Teric OR MK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @jodeci888

Both my children were certified to dive at age 12. I've been diving with my son for 26 years now, he's just 10 years younger than you. I have been diving with my daughter for just 22 years.

Both have always been responsible for monitoring their own gas and were very good at it, from the beginning. It became apparent early in our diving together that their gas consumption was as good as mine.

I understand that it might be tempting to take advantage of technology to monitor your daughter's gas. I would suggest resisting that urge and making sure your daughter simply understands her responsibility to dive. I believe that would enhance the diving experience for both of you.

Best of luck, nothing like diving with your family :)
Thank you
I never thought about that until now. What a good point!
I just measured my regular dive watches and they're about 40mm. I don't think I'd want much larger if I were to get the Mk3i as an everyday watch.
51mm for me. I personally don't like small face watches and I have a big wrist and arm.

As a side note, there is a bug on the Garmins where by they over read on the PPo2. It's pretty obvious if you set the Oxygen percentage to 100% and then put the watch in dive mode at sea level, and the PPo2 will read 1.10, which is impossible. This also affects deco time too, so it's not just a display problem. We tested this on two Descent G1s and an MK2i. All had the same problem, all on latest firmware as of 2 months ago. If anyone has an update please let me know (we are in south east asia so aren't always first in line for firmware distributions)

This might only make a small amount of difference on a recreational dive, but on a tech dive it makes a big difference on deco time, means you're getting out of the water earlier than actually planned as the garmin thinks you are off-gassing faster due to the falsely elevated PPo2.

Have a friend who's been through 2 transmitters now, warranty replacements. I'm not bashing Garmin per se, I still use my G1 as a backup computer, but it is just that - a backup so that at least I have something in the event that my Teric failed or was lost on a dive etc. When it comes to diving - Shearwater are spot on, Garmin have some quirks. Just keep in mind.

Thanks for the answers and advice. She's 16, so if you have kids, you know they have the attention span of a goldfish. LOL. I did notice that you can name the transmitters on the Garmin which I like.
You can name the Swifts as well

As a side note, there is a bug on the Garmins where by they over read on the PPo2. It's pretty obvious if you set the Oxygen percentage to 100% and then put the watch in dive mode at sea level, and the PPo2 will read 1.10, which is impossible.
I don't see 1.10 after setting gas to 100% at the surface. Mk2i is showing 1.01. I am not at sea level. The altimeter is showing 936 feet. Actual altitude of 918 feet.

You can name the Swifts as well
I asked Shearwater and they weren't able to give me an answer but do you by any chance know how to delete an old transmitter from the Teric?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom