Red Sea Liveaboard Sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It was listing from the start yet they continued to sail? Is this normal?
I have questions for the passengers, like "How foolish was it to board a listing yacht?"

One undated review of the yacht mentioned "doors which could not be closed as the wood had been widened by water, shower not working, toilets not really working, cockroaches, bulleyes which were not properly sealed so that one mattrass was completely soaked"
Well, at $66 to $72 a day for room, food, diving, and transportation, I guess one shouldn't expect much.
The captain was the first to depart?
Like the Italian skipper who sank a huge boat when he hit rocks while showing off for another captain shore? I forget the name. In a country where the GDP is less than $4k/year, I'd be leery of everyone.

Like the Italian skipper who sank a huge boat when he hit rocks while showing off for another captain shore? I forget the name. In a country where the GDP is less than $4k/year, I'd be leery of everyone.
Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, showing off for a woman who wasn't his wife.

Glad to hear that everybody got safely off the boat. Fortunately it sounds like happened in calm seas, with other boats nearby. It could have been a very different story if this had happened at night, in rough sea and a remote location. Also a good reminder why it is important to keep a dry bag with passports and other essentials close at hand.

There look to be two Carlton Queen boats. One was built about twenty years ago, and this one which was only on its second trip. The boats don’t look to be the same, but not sure if they are both the same hull. The review posted above sounds like it is from the older boat.

There does seem to be a trend towards the Red Sea boats getting bigger and bigger, some of the new ones are very tall, I have seen at least one that had to be modified after launch as the design just wasn’t stable in the sea. Not sure if this was a factor here, although the fact it was listing from the start does suggest a water leak somewhere.

There does seem to be a trend towards the Red Sea boats getting bigger and bigger, some of the new ones are very tall, I have seen at least one that had to be modified after launch as the design just wasn’t stable in the sea.
My first thought was new ship was not balanced properly and filling the oil and water tanks fully might have put it completely off.

Glad to hear that everybody got safely off the boat. Fortunately it sounds like happened in calm seas, with other boats nearby. It could have been a very different story if this had happened at night, in rough sea and a remote location. Also a good reminder why it is important to keep a dry bag with passports and other essentials close at hand.

There look to be two Carlton Queen boats. One was built about twenty years ago, and this one which was only on its second trip. The boats don’t look to be the same, but not sure if they are both the same hull. The review posted above sounds like it is from the older boat.

There does seem to be a trend towards the Red Sea boats getting bigger and bigger, some of the new ones are very tall, I have seen at least one that had to be modified after launch as the design just wasn’t stable in the sea. Not sure if this was a factor here, although the fact it was listing from the start does suggest a water leak somewhere.
That trend towards bigger - and especially taller boats has concerned me for a while - some of them do look very top heavy. If I was designing a liveaboard for the Red Sea it would look very different to the current new boats. One other problem that they are seeing out there is how much wind these new boats catch meaning difficulty holding when at anchor.

I guess the problem is that nobody wants to lose his ticket for a liveaboard?

Once you are there, paid and made so much effort, you are likely to accept things that in retrospect would look unsafe?

Back
Top Bottom