Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be placing an order for a Seaskin Nova, and I think I'll go with the SiTech oval cuff ring system, then with Rolock 90's and some Kubi latex gloves for dexterity.

My current suit utilizes the SiTech round quick cuff system, which I do not care for due to it's bulk.

Before pulling the trigger, I was just trying to confirm that the SiTech oval rings + Rolock 90's will be less bulky around the wrist than my current round SiTech cuff system.

It’s a great combo, the ovals work with several different dry glove systems, the RoLock being my go to. KUBI may be the least bulky but we would need someone to measure them to be sure, I can say that 90 is much less bulky than the waterproof ultima. The Antaries is very low bulk but take a lot of tweaking to make them reliable.

Reactions: Zef
It’s a great combo, the ovals work with several different dry glove systems, the RoLock being my go to. KUBI may be the least bulky but we would need someone to measure them to be sure, I can say that 90 is much less bulky than the waterproof ultima. The Antaries is very low bulk but take a lot of tweaking to make them reliable.
I always feel like a parrot when @lexvil gets here 1st:)

Same comments all around

Go with kubi and enjoy a bulletproof system... cheap AF from Seaskin compared to purchasing in the states after the fact.

AJ:
Kubi was'nt bullet proof when I had them. Rolock 90 is.
How did the kubi not hold up? I've only heard of 2 problems with them. 1 is the red sealing o-ring cracking. The other is someone managed to pop them apart once while diving. Separation under water isn't an issue with the "covers" installed by Seaskin. O-rings cracking, I've heard of a few but no reason for it. Mine have held up with no issues and I don't do anything to them post dive.

If there is a difference, Kubi would be marginally lower profile compared to the Si-Tech QCS oval rings, but the Si-Tech system gives much greater versatility as there are more options for ring systems should you decide you want to experiment or just straight out change to a different dryglove ring system.

The Kubi system is good and it has its following, but the options available to use with the Si-Tech oval system pushes Si-Tech ahead in my opinion. The Rolock 90 integrate perfectly with the Si-Tech oval rings (note that they do render them round when installed).

I am a fan of the fit, dexterity, and durability of the SHOWA 720 gloves. SHOWA has expanded the 7xx series of their gloves in the past few years offering more options (though I have not drilled down into the differences between the models). If you contact SHOWA they will send you free sample pairs of whichever model and sized of their gloves you are interested in. There is nothing wrong with Kubi's gloves, they are just a latex glove/texturized latex glove depending on which glove you purchase...you can probably find similar gloves for less than the Kubi branded ones.

-Z

How did the kubi not hold up? I've only heard of 2 problems with them. 1 is the red sealing o-ring cracking. The other is someone managed to pop them apart once while diving. Separation under water isn't an issue with the "covers" installed by Seaskin. O-rings cracking, I've heard of a few but no reason for it. Mine have held up with no issues and I don't do anything to them post dive.
Since we're being "nit picky" my tech instructor had his one Kubi pop off when we were diving at about 80' or so. I think that's his only time ever. I have read a few reports of the same, but rare. I would think user error, but I'm not sure. Both Rolock and Waterproof have an undeniable click or turn, so you really can't mess it up unless you get something trapped in there.

My Waterproof never popped off, and I can't see how the Rolock 90 could with them locking.

I always say you can't go wrong with any of the 3 systems, they're all pretty bullet proof, all have a good following / track record. Little subtle things make them different, but not enough to pick one over the other (at least not in my opinion). Maybe Rolock / Kubi just because they're easier to load, but even with the Waterproof you can install @Zef o ring that he linked somewhere that fixes the loading process (and the cursing!:))

TL;DR, I would dive a suit with any of the 3 and expect a little bit of a learning curve but also expect to stay dry.

I always say you can't go wrong with any of the 3 systems, they're all pretty bullet proof, all have a good following / track record. Little subtle things make them different, but not enough to pick one over the other (at least not in my opinion). Maybe Rolock / Kubi just because they're easier to load, but even with the Waterproof you can install @Zef o ring that he linked somewhere that fixes the loading process (and the cursing!:))

O-ring size: 341 x 70 durometer (BUNA) used as a replacement for the o-rings that come with the Waterproof Ultima DGS to retain gloves on their rings.

-Z

I am a fan of the fit, dexterity, and durability of the SHOWA 720 gloves. SHOWA has expanded the 7xx series of their gloves in the past few years offering more options (though I have not drilled down into the differences between the models). If you contact SHOWA they will send you free sample pairs of whichever model and sized of their gloves you are interested in. There is nothing wrong with Kubi's gloves, they are just a latex glove/texturized latex glove depending on which glove you purchase...you can probably find similar gloves for less than the Kubi branded ones.

-Z

I have not been able to find a better all around glove then the 720. I've turned 4 pretty die hard divers in my area onto them and they all think they're better than anything else they've tried. And they're cheap. My last pack worked out to $5 or $6 a pair I think from ebay.

I oyster dive with mine, and they'll hold up for most of a season. And if / when I do get a pin hole I use a mattress patch as per @Tracy recommendation during the SI. The patches are pretty amazing. I tend to get pinholes in between my thumb and index finger the most.

O-ring size: 341 x 70 durometer used as a replacement for the o-rings that come with the Waterproof Ultima DGS to retain gloves on their rings.

-Z

I know it's probably a pain when I call you out.. just want to give credit where credit is due!

Back
Top Bottom