KISS rebreather advert: your views

Which answer most strongly describes your views?

• I think the advert is good, and introduced/reinforced the KISS brand to me

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I think the advert is good, and made me think about my views on technical diving

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is objectifying women as sex objects

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is portraying an attractive lady as stupid

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have no strong opinions on the advert

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Yeah, Blue Planet, Planet Earth, were total trash. Discovery Channel, the History Channel, the Food Network, DIY, and PBS all just show Trash. I mean, who wants to watch some of the worlds best chefs teach cooking, or the the worlds best videographers and zoologists document animal behavior. And all those boring facts about science, space, marine biology, technology, and just about any other subject.

I guess I don't know about "blue planet" or "planet earth" but the Discovery Channel and the History channel have certainly gone pretty trashy from what I've seen. the food netwerk, I don't have much interest in watching a someone cook but to each their own.

Those points aside and assuming my local cable provider even made those programs availavble, what percentage of the total programming and the total bill is represented by them. I didn't drop the service because there was NEVER enything I wanted to watch. I dropped it because the total package wasn't worth the cost to me.
Of course another annoying thing is the advancement of technology. Don't you hate it when they come up with a way so that one can just skip through the commercials?

Actually, if you have been paying attention, the industry recognizes those technologies as a problem and they are working pretty hard on finding a way to stop you from skipping past the commercials.
Whatever filters you have in place are working well as you have rationalized behavior with supporting facts that do not exist? Sure there is a lot of trash on TV, and there is a lot of advertising. But there is a lot of solid content, and ways to avoid the adds. It's just a question of how one wants to gain information. You think the net is any different?

I beg to differ. Give me a call at 2 AM and let me know what your programming choices are and what it's costing you.

No, the net is no different except in regards to the number of choices vs the cost. This isn't just about gaining information. It's about entertainment and when the cost vs content interferes with the intertainment/informative value, I know where the off button is.

The net is actually a great example. I've stopped using my email because the spam has become unmanageable. Goofy sales stuff is screwing so much of it up from the results of search engines to the trouble and costs to keep spyware in check.

For the cost, I still find the internet to be orders of magnitude more useful than television (a broken toe is more useful than TV) but if current trends continue, I can definately see the day coming when I will no longer be willing to pay for it.
NewsFlash. If you pay for a subscription on SB, the adds can be turned off.

To be honest, I think I have to give the approach some thought and maybe ask some questions before I comment much on it. I do, of course, understand that providing this site involves work and cost that needs to be offset somehow.

RonFrank:
KISS Is using a REAL customer.

This was not a model. The other man and woman were models (whom everyone is ignoring). In this case KISS decided to use a customer who was training with the product in the tropics.

The irony is that because she is attractive, and busty everyone thinks she is a model, and not a diver. The reality is that folks, there is your rebreather customer as she appeared in her training class.

The true Sexist part is the assumption on the part of most that this woman IS a model for hire based on her looks when the truth is she is a Tech diver, Instructor, and DM! :blinking:

I assume she is a model because she is modeling. Doesn't that make her a model?

Showing an attractive diver in a swimsuit seems reasonably appropriate to me for selling dive gear. After all the dive gear is meant to be used in the water.

However, the Kiss smooch-mark over her rear end seems highly inappropriate to me.

RonFrank:
KISS Is using a REAL customer.

This was not a model. The other man and woman were models (whom everyone is ignoring). In this case KISS decided to use a customer who was training with the product in the tropics.

The irony is that because she is attractive, and busty everyone thinks she is a model, and not a diver. The reality is that folks, there is your rebreather customer as she appeared in her training class.

The true Sexist part is the assumption on the part of most that this woman IS a model for hire based on her looks when the truth is she is a Tech diver, Instructor, and DM! :blinking:

But Tracy, do you HONESTLY think that Sexy people don't sell product!

I bet half the folks here are ready to go out and buy a KISS rebreather, and they may not even know why! :rofl3:

Woah. I did not say sex didn't sell. It does. Hence why any Joe can create an ad. I've been in advertising most of my life - trust me I know what sells. Fact is she is modeling in that ad. Fact is you barely notice she is wearing a re-breather. Nothing in that ad tells us she is intelligent. The only thing you know about her is she has some nice *&@* - which I might add are placed right in your face. Just like at the grocery store - the prime spot to place a product is at eye level - and people pay extra to have that spot on the shelf.

Now I did say that ad could have been done much better even with her in the same outfit.

Notice with the girl her boobs are "framed" by the gear and she has big red lips smacked across her bum. The gear on the front side is mostly out of the picture - its all one blue bathing suit top :wink:. With the man you see more of the gear and his body is not in your face. His backside shot does not belittle men as there is no set of big red lips on him.

It made me think about rebreathers and women which I don't see as a bad thing. I love women. I enjoy looking at them and make no apologies for that. I wish some of the women I look at would look at me with the same interest. My fiance does not share that view but hey I never said I was perfect. I'm human, hetero, and am not now, never have been, and never will be politically correct. Don't like that? Too Bad! Don't want me to look? Don't try to look so good.

The fact that this ad is getting so much attention proves how good it is without anyone needing to say anything more.
If you can discuss the ad, you noticed it for whatever reason and the brand name came into your vocabulary. Mission accomplished!

The fact that this ad is getting so much attention proves how good it is without anyone needing to say anything more.
If you can discuss the ad, you noticed it for whatever reason and the brand name came into your vocabulary. Mission accomplished!

i would say alot of people know about Dr. Kevorkian's death machine but very few of us will want to buy one :wink:

Tigerman:

No, the mission is to sell rebreathers isn't it? I'm not reaching for my credit card yet. LOL

The brand name was in my vocabulary long before I ever saw the ad. Now, since having the ad floating around my computer screen, I just think a little less of the company.

almitywife:
i would say alot of people know about Dr. Kevorkian's death machine but very few of us will want to buy one :wink:

I would buy them as Christmas gifts for the advertisers who load my email up with spam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom