Diving with contact lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a thought, if you rename this to "Diving with multi-focal contact lenses" someone searching on google can stumble across the thread more easily.

Thanks for sharing as I will probably go through the same in 20 years!

I also dive with daily disposable (single vision) soft lenses. Regarding anti-fog, I haven't had any issues with PSI or Mcnett's (GearAid?) solution with my contacts (or fog).

The first thing that popped into my head while reading your post is Contact Brand and/or fit. Is it possible that the fit might be totally correct on that eye? Changing brand (only for the dailies) might help?

I use Dailies Total 1 Multifocal lenses and have never (at least 60 dives) lost a lens while wearing a mask.

I have lost a couple swimming with no mask.

Back in the day, when I wore contact lenses, I never lost one out of my eye but would think that I had. Somehow the lens would migrate up under the eyelid. Blinking and drops would bring it back into place. I used dailies for the exact reasons previously told.

Just adding my personal experience - I dive with my multi-focal dailies and use NEW Reef-friendly Mask Defog - Stream2Sea.com . Never a problem! :) Tip for topside - our defog also works great if you need to wear a mask and your glasses fog up!

I wear dailies and use baby shampoo for defog. Never lost a contact. As previously suggested, I would look at fit. Once my contacts are in place they don't move unless I physically move them with a finger.

I've tried to dive with contacts, but at least for me, they float off or roll up behind my eyelids if any water gets in (say a mask flood or something). Because of this I dive with correction in the mask lens, not contacts. safer that way.

edit: if you can do a mask flood / remove / replace without issue (and not just once, but repeatably), then contacts are ok, but I don't think contacts and scuba mix (in my, personal, experience).

I've gone diving with hard contacts, soft contacts, and now my favorite of all...intraocular lenses that correct my terrible vision. I had to have two cataract surgeries and pay extra for multi-focal intraocular lenses but the freedom from contacts after 35 years is amazing.

They might not be the best fit, I'm not sure, they are dailies. But it's fairly consistent at least for me. I'd say that anyone considering wearing contacts test them out (various scenarios).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom