Teric OR MK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jodeci888

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello. Little confused on what to do, basically I already have a Teric (only used 1x) and my daughter is getting certified in April (16 years old). What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not I should sell my Teric and purchase the new Garmin MK3 because of the distance with the transmitter. I believe the new T2 can go almost 30 feet.

Also, I do not tech dive, sheerly recreational. Happy to soon have a dive buddy, after 32 years. 😂

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

If you want each of you to monitor both of your tank pressures simultaneously while at the 30ft distance, the new MK3i and T2 would allow that (with +/- on the actual effective distance YMMV) ... plus the MK3i /T2 also has some new messaging capabilities between divers. However to get that extra distance you would likely have to change the "power" setting on the T2 to maximum. At the highest setting some people hear a periodic "chirp" sound because the Garmin design uses sound to transmit the data while underwater. To switch both to the Garmin, you would have to sell the Teric/Swift and buy two MK3i (a -51 for you and a -43 for her) plus two T2 transmitters... a sizable investment although a dewdrop in the ocean compared to the cost of raising a daughter.

If you are comfortable with just getting close (with-in 3 to 6 feet) to your daughter to see her tank pressure, then a budget friendly option is just getting her a new Shearwater Tern TX and Swift bundle that would allow you to see her tank pressure without asking her to pull out her SPG and show it to you, or use hand signals.

TBH, you don't need to monitor your daughter's tank pressure. You should trust her to take responsibility for that herself. If you want to know her tank pressure, just ask with hand gestures. Two fingers flat against your palm is the standard sign for "How much air do you have left?"

As a buddy pair you should stay in relative close proximity of one another anyway.

Some people also get confused when they have someone else's tank pressure on their computer.

TBH, you don't need to monitor your daughter's tank pressure. You should trust her to take responsibility for that herself. If you want to know her tank pressure, just ask with hand gestures. Two fingers flat against your palm is the standard sign for "How much air do you have left?"
Exactly. I responded similarly in another thread. Get her in the habit of monitoring her own pressure. If you want to know just ask. This will help to remind her to check regularly.
She's going to be better on air, than you, anyways.
Absolutely. I dive a lot with my daughters. When using equal sized tanks, they almost always have more gas left at the end of the dive. In fact only once have my oldest daughter and I surfaced with the same pressure. It was during an aquarium show where we were using bubble guns. She had a lot of fun with the bubble gun, so "wasted" a bunch of air during that dive. Otherwise, they always have a better SAC rate than me.

If you want each of you to monitor both of your tank pressures simultaneously while at the 30ft distance, the new MK3i and T2 would allow that (with +/- on the actual effective distance YMMV) ... plus the MK3i /T2 also has some new messaging capabilities between divers. However to get that extra distance you would likely have to change the "power" setting on the T2 to maximum. At the highest setting some people hear a periodic "chirp" sound because the Garmin design uses sound to transmit the data while underwater. To switch both to the Garmin, you would have to sell the Teric/Swift and buy two MK3i (a -51 for you and a -43 for her) plus two T2 transmitters... a sizable investment although a dewdrop in the ocean compared to the cost of raising a daughter.

If you are comfortable with just getting close (with-in 3 to 6 feet) to your daughter to see her tank pressure, then a budget friendly option is just getting her a new Shearwater Tern TX and Swift bundle that would allow you to see her tank pressure without asking her to pull out her SPG and show it to you, or use hand signals.
Thanks for the answers and advice. I have to so some more research now.

As a buddy pair you should stay in relative close proximity of one another anyway.

Some people also get confused when they have someone else's tank pressure on their computer.
Thanks for the answers and advice. She's 16, so if you have kids, you know they have the attention span of a goldfish. LOL. I did notice that you can name the transmitters on the Garmin which I like.

Shearwater is still the best dive computers out there, as far as the operation as a dive computer goes. Worth noting this doesn’t mean other dive computers, like the Garmin, are far behind. Also worth noting, the things that make a computer like a Shearwater better, may not mean anything to you, and they’ll just be unimportant features which you’d have paid a premium price for. I for example, rather use a puck computer, all I need is depth, time and NDL for recreational dives, there’s a lot of things that undoubtedly be nice, like a LED screen, say, but they won’t improve my diving, this is an argument based on how much one wants to spend on dive computer.
I said I rather use a puck because I can have it on my forearm rather than my wrist, I can read my computer much easier there than on my wrist, this means of course, I can, and use a Perdix that way on tech dives.

Although the Shearwaters are better dive computers, I think the Garmin is a much better overall product, I have the MK2s and it’s a fenomenal watch that just happens to be one of the best dive computers also. And the new MK3 you’re looking at is even better, at some point I will sell my MK2s and upgrade to the MK3i.

Your daughter is likely gonna be better suited with the smaller size Garmin than the Teric, I even prefer the 43mm version of MK3i myself, I think the 51mm and the Teric are too big, specially as an everyday watch.

And last point, the Garmin has a bungee system with their quick disconnect bands that lets you switch from rubber bands to bungee mount in seconds, super neat, which allows me to mount the computer on my preferred location, forearm, and switch right back to wrist in seconds when I’m done diving.

She's 16, so if you have kids, you know they have the attention span of a goldfish.
I do have kids and both dive. I monitor their air during a dive by asking them to report it to me. Being in contact and supporting them in this activity is one thing. Having to look over their shoulder like this is a non-starter. If they aren't ready to monitor their gas supply during a dive, then they really aren't ready to dive.

Back
Top Bottom