Diving with contact lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I searched for threads with discussion of what I'm about to say and couldn't find any. So, here goes. Hopefully, I'm not repeating something obvious that I missed.

Very short version: Multi-focal contacts have solved my underwater vision issues. And, Diluted Baby Shampoo seems to cause me to lose the lenses in the water.

Long version:

Back story: I wore contacts for about 20 years. Then I got Lasik about 20 years ago and had 20/20 vision, near and far, for a long time. In the last 5 years or so, I have started to really need reading glasses for a lot of daily tasks. Recently, I realized that my far vision has really dropped off in one eye, too. So, I finally went to the eye doctor for an exam.

Over the last 5+ years of diving, I have tried Seavision masks with gauge reader lenses, and I have tried normal masks with Hydro-Tac stick-on reader lenses. Those all have worked okay for me. Except that I have not been able to find a mask that reliably did not leak. Thus why I moved on from the Seavision masks and have just dived with no correction for quite a while now. My vision is not terrible and I have been able to read my Teric/Perdix/Predator adequately underwater, without the correction.

At my eye exam 3 weeks ago, the doctor dropped a news bomb on me that I was not aware of. I've been out of the vision correction market for 20 years. What can I say? Anyway, they now have multi-focal contact lenses. In both daily disposable and monthly extended wear varieties. That means each eye has a lens that gives one amount of correction for far vision and a different amount of correction for near vision. It's like having bifocals except that you don't have to tilt your head up or down. It's like magic. My understanding is that the very center of the lens gives one correction and then the outer ring gives a different correction. Somehow your brain just figures out what part to pay attention to.

I got some of each to try. I have to say that the first pair of dailies were almost as life-changing as when I got Lasik 20 years ago. I walked out of the doctor's office that day with lenses in and testing 20/20 for both near and far vision. They are awesome!

I talked to the doc about diving and she strongly recommended dailies for everything because of the risk of eye infections from monthlies. And she especially recommended the dailies for diving, for that reason. Water has nasty stuff in it. If it gets on your contact lens, it is much better to be able to toss the lens after diving than be in a quandary about throwing away a pair of monthly lenses after 1 day.

I got both dailies and monthlies. I take the monthlies out and put them in a storage case the night before a dive day and then put in dailies the morning of a dive day. Throw them away at the end of the day. Repeat.

The next issue was that the first day I dived with them, I don't know when I lost them, but I had lost both dailies by the end of a day of 3 dives. That is with no mask floods or removals. It just felt like my eyes got really dry at times and (probably) the lenses popped out when I blinked. That day, I did not think to check the inside of my mask after each dive to see if they were in there.

The next time I went diving, I paid more attention and after dive 1, I found my left lens stuck to the inside of my mask. Right lens was still in my eye. I put it in some cleaning solution for a bit and then put it back in. After dive 2, same thing. I left it out for dive 3, then put it back in for dive 4. It stayed in during dive 4. My right lens stayed in all day.

I've done 5 more days of diving and I think I have now worked out why I was losing lenses and I have not lost a lens in the last few days of diving.

I believe my diluted baby shampoo that I use for anti-fog is why I was losing lenses.

It has been my practice to keep a squeeze bottle of DBS (diluted baby shampoo) in my dive bag. Roughly 1 part BS to 3 or 4 parts water. I squirt it in my mask while I'm prepping my gear. Before I splash, I rub it around with my finger some to make sure the glass is clean, dump it out, then give my mask a quick dunk in water. This leaves somewhat of a film of DBS on the glass, which I thought was helping to keep it from fogging. I think it was that DBS in there that would eventually creep from my mask skirt to my skin to my eyes that was making my eyes dry and causing me to lose my lenses.

I have changed my process simply to wash my mask much more vigorously, to really kind of try to get the DBS completely out. Usually, I also end up trying to spit in my mask, swirl that around with a finger, and then another quick dunk in the water (but I don't know if that's required or not). Since I've started doing it that way, I have not lost a contact lens and I have also not had any mask fogging.

Hopefully, this will help someone else who thinks, as I did, that the only real option for being to read your computer and camera display and controls, is a mask with corrective lenses. I know contacts will not work for everyone. But, I think they'll work for a lot of people. And if they do work for you, they are awesome!

I use monthly multi focal contacts while diving. When we're on vacation, I put them in the first day and leave them in all week and take them out when we leave for the airport. I have been doing this for about 10 years and have never had any eye infections or any other issues. I use ACUVUE OASYS® for Presbyopia | ACUVUE® Contact Lenses My optometrist had to try a couple of different brands before he found ones that fit my eye properly and wouldn't slide around. I would ask to try a different brand to see if you can find one that fit your eyes better. The monthly's have a lot better breath-ability than the dailies.

I just wanna say I LOVE my multifocal contacts for diving. I have a similar story as yours, had vision correction, got a little worse, multifocals solve the problem perfectly.

Interesting about the Multi Focal contacts. I wore contacts for about 30 years, starting with HARD PLASTIC lenses, then monthlies, finally daily disposable. After I turned 40 my near vision went to hell with the contacts in and starting wearing glasses with transition bifocals. I was only wearing contacts for diving, and eventually got sick of not being able to read after getting out of the water. I got a prescription mask and didn't ever were a contact again.

If I'd had the choice of multi focal lenses I would have tried them for sure. But at this point I just prefer wearing the glasses and prescription mask.

As a long time contact lens user I'll say this - Follow your doctors advice and only use daily disposables. I've seen some horrific infections in people using extended wear lenses. The dailies are more comfortable, cleaner, and you don't need to worry about losing them.

Multi-focal dailies for me.

I use 500PSI anti-fog. It’s a much thicker gel and it coats the mask lens more evenly than baby shampoo and lasts for two dives. No irritiation.

The only time I lose a contact lens is during mask-off drills. Even then, two weeks ago during my Trimix course we did a mask-off ascent drill and I had my mask off a loooong time and still had one lens in when I finished the dive. If I flood my mask intentionally, I simply close my eyes until I clear it.

I think it really helps to be well-hydrated. This ensures good adhesion and flushes away minor irritants such as salt or baby shampoo before tearing the lens away from the eye with blinking.

Also, agree about not leaving contact lenses in for extended periods. I used to do that and suffered some horrible scratching of my eye. Never again....dailies all the way for me now and my eyes are very grateful for the fresh feeling every morning.

I use multi focal (my optometrist calls them uni vision, but is exactly what you described) daily contacts. I have never had an issue, but I use spit for defog. Very interesting, I had never considered the possibility of the BS drying out my eyes.

DW

Prepandemic I dove with contacts with a general +1 farsighted mask. Then I put in readers into a regular mask, still with contacts. I just got prescriptions for bifocal contacts and am excited to try them out for all things. Since I work in a hospital, I’ve been in my glasses since March to give some element of eye protection. I can try regular in one eye and bifocal in the other, since I have a surplus of lenses now (I use dailies).

I dive with contacts and have had some come out but it is generally due to mask leaks or in two cases, forgetting about contacts and taking my mask off and diving with my eyes open to prove a point.

As for defog, I use unicorn spit (my own spit). I find it to be magical and has never failed me and never been the cause of me losing a lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom