Mask Sealing and Mustachios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent point, Charlie99. When I was in Hanauma Bay near Oaho, snorkeling capital of Hawaii, the rental guys would hand a jar of vaseline to anyone who had a mustache and needed some sealing. You'd think that rental guys would soon find out if it was damaging their masks and stop doing it.

I also went down to the LDS and tried on masks untill I found one that seal well, then I trim the hairs back down below the nose, to allow for a tight clean fit. I found that using lubes of any type tended to end up on the lens somehow, no matter how careful I was about not spreading it. I think it just got in there with the little bit of water, then the lens was all spotty and fuzzy. Nothing ticks me off more than having a dirty lens you can hardly see out of! so now I just dive it as it comes, works for me.

TwoTanks:
I had some trouble with leaks around my mustache, so I went to my LDS and tried on a bunch of masks, I found one that I liked that gives me a great seal every time, and I let my mustache grow wild some times. The only thing I do is wiggle the mask in tight between my mustache and my nose. I did try about fifteen masks and only two or three gave me a good seal.

TT :wink:

Same here, I've had three masks and only the first one leaked. Just make sure you bring your reg or snorkel with you for the fittings as they will alter the shape of your face.

Good luck,

Jeff

Worse case senerio, go with an AGA or an EXO type mask.

I keep a stick of sunscreen (looks like an oversized chap stick) in my mask case, and rub that all over my stache. (plus it comes in handy to keep the ol' schnozz from getting burnt and peeling)

The brand is Austrailian Gold (sounds like an illegal consumable) SPF 30 Lipbalm sunblock.

It works great!

mccabejc:
Excellent point, Charlie99. When I was in Hanauma Bay near Oaho, snorkeling capital of Hawaii, the rental guys would hand a jar of vaseline to anyone who had a mustache and needed some sealing. You'd think that rental guys would soon find out if it was damaging their masks and stop doing it.

Agreed, I've been to a few places where the rental guys provide vaseline.
I think good quality modern masks resist vaseline quite well.

I normally trim about 1/8" off the top of my moustache, but I have used vaseline on occasions.

eponym:
I used to shave clean just to dive, but my wife loves my beard and she begged and nagged so I grew it back.

I used to think my wife loved my beard, turns out she hated my face :eyebrow:

wedivebc:
I used to think my wife loved my beard, turns out she hated my face :eyebrow:
LOL! Thanks, Dave. I'll have to ask her about that . . .

Trim the womb broom at least 1/4 inch below the nose then try the food grade silicone lube you can get in a resturant supply store. Trust me, it works and I'm so hairy my friends call me unibrow.

I dive a TUSA Platina (not the Platina Hyperdry) and have had no sealing problems with my mustache. I do nothing special to it at all.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom