Kubi or Rolock dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend the Si-Tech QCS oval ring system with the Rolock 90 dry gloves system. They are made to work together, are virtually bomb proof, and super easy to install/set up...they are also super easy to swap out wrist seals in the event you tear one before or between dives. Gloves mount easily and very securely too.

I think the the Kubi system is nice but it can be a pain to pull them apart after a dive, the same way that it is often a pain to pull apart the Ultima DGS rings. It is also a tad easier to attach/lock the dry gloves in place when dressing out with the Rolock 90 system.

I don't believe in a dry glove application that anyone is getting a more robust system by using metal vs plastic...if you take care of your setup both will last beyond the length of your interest in diving. The metal rings might seem more robust but can be damaged if dropped, stepped on, or gear like a cylinder is set down on them...much the same way plastic rings would be damaged.

All that being said...both the Kubi and Rolock 90 glove ring systems are solid products and I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

-Z
Kubis are only hard to pull apart if you put them on with the oring dry. A tiny bit of silicone grease or even spit prior to donning and they come off very easily (but not unintentionally).

Last element is the O-ring when not used with dry glove (so when used with wetgloves), on the video I’ve seen, the Kubi O-ring is apparent on the wrist part of the dry glove, but I don’t have seen one apparent O-ring on the Rolock. Is it on the dryglove side ?
When the drysuit is used without drygloves, Is there less risk to damage the O-ring and thus waterthigness with the RoLock system instead of the Kubi system?

The sealing o-ring on the Rolock systems is on the face of the cuff side ring. When twisting the glove side ring on, the ramps and lugs of the two halves pull the two rings together compressing the o-ring against the glove side ring.

I don't think either system is any more vulnerable to o-ring damage than the other than the other when diving without the glove rings installed. The added benefit to the Rolock system as @RobPNW pointed out, is you can always just pop the Rolock cuff ring out and remount your wrist seal with the QCS oval ring when not using your drygloves if you are overly concerned with damaging the o-ring....I don't think this is particularly necessary unless you are doing some serious demolition work that could really futz up the rings of any system.

SiTech+Rolock pro:
- Lock by rotation
- Plastic (lighter)
- If Rolock is not working fine, possbility to go to SiTech Antares and Virgo

I would not recommend going to the SiTech Antares system if the Rolock rings don't work out for you...I can't think of a worse system on the market than the Antares. The Virgo is an ok system except that it is bulky. It is designed based on the Si-Tech Glove Lock dryglove system but they put the bulky aspect of it on the cuff ring side instead of the glove ring side which means you have to dive with the bulk whether you are using drygloves or not. We swapped the Virgo system of my wife's drysuit out for a set of Ultima DGS, and she will get a set of Rolock 90 if I can find a set inexpensive enough or she increases the amount of diving she does.

-Z

Kubis are only hard to pull apart if you put them on with the oring dry. A tiny bit of silicone grease or even spit prior to donning and they come off very easily (but not unintentionally).

Prying apart Kubi rings or Ultima DGS rings after a dive with cold fingers when you have to have the urge to pee is a pain in the arse whether or not the o-rings are lubed.

Just sayin.

-Z

Pee valve takes care of that.

Question on the rolock. If you do a glove change (say between dives on the boat) how is the glove alignment done with the twist lock?

With the Kubi you just put the glove on your hand, if it feels clocked right you press the O-ring into place. The alignment is correct.

Never seen s stuck Kubi that wasn't user error. Think of a piston going into a bore. It goes straight in or maybe a little rocking. When someone tries to pry one side out and not work it straight out or a little walking it out, that is when they stick.

Prying apart Kubi rings or Ultima DGS rings after a dive with cold fingers when you have to have the urge to pee is a pain in the arse whether or not the o-rings are lubed.

Just sayin.

-Z

Question on the rolock. If you do a glove change (say between dives on the boat) how is the glove alignment done with the twist lock?

With the Kubi you just put the glove on your hand, if it feels clocked right you press the O-ring into place. The alignment is correct.

Never seen s stuck Kubi that wasn't user error. Think of a piston going into a bore. It goes straight in or maybe a little rocking. When someone tries to pry one side out and not work it straight out or a little walking it out, that is when they stick.
Yup, if you have difficulty taking a lubed Kubi glove off you’re doing something wrong. And count my vote as one more for Antares being the worst glove system ever conceived.

i have both and would only buy the kubis again

The Rolock 90 instructions for mounting gloves on the glove ring are that you align an imaginary line that extends through the middle finger of the glove with an alignment dot on the glove ring. I found that aligning the dot with an imaginary line that extends through the space between my thumb and index finger works better for me. Either way, it is fairly simple and easy....once the glove and wrist rings are setup, the fit will be the same each and every time one twists the glove rings on.

-Z

i have both and would only buy the kubis again

I have experience with almost every system on the market and I would go with Rolock 90 without question or doubt.

-Z

More silicone grease. It went from being almost impossible to disassemble to super easy once I learned that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom