Mask Sealing and Mustachios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc:
Hola muchachos !!

A question for those mustachioed divers out there:

I've heard that people have used chapstick, mustache wax, vaseline and silicone to seal your mask around the mustache area. Personally, until I found out it was a bad idea because it damages the mask, I used vaseline and it worked okay. I've also been very successful with chapstick-type stuff. But there's not a whole lot in one of those little tubes, and it runs out real quick.

So now I'm chasing the silicone thing, based on some postings I've read on this site. Stopped by my LHS (local hardware store) and got a tube of clear 100% silicone which is advertised for sealing aquariums. But after reading the warnings on the package, I'm thinking twice:

"May cause eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid breathing vapors. Avoid contact with skin...Wear gloves to minimize skin contact. Wear eye protection. Do not take internally"

So for those who use silicone to seal their masks, have you noticed any skin rashes, stuff falling off, petit mal seizures, serious convulsions, or signs of imminent death? Just curious. I'm thinking that maybe I'll stick with the chapstick.........
If it's a long tube that requires a caulking gun, DON'T USE IT, you misunderstood what was meant by silicone. You don't want silicone sealant, you want to get silicone grease.
Although it would be kind of funny to see someone on a dive boat pull out a tube of sealant and use it.

OK maybe not that funny.

I keep hearing about vaseline rotting the skirts, but I've been using it for years without ever screwing up a mask. When I forget, I just clear a lot more often. The practice keeps my skills sharp...lol. However, if you're really worried about it, you can use KY jelly or it's generic equivalent. It's water based, and rinses out easily.

My DH who has a 'stash trims it just under his nose and used some silicone grease to help seal his mask. He used to have a slow leak prior to using the silicone, and now has a nice seal. He is generous with his use of the silicone, and we just use what's left on the mask after the dive to lubricate the rest of the skirt. I bought a little tub of the stuff from my LDS for a couple of bucks and it will last us a long time.

mccabejc:
So now I'm chasing the silicone thing, based on some postings I've read on this site. Stopped by my LHS (local hardware store) and got a tube of clear 100% silicone which is advertised for sealing aquariums. But after reading the warnings on the package, I'm thinking twice:

Yikes! Don't use that stuff - it's an adhesive and sealant!!! Your mask will be stuck on an sealed alright, it just may not come off without taking your mustache and some skin with it! :D

Those posts are talking about silicone grease, something completely different. Even then the grease is just that, and makes a mess that's difficult to clean.

Do a search on mustaches and read the threads. I personally trim a little bit under my nose the mornings that I dive. It's hardly noticable, and grows back quickly. You can see how it looks here.

Marc

It’s funny, or not so funny in cold water my mask is self sealing, my nose (sinuses) runs. In the tropics I tighten my mask a bit and purge it gentle more often, I don’t realize how often as it’s an automatic response. I have had a full beard for my 27 years of diving. The silicone skirts mask was a boon to bearded divers, rubber was way leakier.

Hope you've set aside the glue tube by now, mccabejc.

I used to shave clean just to dive, but my wife loves my beard and she begged and nagged so I grew it back. As long as I keep the hair short I don't have a problem with my mask. The hairs are not so short as to be stubble, which would be a bigger problem.

If you're still researching, you might try Astroglide. It's a "personal lubricant" that's about the consistency of thick saliva. It's completely safe for skin and your gear. I use it to get my hands into my heavy cold water gloves, which are a bit tight at the wrists.

-Bryan

Two words ...

... diver's trim.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay, I get the point. Geesh. And I thought I was doing good trying to find a tube (not a caulking gun thing) that just said clear silicone sealant, not adhesive.

Anyway, I would think that Astroglide and those other personal lubes would, since they are water based, melt away as soon as you hit the water, or got some water underneath the mask.

I had some trouble with leaks around my mustache, so I went to my LDS and tried on a bunch of masks, I found one that I liked that gives me a great seal every time, and I let my mustache grow wild some times. The only thing I do is wiggle the mask in tight between my mustache and my nose. I did try about fifteen masks and only two or three gave me a good seal.

TT :wink:

Firefyter:
I keep hearing about vaseline rotting the skirts, but I've been using it for years without ever screwing up a mask.
Perhaps vaseline rotted away ancient mask with rubber or plastic skirts.

Has anybody out there actually EXPERIENCED a problem with vaseline damaging a mask (as opposed to being TOLD that it would be a problem) ????? If so, what type of mask?

Back
Top Bottom