTech:
What you seem to be saying is that you oppose any group of locals who desire an area to meet, gab, plan tripsand invite others from around the world to enjoy diving and gabbing in their local area. Why?

There is an area for planning a meet, gab, planning trips, with invites and such in florida - the majority would simply like that to be a singular Florida forum with a singular Trips/Marketplace subforum.

Why? Because there isn't enough traffic to warrant more specific subforums in Floriday. Until there is, why make it more tedious to check throughout the state for something to do?

SuPrBuGmAn:
There is an area for planning a meet, gab, planning trips, with invites and such in Florida - the majority would simply like that to be a singular Florida forum with a singular Trips/Marketplace sub forum.

Why? Because there isn't enough traffic to warrant more specific sub forums in Floriday. Until there is, why make it more tedious to check throughout the state for something to do?
While that was a general answer, it was not the question directed to you, nor was it the requested that you attempt to answer the question posed. It was an ACTUAL question of the original poster for whom I have quoted, and I would like an actual answer from that person. It is a REAL question, and I really desire to know where their head is at. It will help me to understand why the "old timers" of the board fight so much to keep it from becoming regional to diving... Thank you

El Orans:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I just love being an Administrator! :)

Personally, I like a bunch of stuff you have implemented on the board. :) You have been doing a fantastic job IMO.

CoolTech:
While that was a general answer, it was not the question directed to you, nor was it the requested that you attempt to answer the question posed. It was an ACTUAL question of the original poster for whom I have quoted, and I would like an actual answer from that person. It is a REAL question, and I really desire to know where their head is at. It will help me to understand why the "old timers" of the board fight so much to keep it from becoming regional to diving... Thank you

Its a public board, everyone is allowed the right to post and reply to anything posted. My personal reply contained a REAL answer to your ACTUAL question. If you'd like a reply to your question from the original poster, and nobody else, there is a PM feature on this forum... You are very welcome :crafty:

Missdirected:
Mmmm, that is where I live, however, don't look for me to vote. I don't care to be caught up in this. :no This is the same argument - again. Admin could have just looked at the old threads. :ne_nau: Maybe asked for a bit of input from some people. Having everyone rip the rag doll to shreds... No worries though, I will happily work with whatever is decided. I just don't care to be involved in the same argument again, with no one willing to a little give and take or budge an inch.

But you have entered the argument :D.

This was no exercise in futility it was a great way to work through an issue. The last time was "Admin made the decision" without the input of those who use the forum. This was a new and great way to keep divers here on the board, which is what you say that you seek. As far as budging an inch goes, I can budge several feet if it is for the right reason and supported by the facts. I accepted the first split because it was at least workable, but this second one (sorry EL :D) made no sense. Great discussion was had and information was put on the table that can be used when the geographic split needs to occur.

I can't and don't speak for everyone that voted for the one forum but I take offense at being stereotyped in your post. I made my decision with new ideas and a wide open mind. I have to disagree that I'm one of the people you describe as "with no one willing to a little give and take or budge an inch". You will be getting a local group as you have argued for without "giving an inch". There are those, like in Tampa, that wish to have a group (I know you don't like the word club) that shares information locally. The board rules allow such groups so I support that. What is missing from your argument for change of the entire forum is any factual support. I made an honest effort to solicit information from those who experienced difficulty with the one forum concept and tried to get hard numbers to make a decision on. No one offered a real life situation they encountered and no hard numbers were available to support a change. The anecdotal evidence does not support the geographic division of the forum at this time. To say that everyone who voted for one forum is repeating the same old song is counter productive in my opinion. You won't win many supporters for your cause with that approach.

CoolTech:
Oceanus:
^kinda implies that a unified single forum is impossible, because any 12 members can decide they "need" a subforum...
12,000 members can vote they want a single unified forum (with no subforms), but just 12 can undermine the overwhelming majority ???

why bother having a poll, voting, or discussing
if it only takes 12 members to create a subforum it really doesn't matter what the majority want does it

way to much power given to the minority... doesn't make sense...
What you seem to be saying is that you oppose any group of locals who desire an area to meet, gab, plan trips and invite others from around the world to enjoy diving and gabbing in their local area. Why?
It's only my opinion, but since you asked...
Yes and no... I only oppose the ridiculously low threshold of 12. I strongly disagree that just 12 people should constitute a separate forum as the subforum creates a barrier. I strongly prefer the comradery of the single forum and subforums can only diminish the overall site comradery. Generally members will only actively participant in "their subforum" (I'm guilty). Most are probably not going to look in the other regions/clubs and thus will never even be aware of those discussions/events, but would participate if it were in the single/main fourm. I would prefer/ask/suggest/advocate the any 'club' first try a running thread. Were I in charge, I would require a 3 month running thread as demonstrable proof that there was a legitimate need for a subforum plus some other reasonable hurdles.

It really frustrates me that an overwhelming majority can so easily have their will circumvented by just 12 members.

While I'm at it... I don't understand the "Trips" subforum. I understand the "Marketplace" (classifieds) aspect, but the 'trips' threads seem to be similar to the normal forum.? Why can't the trips & reports just be done in the 'main forum'?

I sincerely regret the 'strong discussion' that the restructuring has created and fear it will only diminish relations between members (who haven't even met before) and look forward to more time discussing and actually diving.

Oceanus:
It's only my opinion, but since you asked...
Yes and no... I only oppose the ridiculously low threshold of 12. I strongly disagree that just 12 people should constitute a separate forum as the subforum creates a barrier. I strongly prefer the comradery of the single forum and subforums can only diminish the overall site comradery. Generally members will only actively participate in "their subforum" (I'm guilty). Most are probably not going to look in the other regions/clubs and thus will never even be aware of those discussions/events, but would participate if it were in the single/main forum. I would prefer/ask/suggest/advocate the any 'club' first try a running thread. Were I in charge, I would require a 3 month running thread as demonstrable proof that there was a legitimate need for a subforum plus some other reasonable hurdles.
Why don't you post this in Site Support / Suggestions. I think it merits its own discussion.

Oceanus:
While I'm at it... I don't understand the "Trips" subforum. I understand the "Marketplace" (classifieds) aspect, but the 'trips' threads seem to be similar to the normal forum.? Why can't the trips & reports just be done in the 'main forum'?
Here's the FAQ.
The MarketPlace forums are an open area where registered members may freely post information on a wide range of commercial and private sales with topics ranging from shop specials to trip, group trip and cruise offerings, gear buy/trade/sell forums and much more.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom