Out of gas - what happens next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There really isn't much of any difference in configuration between the 7 foot hose and the 5 foot hose. The only time I wore a 5 foot hose, I was in a dry suit with heavy undergarments, and it really wasn't long enough for me. If I were instead diving in a thin wet suit, I probably would have liked it. When single tank in good visibility and no canister light, keeping the 7 foot hose tucked in is an issue. I solve it by threading a knife on the right side of the harness and hooking the hose over the knife. If I had a 5 foot hose instead, I wouldn't need that.

I solve it by threading a knife on the right side of the harness and hooking the hose over the knife. If I had a 5 foot hose instead, I wouldn't need that.
Last year, I had to do a recovery dive to find the stuff that got lost when I dekitted before I climbed aboard. I don't like having stuff on the right hand side of my waist strap.

Last year, I had to do a recovery dive to find the stuff that got lost when I dekitted before I climbed aboard. I don't like having stuff on the right hand side of my waist strap.
It depends upon how easily it slides on and off. My knife isn't gong anywhere.

Hi,

In another thread, we were discussing strategies for donating gas, and the question came up of what happens in real out of gas situations. I have frequently heard that an OOG diver will grab another diver's primary reg, but other instructors have said that they have experienced divers more calmly taking an octo (invited or not).

Does anyone have any actual experience with this situation? What do real OOG divers actually do?

I have been the OOG diver....

Short story: I took the primary.

Long story: I was assisting the LDS in the role of "victim" for the rescue course. I had been laying on the bottom face down waiting to be "rescued". The diver finally found me and in the process of "rescuing" me he did two things wrong. First, he rolled me over and in the process of doing so he got his arm in the way of the hose and popped the regulator out of my mouth without noticing. Secondly, entirely contrary to protocol he slung me over his back for the lift in such a way that my arms were over his shoulders.

During the ascent my regulator was out of my mouth. At that time (1985) even if you HAD an octopus it wasn't common to secure it at all, let alone where it was easy to get at it. So BOTH of my regulators were behind my back and BOTH of my arms were being held tight. I tried to get an arm free but the more I struggled the tighter he held on. Apparently he thought that this was part of the exercise....

Now... most rescue divers get to the surface very quickly so I assumed I could just hold on and in 30 seconds it would be over but aside from all the other mistakes this diver made he took his bloody time during the ascent. 1/2 way to the surface I started to realize that I wasn't going to make it! I tried to get an arm free but the more I protested the tighter he held on...

I DESPERATELY needed to have an arm free so I let my entre body go limp. As soon as I felt his grip start to loosen I RIPPED one arm free. He turned around to face me with a "WTF" look in his eyes and before I even signed anything I tore the regulator out of his mouth and put it in mine.

At that time buddy breathing was part of the OW course. My taking the primary lead immediately to buddy breathing and we continued to buddy breathe for the duration of the ascent.

R..

I have been the OOG diver....

Short story: I took the primary.

Long story: I was assisting the LDS in the role of "victim" for the rescue course. I had been laying on the bottom face down waiting to be "rescued". The diver finally found me and in the process of "rescuing" me he did two things wrong. First, he rolled me over and in the process of doing so he got his arm in the way of the hose and popped the regulator out of my mouth without noticing. Secondly, entirely contrary to protocol he slung me over his back for the lift in such a way that my arms were over his shoulders.

During the ascent my regulator was out of my mouth. At that time (1985) even if you HAD an octopus it wasn't common to secure it at all, let alone where it was easy to get at it. So BOTH of my regulators were behind my back and BOTH of my arms were being held tight. I tried to get an arm free but the more I struggled the tighter he held on. Apparently he thought that this was part of the exercise....

Now... most rescue divers get to the surface very quickly so I assumed I could just hold on and in 30 seconds it would be over but aside from all the other mistakes this diver made he took his bloody time during the ascent. 1/2 way to the surface I started to realize that I wasn't going to make it! I tried to get an arm free but the more I protested the tighter he held on...

I DESPERATELY needed to have an arm free so I let my entre body go limp. As soon as I felt his grip start to loosen I RIPPED one arm free. He turned around to face me with a "WTF" look in his eyes and before I even signed anything I tore the regulator out of his mouth and put it in mine.

At that time buddy breathing was part of the OW course. My taking the primary lead immediately to buddy breathing and we continued to buddy breathe for the duration of the ascent.

R..

Thank you for sharing that story! One of the owners at my LDS mentioned to me the other day something about possibly playing victim for a Rescue student he has. I will be sure and share that story, to try and make sure I don't get drowned by a student!

So what constitutes a long hose for your second stage primary? I'm brand newly certified OW, and have an Air2 alternate, with no octo setup. My dad, my dive buddy, has the same setup. When we dive next, we are going to go through what we do with an OOA situation (i.e. ask for or take my primary, I will go to my Air2 alternate, and then we will ascend together). Thinking it might be useful to get a longer hose but not sure what length is a good length.
40 inch yellow hose on primary routed under the right arm with elbow or swivel. And if you can get one a yellow purge cover.

IMG_3525.JPG

In my defense please note that I am not actually touching the lobster. :)

I rarely dive with a buddy. I have an Air 2 and let any buddy know that if there is an OOA emergency that I will be donating my primary and breathing off the Air 2. More than 1300 dives, no need so far.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this was not a typical OOA incident. :wink:

Thank you for sharing that story! One of the owners at my LDS mentioned to me the other day something about possibly playing victim for a Rescue student he has. I will be sure and share that story, to try and make sure I don't get drowned by a student!
Here is a more likely scenario with you as the victim.

I was acting the victim, playing unconscious on the bottom on my stomach. I felt the rescuer get over me and lift my inflator hose. I then heard the whooooosh!!!! as he inserted every molecule of air the wing would hold. I exhaled as fast as I possibly could as we rocketed to the surface.

Hint: make sure the instructor goes over that process and positions himself or herself to prevent it just in case.

Last edited:
I like to believe that I'm not "really short" (I'm 170 cm / 5' 8"), but unless you're diving caves and need to share gas while swimming single file, I see no reason for using a 7'/210cm long hose. A 150cm/5' hose is long enough to wrap properly - at least for me, and you don't need a cannister to route the hose under.
I've been using a seven foot hose for several years for every dive. If you are sharing air you don't need to swim single file. I've only had to share air a couple of times and each time we swam normally side by side.
I route mine under my shears on the right side of my harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom