Next Teric or Garmin MK3????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am waiting to see a reliable Teric. I know that some people have no problem with theirs, but a remarkable number of people post problems with batteries and antennas. I would kick myself if I traded my ultra reliable Perdix only to be disappointed in the current Teric. I'd like to see a Mk2.

I am waiting to see a reliable Teric. I know that some people have no problem with theirs, but a remarkable number of people post problems with batteries and antennas. I would kick myself if I traded my ultra reliable Perdix only to be disappointed in the current Teric. I'd like to see a Mk2.
It can take a few trips back and forth but they will get it right eventually, my primary one hasn’t been diving for 25 days :( but has held at 26% since the last dive, it’s been several weeks since charging.

The Garmin Descent Mk2 series is based on the Fenix 6 series, same basic hardware and software but with the addition of a more water-resistant case, depth sensor, and dive computer software. Just like the Descent Mk1 was based on the Fenix 5. Garmin recently launched the Fenix 7 series so they will probably have a Descent Mk3 available sometime in 2023. When that Descent Mk3 shows up it will of course include all the new fitness and health metrics from the Fenix 7. Possibly it will also have a brighter, higher-resolution AMOLED display (like the Epix 2) but I wouldn't count on that. I doubt they will make any major changes to the dive software although I guess it's possible they could add a different deco algorithm like VPM-B.
The Garmin Descent Mk2 series is based on the Fenix 6 series, same basic hardware and software but with the addition of a more water-resistant case, depth sensor, and dive computer software. Just like the Descent Mk1 was based on the Fenix 5. Garmin recently launched the Fenix 7 series so they will probably have a Descent Mk3 available sometime in 2023. When that Descent Mk3 shows up it will of course include all the new fitness and health metrics from the Fenix 7. Possibly it will also have a brighter, higher-resolution AMOLED display (like the Epix 2) but I wouldn't count on that. I doubt they will make any major changes to the dive software although I guess it's possible they could add a different deco algorithm like VPM-B.

Hi, does anybody know or foresee if garmin will have an air integration compatible dive watch in the women’s size? I own a fenix 6s (i enjoy running/swimming/biking as a hobby too) and love my garmin and when I realized there’s a watch that can track fitness activities AND diving i was pretty stoked. But, the 43mm mk2 is not air integration compatible. I tried on the 52mm one and it’s too big on my wrist. :/ if I’m going to spend $1000 on the 43mm i rather spend a bit more and get one that will give me a digital read out of my air… frustrated that Garmin hasn’t made one for women’s sizes yet. I know the Apple Watch is an option but I’m so partial to Garmin in regards to all the different fitness tracking options. Are there any other air integration compatible watches out there (women’s size) that will also track other fitness activities? Thanks in advance!

Hi, does anybody know or foresee if garmin will have an air integration compatible dive watch in the women’s size?
Garmin keeps their future product plans secret so no one who knows is going to post here. I expect they'll probably launch a Descent Mk3 series in 2023 and maybe the women's size will be air integration compatible.
I know the Apple Watch is an option but I’m so partial to Garmin in regards to all the different fitness tracking options.
I don't think the Apple Watch Ultra supports air integration either?

In terms of functionality there might not be anything breakthrough to add to Mk2. However a mid-sized version of Mk2 with an AMOLED screen would be nice.
totally agree, an amoled with a reduction in size would be welcome. in my opinion, another thing that is lacking (in comparison with apple), is the distance that the watch need to me to the smartphone, only allows a few meters (next room?), while apple stays connected very far.

Garmin is overdue, I sense we will see something this fall. If it can tie into my boat sonars and trolling motors, that would be a plus

Garmin is overdue, I sense we will see something this fall. If it can tie into my boat sonars and trolling motors, that would be a plus
Based on previous schedules Garmin will probably launch a Descent Mk3 (derived from the Fenix 7 series) around October 2023. As for adding boating features from the Quatix series devices, who knows? It is pretty lame how Garmin segregates some software features on the various Fenix derivatives even though the internal hardware is identical. If they had a little more sense, they would sell those apps to any customer with a compatible device.

Based on previous schedules Garmin will probably launch a Descent Mk3 (derived from the Fenix 7 series) around October 2023. As for adding boating features from the Quatix series devices, who knows? It is pretty lame how Garmin segregates some software features on the various Fenix derivatives even though the internal hardware is identical. If they had a little more sense, they would sell those apps to any customer with a compatible device.
The Garmin ConnectIQ app allows one to download Garmin apps, data fields, screens, etc (and those from third parties) to the watch. Every Garmin app I have seen in ConnectIQ has been free to download, but I have not spent too much time there because I have been happy with the preloaded stuff. In the "Out to Sea" section of the app Garmin offers a variety of apps that appear to be from the Quatix line for free download. I think ConnectIQ offers apps that user's device can handle. I have an MK2i. Anyway among the apps offered from Garmin for free download are Tides, Boat Data, Autopilot, Anchor, Fish, and MFD Remote. Based on the names and descriptions of the apps I suspect they come from the Quatix line, but I have not tried them because I don't own a boat. Anyway this is just something I noticed. Do your own research rather than relying on my musings, particularly if you are making a purchase decision -- Garmins are expensive!

I only have 88 dives on my teric, but it's been 100% so far

I only have 88 dives on my teric, but it's been 100% so far
I love Terics. I have had mine for 4-5 years (since about when it came out). However, my son‘s Teric just spectacularly failed in the middle of the dive. That was a bummer. He is still 14, but handled it nonchalantly. Showed me a crazy computer failure, had a backup my old Aladdin (with black and white display , that make it look like a toy from the 80s :),… but never fails :)) and SPG. He finished a dive as planned. Now his Teric is over 2 years old (only 40-50 dives) and is out of warranty. Has anybody had interactions with Shearwater getting Teric repaired out of warranty?

Back
Top Bottom