Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope this adds some value to this thread and does not de-rail: Can you give me some idea on Showa 720 sizing? A size L is about right, but can be a bit big depending on the glove. Do I go to XL to accommodate the liners?

You need whatever size will accommodate you hand and the insulation you use.

Figured I would add to this thread as it just popped up. Had to swap gloves yesterday on the boat due to some hard to find pinhole. Normally I look underwater, if I find the pin hole I can add a patch topside and be good in about a minute. Yesterday I couldn't find it so I swapped gloves. 1st time on a boat, didn't have my phone for instruction (it's been a while since I changed a set), suit still wet. Popped it out and added an new one in under 3 minutes. No fuss. Easy peasy, dry as can be next dive.

I'm sure @Boarderwill say Kubi can be done in less than 2min 50sec🙄.. but thats still pretty good for 1/2 price compare to Kubi :poke: 🤣

Hope this adds some value to this thread and does not de-rail: Can you give me some idea on Showa 720 sizing? A size L is about right, but can be a bit big depending on the glove. Do I go to XL to accommodate the liners?

Without the context of what gloves you have used in the past it is hard to know what to say that will be relevant and helpful, so I will try to be as comprehensive as possible regarding how the 720 gloves fit:

The 720 gloves tend to fit a little snugger, size for size, compared to other gloves typically used for drygloves. It is like they are cut "slimmer", if you can imagine that. So it's important to give them a little time to "break in" as they will feel snug at first.

The 720s have a little bit of stretch and the material seems to relax a bit with use to give a comfortable fit without being sloppy.

I find latex gloves, while they have decent dexterity from the ability to feel through the material, tend to be a sloppy baggy fit. And PVC gloves like the SHOWA 495 and 660 tend to be oversized in the fingers and the gloves stiffen up when cold in a way the nitrile of the 720 does not.

My recommendation is to call SHOWA and ask them to send you a pair of 720 gloves in large, XL, and XXL....then fit the pair that feels the best on your ring system. They had no problem sending me 3 pair to experiment with when I made the switch to the 720, especially when I discussed that I was working to get the right size for both me and my wife.

I am 5ft 10inch tall/average build and have what I would consider normal/average size hands (I just measured them to be @ 9.25 inches around @ 8 inches from base of hand/wrist to end of middle finger)....I use the XL and typically dive with a thin underglove for insulation....if I use the thicker yellow acrylic insulating underglove that came with another set of SHOWAs (495?) I would swap to the XXL pair of 720s they sent for the little bit of extra room they provide.

I hate gloves that impede my ability to move my fingers and hand, whether I am diving, skiing or whatever. I always found it frustrating to pull thick wetgloves, especially the second one. The SHOWA 720 work perfectly for me with regards to keeping me dry, providing enough dexterity, and overall good fit.

-Z

I've had my kubis pop off underwater before. I probably had them a bit overly lubricated, and the glove was a bit too short.

The kubis don't seal on the loose cotton flocking like found on Ansel 23-200s, but you can make them work if you change how the glove is installed so you treat the o-ring like the plastic ring used by sitech and rocklock.

Without the context of what gloves you have used in the past it is hard to know what to say that will be relevant and helpful, but....

....The 720 gloves tend to fit a little snugger, size for size, compared to other gloves typically used for drygloves. It is like they are cut "slimmer", if you can imagine that. So it's important to give them a little time to "break in" as they will feel snug at first.

The 720s have a little bit of stretch and the material seems to relax a bit with use to give a comfortable fit without being sloppy.

I find latex gloves, while they have decent dexterity from the ability to feel through the material, tend to be a sloppy baggy fit. And PVC gloves like the SHOWA 495 and 660 tend to be oversized in the fingers and the gloves stiffen up when cold in a way the nitrile of the 720 does not.

My recommendation is to call SHOWA and ask them to send you a pair of 720 gloves in large, XL, and XXL....then fit the pair that feels the best on your ring system. They had no problem sending me 3 pair to experiment with when I made the switch to the 720, especially when I discussed that I was working to get the right size for both me and my wife.

I am 5ft 10inch tall/average build and have what I would consider normal/average size hands (I just measured them to be @ 9.25 inches around @ 8 inches from base of hand/wrist to end of middle finger)....I use the XL and typically dive with a thin underglove for insulation....if I use the thicker yellow acrylic insulating underglove that came with another set of SHOWAs (495?) I would swap to the XXL pair of 720s they sent for the little bit of extra room they provide.

I hate gloves that impede my ability to move my fingers and hand, whether I am diving, skiing or whatever. I always found it frustrating to pull thick wetgloves, especially the second one. The SHOWA 720 work perfectly for me with regards to keeping me dry, providing enough dexterity, and overall good fit.

-Z
Thank you @Zef for the excellent feedback. I should have requested samples from Showa, but I found this company that allowed me to buy single pairs instead of a box of gloves. Ordered a couple of L and XL to try.

For someone as fastidious as myself, seeing people who swear by both the Rolock 90 and the Kubi system is almost paralyzing. I'll probably just flip a coin, ultimately sounds like they're both good systems so I'm guessing I'll be fine either way.

Both are great systems but for me Rolock 90 eeks by the others at the finish line by being easier to get everything set up especially mounting gloves to the rings, and being slightly more secure and easier to don/doff.

YMMV.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom