Petrel vs. ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been advised by our engineering department that we will release V27 of the firmware and the accompanying release notes on Monday. V27 will activate the digital compass and Smart Ready Bluetooth which is available in the 2.4.0 hardware. In an ideal world, the new version of firmware would have been released the same time we made the announcement to avoid confusion, but unfortunately we weren't able to complete our testing in time.

regards
Lynn

I have been advised by our engineering department that we will release V27 of the firmware and the accompanying release notes on Monday. V27 will activate the digital compass and Smart Ready Bluetooth which is available in the 2.4.0 hardware......
Very good!
We will check it out and let you know if the BLE (Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy - aka Smart Ready Bluetooth) feature is working.
If BLE is working we will have an iOS version of the Petrel Log Manager App very very shortly. Finally!

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I just installed the new firmware for the Petrel 2. The compass is outstanding! I expect to use it a fair amount. Now if it just had a way to "set the bezel" so I do not have to remember something underwater....as is it tells me my heading, but no way to set a heading that I can then follow.

(added) There is a way to "mark compass" but I can't figure out how to use it. I'll wait (impatiently!) for the manual...

+1 on the Mark Compass - still can't figure out how to mark the bezel. Looks like the manual still needs an update with the new feature, but otherwise, the update and calibration took about 5 minutes. Very smooth.

Just a question, I'm curious,... I don't use electronic compasses. Does the compass work in either Tech or Rec mode,.... or only in Rec mode, as is shown on the displays I've seen?

My Petrel 2 is set in OC Tec mode, and the compass displays. The screen it is on is the full-display tec screen, except the bottom row is replaced by the compass. If you want to see some of that bottom-row info (mode, deco status, gas info) then you customize the center row.

Page 21 of the compass pages, it says:"Only one heading can be marked at a time, it can however be changed. Once a heading has been marked, there is no way to clear the heading arrows from the display."
However, the heading appears to be erased if the Petrel is turned off. This is both good and bad!

In case there was any doubt .... we can confirm that the Petrel2 (with FW 27) DOES support BLE :D

divenav_divepal_petrel.jpg

Petrel Log Manger for iPhones / iPads ..... here we come!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom