Red Sea Liveaboard Sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a country where the GDP is less than $4k/year, I'd be leery of everyone.
I think this is presumptuous at best. You might have say that regulations are looser in poorer country, although it is not always true. But linking GDP to people reliability is a no go for me. Think about all the incident that are reported in higher GDP countries.

I think this is presumptuous at best. You might have say that regulations are looser in poorer country, although it is not always true. But linking GDP to people reliability is a no go for me. Think about all the incident that are reported in higher GDP countries.

Well, do you know how many ships and ferries sank in Egypt? What about train wrecks?

Well, do you know how many ships and ferries sank in Egypt? What about train wrecks?
But I think a $4k per capita GDP includes Indonesia, Philippines, PNG, just misses Fiji, etc. so maybe not an ideal yardstick.

I wonder if the captain was arrested for sailing an unsafe yacht, unsafe sailing, and abandoning the wreck before any passengers, or will be found sailing for another company?

I am still amazed that the passengers boarded a listing yacht. Yeah, they'd already paid for the trip, but still!

I wonder if the captain was arrested for sailing an unsafe yacht, unsafe sailing, and abandoning the wreck before any passengers, or will be found sailing for another company?

I am still amazed that the passengers boarded a listing yacht. Yeah, they'd already paid for the trip, but still!
I'm more amazed that they were standing on the damn thing filming on their phones while it was sinking underneath them!

I'm more amazed that they were standing on the damn thing filming on their phones while it was sinking underneath them!
They didn't seem to have other options at the moment, but life vests would have been a good idea. I still wonder if the yacht had any?

I got onto a boat in Roatan once for a 20 mile crossing to Utila, looked for vests, asked, and was told that they didn't carry any. I retrieved some from my regular boat, but then that trip ran into more problems. I'm sure others snicker at me, but I won't board any dive boat unless I am wearing my snorkel vest.

I guess there’s nothing else you can do in this situation?

They didn't seem to have other options at the moment, but life vests would have been a good idea. I still wonder if the yacht had any?

I got onto a boat in Roatan once for a 20 mile crossing to Utila, looked for vests, asked, and was told that they didn't carry any. I retrieved some from my regular boat, but then that trip ran into more problems. I'm sure others snicker at me, but I won't board any dive boat unless I am wearing my snorkel vest.
The boat had life jackets listed on its website, but they probably were not accessible either in the cabins or on the top deck would be impossible to access when the boat is on its side.

Back
Top Bottom