Out of gas - what happens next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what constitutes a long hose for your second stage primary? I'm brand newly certified OW, and have an Air2 alternate, with no octo setup. My dad, my dive buddy, has the same setup. When we dive next, we are going to go through what we do with an OOA situation (i.e. ask for or take my primary, I will go to my Air2 alternate, and then we will ascend together). Thinking it might be useful to get a longer hose but not sure what length is a good length.

I would have a 40" primary on an 90 elbow routed under my arm. Donate that bad boy and fall over to your Air2.

I would have a 40" primary on an 90 elbow routed under my arm. Donate that bad boy and fall over to your Air2.

I had that setup, except with a 70 (or 110, depending on how you measure it) elbow for a couple of years. I recently got the OmniSwivel clone that Cave Adventurers sells for $25 and replaced the fixed angle elbow with that. I like it a lot better. It doesn't really make any difference when the reg is in my mouth. It's just nicer when the reg is out. E.g. for clipping it off or whatever.

Since I've drank a few, the thought crept into my mind what would an astronaut do if they were ooa (working in their spacesuit whatever). Firstly they probably wouldn't. Likely they had sufficient training (excluding catastrophic failure) to prevent said problem. So bottom line, train yourself to watch your gauges.
One that I watched happen was a diver turned head down to look in a hole and the air stopped flowing. Apparently something in the tank clogged the dip tube or where the dip tube should have been. Instant out of air. It can happen even with the best of care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom