Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not been able to find a better all around glove then the 720. I've turned 4 pretty die hard divers in my area onto them and they all think they're better than anything else they've tried. And they're cheap. My last pack worked out to $5 or $6 a pair I think from ebay.

I oyster dive with mine, and they'll hold up for most of a season. And if / when I do get a pin hole I use a mattress patch as per @Tracy recommendation during the SI. The patches are pretty amazing. I tend to get pinholes in between my thumb and index finger the most.

I know it's probably a pain when I call you out.. just want to give credit where credit is due!
While I would imagine a mattress patch is the same and those certainly would work on a mattress. The ones I love are the skab brand bicycle tire patches. They are instant and stick to everything.

While I would imagine a mattress patch is the same and those certainly would work on a mattress. The ones I love are the skab brand bicycle tire patches. They are instant and stick to everything.
You know what, I never read the box. I got them, tried it out and never gave it a second thought. They do say for bike tires, ha!

I've seen the same thing, or something similar come with mattresses, has the little metal sander and all.

Agreed about them sticking fast. It takes longer for me to dig them out then to actually stick one and have it set.

I get my Showa 720s from Amazon for $4.69 per pair.
Link? I think we did this before... but the price was higher now?

Edit; nvrmnd.. found it. Yeah, killer deal. My XXL are $4.89/pair or $5.18 after taxes

How is dexterity with them?
It's actually really good. I do think they take a little break in period, but some of it might also be because I have stupid big gorilla hands and I could really use 3XL. I can wear a pair of thick wool liners and they do feel tight, but again could be me. With normal thinner liners they feel like 2 or 3mm wet gloves.

You can always reach out to Showa and get at least 2 free pairs to try out. They'll send them out for free.

How did the kubi not hold up? I've only heard of 2 problems with them. 1 is the red sealing o-ring cracking. The other is someone managed to pop them apart once while diving. Separation under water isn't an issue with the "covers" installed by Seaskin. O-rings cracking, I've heard of a few but no reason for it. Mine have held up with no issues and I don't do anything to them post dive.
They started leaking. Replacing O-rings did'nt help, they kept on leaking. Besides that, removing them after the dive was a pain in the a$$ after a while. Almost needed a crowbar to get them off.

The Rolocks do a better job for me.

AJ:
They started leaking. Replacing O-rings did'nt help, they kept on leaking. Besides that, removing them after the dive was a pain in the a$$ after a while. Almost needed a crowbar to get them off.

sounds like use error imo. The only time mine haven't wanted to come apart is when I first put them together without any silicone on the red o-ring. Now I lightly lube it every 10+ dives or after a month+ sitting in my garage. I break the suit seal with my kubi rings using my finger tips and no real effort. Stuck kubis have only ever been from dry o-ring and are fixed with a quick swipe of lube. My 2psi and experience with buddies that also dive them.

AJ:

How many dives?

If I'm being honest, both the Waterproof Ultimas and Rolock 90's had a learning curve. I mean, it was me, I just needed practice taking on / off and making sure that I didn't have anything in the seal. Now that I have a bit of a "system" of how I do it I don't fault either set. It was me.

When I would have a little issue and come on here and read everyone else just loved them I knew it was me... so I just kept at it until I figured it out. Anyone having a few dives on any system can't really fault that system. It probably took me close to 20 dives to break in the Rolocks and get used to them. Did I break them in? Was it just experience? No idea, but I love them now just as much maybe even a little more than the Ultimas.

P.S - I don't mind people ragging on the Kubi... I know it gets under @Boarderguy skin a little and I like to watch the show!:)

Since all 3 in question are good solid systems and keep your hands dry when properly maintained and used the one big difference for me is I can keep the RoLock on the suit between dives, about 1/4 turn, which keeps sand etc out of the system as I gear up. I am normally in a sandy environment when gearing up and I don’t remove the gloves until I’m ready to put my arms in, very easy with RoLock and by storing it with the gloves on you won’t forget them :wink: (for those who like integrated boots because they can’t risk forgetting their chucks or rock boots) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom