Info Should you look for a Good diver or a Good-Natured diver for your next trip buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucky you. I got stuck on a 14-hour drive (one way, and then 14 hours back) with a carful of divers whose politics and mine Did Not match up, and they jabbered nonstop about nothing but politics.

Noise canceling headphones + flute music. 👀🙉

Requirement #1: doesn’t snore and isn’t completely gross (personal hygiene, body odour, doesn’t unplug P-valve next to my kit etc) :wink:

I think you need both once you start diving more demanding locations, or you will end up diving solo with an impediment aka nice but clueless buddy.

It depends on what type of trip it is. If you are going to be doing challenging dives, you need a good dive buddy. If you are going to be puttering around reefs and sharing a room, a good companion. Easy on the eyes and easy virtue...

Don't let me drown, don't kick me in the face, don't stir up sand everywhere, don't smash the reef, don't piss me off, everything else is a bonus.

Yeah I didn't include in my travel buddy criteria a political alignment (or at the very least, a willingness to set that aside and discuss other stuff). But I guess I should have!
Yeah...if they'd talked about literally anything else, the trip would've been fine.

I’ve done liveaboards and resort trips solo several times always sharing a room or cabin.

Look for someone who doesn’t snore!

On one liveaboard each of my two cabin mates handed me earplugs. Not much sleep that week.

I'd settle for having even one single diving trip buddy. I've had a couple of good random buddies off the internet (and lots of bad ones) but none whose schedules come close to matching mine.

Before we started technical dive training, a group of divers from our shop when on a technical dive certification liveaboard trip with an instructor from a different shop and certification agency.

As they came into the shop one by one after the trip, I asked each how the trip went.

What was funny was that each of the divers declared that they would never dive with so and so or so and so again.

I heard this so many times, that It got to the point where I thought that any one of those divers probably shouldn’t be diving with themselves.

That was in fact, the last time any of them did do a technical dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom