Next Teric or Garmin MK3????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone vote in the Teric repair/replacement poll?
Yup long time ago lol

Seems the two big players in wrist mounted AI are 4 years (teric) and 2 years (mk2i).

Garmin launched the mk1 and two years later the mk2i. Given todays product cycles and innovation, what are your thoughts or the NEXT generation Teric or MK3?

I am a die hard Shearwater fan so much so that I own 6 Shearwater platforms (3ea. hardwired Petrel's, 1ea. 4pin Petrel, and 2ea. Perdix's) and when the Teric first came out years ago I was so excited for it I actually got one of the first batches but I ended up only using it about 20 times over a 1.5 year period and sold it just because I was never using it.

Last year I picked up a Garmin MK2S and found it to be miles better than the Teric so I can only imagine what the MK3 will be like. Personally if I only had the choice between the Teric and Garmin I would pick Garmin all day long (and I am probably one of Shearwaters #1 fans) As far as diving features go its basically the same but the fitness features are amazing. I wear this watch everyday and love it, with the teric I only wore it for diving and that was it.

What I like the most about the Garmin is it really is a true everyday smart watch. It is not just a "diving computer" that looks like a smart watch. You can actually use your $1,000 watch for more than just diving. With the Teric I never wore it with the Garmin I wear it everyday, check my text messages on it, check the weather, use the Spotify app on it (don't need to carry you phone with you, super nice for running/hiking), use the fitness features, the diving app is really nice for logging your dives and showing you on a map where you dove. Really I can not think of any pro's the Teric has over the Garmin other than the Teric takes regular MH8C transmitters where as Garmin has there own proprietary type and the MK2S is not AI compatible. but other that that the MK series is way ahead of the Teric.

However there is always a but...

If I was diving CC or OC technical then hands down Perdix/Petrel platform. All my rebreathers have wired PPo2 Petrels so naturally having a Perdix or Petrel as a backup just makes things a lot simpler. Same goes for OC technical diving running 2 Perdix's is just a nice setup, easy to use, easy to read, easy gas switches, and muscle memory of the buttons from so many years of using Shearwater platforms.

Personally if I only had the choice between the Teric and Garmin I would pick Garmin all day long (and I am probably one of Shearwaters #1 fans) As far as diving features go its basically the same but the fitness features are amazing. I wear this watch everyday and love it, with the teric I only wore it for diving and that was it.

What I like the most about the Garmin is it really is a true everyday smart watch. It is not just a "diving computer" that looks like a smart watch. You can actually use your $1,000 watch for more than just diving.
I mostly wear a Hamilton field watch that I wind up every day when I wake up, or an Omega Seamaster, or a Seiko dive watch.

I look at them and they tell me what time it is. To me, that's all a watch really should do.

Tried the Teric. Too many buttons and too much complexity to figure out where you were in the menu structure. Perdii and Nerd...

What I like the most about the Garmin is it really is a true everyday smart watch. It is not just a "diving computer" that looks like a smart watch. You can actually use your $1,000 watch for more than just diving. With the Teric I never wore it with the Garmin I wear it everyday, check my text messages on it, check the weather, use the Spotify app on it (don't need to carry you phone with you, super nice for running/hiking), use the fitness features, the diving app is really nice for logging your dives and showing you on a map where you dove. Really I can not think of any pro's the Teric has over the Garmin other than the Teric takes regular MH8C transmitters where as Garmin has there own proprietary type and the MK2S is not AI compatible. but other that that the MK series is way ahead of the Teric.
I never got a Teric. I was strongly considering it, but opted instead for the Perdix AI. I also have a Garmin MK2s and agree with your assessment. It is a great everyday watch, great fitness watch, great smart watch, and great dive computer. The Perdix and Garmin match up well. I haven't yet run into a limitation (apart from AI) on the Garmin.

I'm not as much of a fan of the MK2i, though. It's just too large for me to wear regularly, MK2s is perfect. I'm also not a fan of the Garmin transmitter. I don't like that it's proprietary, and I also don't like that it's impossible to verify underwater function above water. But for my use as an everyday watch and backup to my Perdix, the MK2s is pretty much perfect.

Yes, the unit is on the way to DiveTronix. Will see what they say… At the very least, I know they will be impressed by his dive profile.
They were so impressed by his dive profile, they fixed it no charge. Just got Teric back from Divetronix. All fixed up. Got to love Shearwater service!

Attachments

• 0F7953F5-5D57-4148-A73C-4AD9CD5B2AF0.jpeg
    0F7953F5-5D57-4148-A73C-4AD9CD5B2AF0.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 132
.... Given todays product cycles and innovation, what are your thoughts or the NEXT generation Teric or MK3?
Bumping an old post but related.
Garmin just came out with a bunch of $100 & $200 rebates on the dive watches.

{speculation?} Could be to move old stock and make room for a new model? The promotion ends May 31st so we'll see this summer.

Bumping an old post but related.
Garmin just came out with a bunch of $100 & $200 rebates on the dive watches.

{speculation?} Could be to move old stock and make room for a new model? The promotion ends May 31st so we'll see this summer.
Possible. But they also had a similar promotion around this time last year. I picked up an MK2s with a rebate last year. You pay up front, then they send you a prepaid Visa gift card after you fill out the rebate form. It was a pretty quick turnaround. Maybe a week or two at the most.

Back
Top Bottom