Mask Sealing and Mustachios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve tried a number of masks and methods. I end up going Amish and just shave my mustache while keeping the beard. I can always tell I’d it’s been more than a week since diving… I grow a mustache back.

I find their statement questionable, because if silicone could form hydrogen bonds, the 1st thing it will form hydrogen bonds would be water. And this will make it water soluble (which it isn't).

Moreover, as I remember from my liquid chromatography days, silica gel has a dual nature. The Si-OH groups are hydrophillic (i e, capable of forming hydrogen bonds) but Si-O-Si groups, same as in siloxanes, are hydrophobic (i e, not forming hydrogen bonds and repulsing water). And in organic compounds too, the oxygen bridge C-O-C is not great in forming hydrogen bonds; thus, dimethyl ether is poorly soluble in water (unlike acetone which has a C=O double bond, a good acceptor of hydrogen bond, or methyl alcohol, which has an -OH group, acting as both donor and acceptor of hydrogen bonds); both can be mixed with water in any proportions.

If you're going to use a caulking gun, get the dripless kind that doesn't keep oozing on you when you let off the trigger.

I used to have leaky masks around the moustache with rental gear almost always but not ever since I got my own mask (CrystalVU) a decade or so back… it’s the softer double sealed silicone skirts that fixed it for me… ensuring there is a 1mm clean trimmed gap below the nostrils and the moustache also helps …

Perhaps vaseline rotted away ancient mask with rubber or plastic skirts.

Has anybody out there actually EXPERIENCED a problem with vaseline damaging a mask (as opposed to being TOLD that it would be a problem) ????? If so, what type of mask?
The above is a 2004 post in this thread, to which no one responded In the affirmative. I'm curious as to whether there are any responses now? My LDS told me Vaseline would not damage the mask skirt.

Perhaps vaseline rotted away ancient mask with rubber or plastic skirts.

Has anybody out there actually EXPERIENCED a problem with vaseline damaging a mask (as opposed to being TOLD that it would be a problem) ????? If so, what type of mask?
Nope.
I use an atomic frameless since 2009, no problems with vaseline. No moustache trimming. I also use it to ease me into the wetsuit, no issues with the wetsuit either, although I rotate wetsuits every 4-5 years.

I have been conducting tests for years with rubber and silicone
Here is silicone, soaked immeresd in engine oil, and in vaseline

012.JPG

FOR ZERO ILL EFFECT

006.JPG

Do you like my gearbox

I find their statement questionable, because if silicone could form hydrogen bonds, the 1st thing it will form hydrogen bonds would be water. And this will make it water soluble (which it isn't).

Moreover, as I remember from my liquid chromatography days, silica gel has a dual nature. The Si-OH groups are hydrophillic (i e, capable of forming hydrogen bonds) but Si-O-Si groups, same as in siloxanes, are hydrophobic (i e, not forming hydrogen bonds and repulsing water). And in organic compounds too, the oxygen bridge C-O-C is not great in forming hydrogen bonds; thus, dimethyl ether is poorly soluble in water (unlike acetone which has a C=O double bond, a good acceptor of hydrogen bond, or methyl alcohol, which has an -OH group, acting as both donor and acceptor of hydrogen bonds); both can be mixed with water in any proportions.
Fair enough, like I said, definitely not a chemist! At the same time (and I think we're on the same page about this) not something I want the risk of ingesting and very likely these things aren't great for our reef and other aquatic systems!

SnorkelSnot solves the leaking problem with better results than the silicone grease and vaseline (it lasts longer) and no worries about any potential health/ecological problems!

Back
Top Bottom