Next Teric or Garmin MK3????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Terics. I have had mine for 4-5 years (since about when it came out). However, my son‘s Teric just spectacularly failed in the middle of the dive. That was a bummer. He is still 14, but handled it nonchalantly. Showed me a crazy computer failure, had a backup my old Aladdin (with black and white display , that make it look like a toy from the 80s :),… but never fails :)) and SPG. He finished a dive as planned. Now his Teric is over 2 years old (only 40-50 dives) and is out of warranty. Has anybody had interactions with Shearwater getting Teric repaired out of warranty?
In my experience, they will fix it unlike some companies that tick off the seconds on the warranty Shearwater has been great.

...However, my son‘s Teric just spectacularly failed in the middle of the dive...
Hi @Ukmc

What was the failure?

I've had several failures, but the only one that resulted in acute loss of the entire computer was a screen failure. It developed a couple of white lines and then went black. I've had 2 antenna failures, loss of AI, but the rest of the computer worked fine.

However, my son‘s Teric just spectacularly failed in the middle of the dive. That was a bummer.
Wow - how?

had a backup my old Aladdin (with black and white display , that make it look like a toy from the 80s :)

I still have my non-working (no batteries available) US Divers M1 - Its almost as big as a laptop LMAO.

Well, it did not blow up or implode or anything like that. However, it behaved rather disconcerting.
At first, it flashed ERR, so my son gave me a sign “something is not right with computer”. It then showed warning MOD is exceeded. Then it showed warning that he went into deco. Then it showed warning low on air. Then a warning that he missed a deco stop. All within 30 seconds. :) At that point I told him to forget about Teric and he finished the dive on an Aladdin and SPG. Even more weirdly, his dive log recorded a dive down to 1000ft… 😂
I was impressed how well my son handled it (And record breaking dive). 😂 Of course , it helped that he was familiar with the backup computer as that was what he was diving prior to Teric over 3 years ago. My shop sent it to shearwater. Will see what they say and if I will be responsible for repairs.

Attachments

• 1D670D07-8F79-4750-AA76-306D6B993A5C.jpeg
    1D670D07-8F79-4750-AA76-306D6B993A5C.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 83
WOW!

Well @ 1000 ft on air and 14, maybe that some sort of scuba record for his age class?

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Call Dive-tronix and talk to them. US warranty repair center. Great service from those folk.

(858) 775-4099

Yes, the unit is on the way to DiveTronix. Will see what they say… At the very least, I know they will be impressed by his dive profile.

Well, it did not blow up or implode or anything like that. However, it behaved rather disconcerting.
At first, it flashed ERR, so my son gave me a sign “something is not right with computer”. It then showed warning MOD is exceeded. Then it showed warning that he went into deco. Then it showed warning low on air. Then a warning that he missed a deco stop. All within 30 seconds. :) At that point I told him to forget about Teric and he finished the dive on an Aladdin and SPG. Even more weirdly, his dive log recorded a dive down to 1000ft… 😂
I was impressed how well my son handled it (And record breaking dive). 😂 Of course , it helped that he was familiar with the backup computer as that was what he was diving prior to Teric over 3 years ago. My shop sent it to shearwater. Will see what they say and if I will be responsible for repairs.

Yup our terics failed in similar fashions.

Everyone vote in the Teric repair/replacement poll?

Call Dive-tronix and talk to them. US warranty repair center. Great service from those folk.

(858) 775-4099
You have to call Shearwater first for an RMA.

Edit - checked DiveTronix site and it does appear you can submit for an RMA directly with them now.

Back
Top Bottom