Petrel vs. ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Petrel 2 hardware is 2.4.0 as Ron said above. The new features will be activated by a new version of firmware that will be released as soon as final testing is complete. If all goes well we expect to release the firmware in the next couple of days.

What do you mean?? A Petrel2 IS an upgraded Petrel1. I don't get the problem. The Petrel2 is a Petrel1 with a compass chip added and the Bluetooth updated. If you've got Hardware Rev 2.4.0 or later you've got a Petrel2.

Just got an email from where I purchased it. The P2 doesn't have the compass or the Smart BT - yet.

Apparently, a late model P1 is also capable of being upgraded, so what's being advertised as a P2 is really just a P1 with the latest hardware/firmware. No where on the computer, box, CD, etc. is there anything to indicate it's anything other than a P1. Now, I understand why the P1 and the P2 cost the same - because they are the same.

There's nothing anywhere on the website where I ordered it, or what's supplied by SW to indicate that is doesn't come with a functioning compass. There's also NOTHING to explain what the upgrade is going to cost, maybe it's free. But, so far I'm not impressed with the communication on the issue.

The new Petrel Firmware V21, has a Recreational/Nitrox interface, which is very nice, and the new Petrel 2, has a digital compass, FYI... Also, you could programmed a lot of more gas mixtures (Nitrox/air/trimix) with out going back and forth just incase your mixes are different from a bank 32% or 36%, the dive planning is awesome, and support is 2nd to none.

The Petrel 2 hardware is 2.4.0 as Ron said above. The new features will be activated by a new version of firmware that will be released as soon as final testing is complete. If all goes well we expect to release the firmware in the next couple of days.

Might be nice to put a little note in the box explaining that and the upgrade process/cost.

You guys posted a press release with a video of a computer with a working compass. The website I purchased from lists COMPASS as one of the features. Only now, after pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, do you mention this. Nice...

The upgrade is likely to not cost anything, it will probably be a "Petrel Firmware Update", and all petrels will get it. If it has the compass and advanced bluetooth chip in it, then it will work. If it doesn't, it will be just like it was. So I don't think this is an issue. They made it very clear, if you have hardware version 2.4 then when the firmware comes out, it will upgrade itself to the Petrel 2 and just activate the new module. Not sure what else there is concern about?

All of the shops have the Petrel 2 at the same price as the original Petrel. Mine is only 3 months old, I wish I had waited just to get the next model, but since everything else about it is the same, I'm not worried. I would also probably never use the compass, and since I don't have an IOS device, I'd never use that either.

The upgrade is likely to not cost anything, it will probably be a "Petrel Firmware Update", and all petrels will get it. If it has the compass and advanced bluetooth chip in it, then it will work. If it doesn't, it will be just like it was. So I don't think this is an issue. They made it very clear, if you have hardware version 2.4 then when the firmware comes out, it will upgrade itself to the Petrel 2 and just activate the new module. Not sure what else there is concern about?

All of the shops have the Petrel 2 at the same price as the original Petrel. Mine is only 3 months old, I wish I had waited just to get the next model, but since everything else about it is the same, I'm not worried. I would also probably never use the compass, and since I don't have an IOS device, I'd never use that either.

I suppose, if you're following the company waiting for updates on a product, but I wasn't and didn't know the history. Only this morning, did I see a post that the upgrade is about to be released.

I shouldn't have to rely on Scuba Board and Google to piece it together. I also shouldn't have had to spend a hour last night and again this morning going thru the menu, manual, watching YouTube videos, and even to upgrading the device attempting to get the non-existent compass to work.

I suppose, if you're following the company waiting for updates on a product, but I wasn't and didn't know the history. Only this morning, did I see a post that the upgrade is about to be released.

I shouldn't have to rely on Scuba Board and Google to piece it together. I also shouldn't have had to spend a hour last night and again this morning going thru the menu, manual, watching YouTube videos, and even to upgrading the device attempting to get the non-existent compass to work.

Maybe you should've contacted the place you purchased it from.

it was all over Shearwaters website.... It is also in the FAQ section that the Petrel and Petrel 2 are keeping the same firmware versions. I am also willing to bet that if you had emailed Shearwater last night you likely would have gotten a response before this morning even though they are at DEMA right now.

Seems to me that you are too worked up. You are getting a nice upgrade, for free, and for the same purchase price others paid just a week or two ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom