KISS rebreather advert: your views

Which answer most strongly describes your views?

• I think the advert is good, and introduced/reinforced the KISS brand to me

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I think the advert is good, and made me think about my views on technical diving

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is objectifying women as sex objects

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is portraying an attractive lady as stupid

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have no strong opinions on the advert

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen:
If you sign up and promise you will continue paying, I myself will pay for 3 years, up front and give the Scuba Board a $1000.00 ad per issue in Advanced Diver Magazine a $500 ad per issue in ADM E-Zine and a $100 ADM On-Line web banner link. A total advertisement package value of $6242.20 per year.

Hi Curt Dahling:

How've ya been? Maybe we need to talk. :winky:

RonFrank:
Yeah, the irony is that the folks most offended are the ones making huge assumptions about who she is based on looks. HowardE posted a mini bio long ago in a thread far far away which they either never read, or ignored.

Apparently some feel an attractive woman in a rebreather add wearing a bikini = woman are stupid. Others feel woman wearing bikini's in a rebreather add is inappropriate. I'm not sure what these folks think when they get on a DiveBoat with attractive woman in Bikini's, because that is exactly what I find frequently, and most are GOING to put on SB gear at some point in time! :blinking:

I haven't noticed that there has been much said at all said about the people pictured in the ad...except for those trying to defend them for no reason by posting bios and stuff.

Most of the discussion has been centered around the message intended by the designer of the ad and ads in general.

I don't know if the women pictured is stupid or not...and the bio doesn't help either. The most stupid things I've ever seen done in my life were done by people who ran multi million or even multi billion dollar corporations and all had plenty of sheep skin.

Now, the person or persons who designed the ad...well it's just another stupid ad and most of us see hundreds or even thousands of them every single day. It's like road construction or traffic jams, you just have to work around them somehow...just part of the worlds clutter and garbage that takes up lots of space but has no value in it's content.

If we are going to talk about smarts, lets talk about the punch line of the ad...It puts excitement back in diving (or something to that effect) as the two are pictured kissing. So, how does a KISS rebreather put excitement back in diving and since when is any other rebreather or open circuit "un-exciting"? Could they haver gotten any more cliche like? As I said...no value at all in the content.

See, LOL, it's just another stupid ad. Maybe the people pictured in the ad and those who designed it are very intelligent but I don't see any evidence of that in this ad.

Originally Posted by Curt Bowen

If you sign up and promise you will continue paying, I myself will pay for 3 years, up front and give the Scuba Board a $1000.00 ad per issue in Advanced Diver Magazine a $500 ad per issue in ADM E-Zine and a $100 ADM On-Line web banner link. A total advertisement package value of $6242.20 per year.

Natasha:
Hi Curt Dahling:

How've ya been? Maybe we need to talk. :winky:

You may have missed the fact that Curt made that offer contingent on an action by me. He offered scubaboard $6242.2 worth of advertising space if I gave scubaboard $3.95/month.

I have a deal for you. If scubaboard pays me $4000, I will post a check to scubaboard for the 47 bucks as required and scubaboard gets a heck gets $6242 woth of ad space for $4000.00 and saves about 36%. An immediate 36% is a pretty fantastic return on your inventment.

I would only be too happy to do this in order to help out my favorite diving board.

MikeFerrara:
You may have missed the fact that Curt made that offer contingent on an action by me. He offered scubaboard $6242.2 worth of advertising space if I gave scubaboard $3.95/month.

I have a deal for you. If scubaboard pays me $4000, I will post a check to scubaboard for the 47 bucks as required and scubaboard gets a heck gets $6242 woth of ad space for $4000.00 and saves about 36%. An immediate 36% is a pretty fantastic return on your inventment.

I would only be too happy to do this in order to help out my favorite diving board.

Nope I didn't miss the fact that Curt gave the offer to you. That's why I said I would like to talk to him.

I think SB has already given you more then 4000.00 worth of info and entertainment.
And you might have even got a student or two back when you were teaching or running your own shop. :)

I know you well enough Mike, through all these years together, to know you're just playing, and you really could care less one way or the other over the ads.

You have been behind the curtain long enough to know we were putting out our own money to keep the board running, and had to offer something to the big guns, to help both them, and us. The ads along with the member support help support the board. That's the goal, isn't it?

As for the Kiss ad, you also know I am one of the most conservative people behind the curtain. I have no probelm with the ad, although I did not sell it.

It will not be the norm for sb ads, but it's not over the line IMHO.

Hope that helped.

Natasha:
Nope I didn't miss the fact that Curt gave the offer to you. That's why I said I would like to talk to him.

I guess all is fair in love an war, and who is it that said, buisiness is war? Darn, lost anothewr 4K:D
I think SB has already given you more then 4000.00 worth of info and entertainment.
And you might have even got a student or two back when you were teaching or running your own shop. :)

Lots of entertainment. I like scubaboard. I have dived with lots of people as a result of my participation on scubaboard. A couple people did take classes or buy something when I had a shop but I've done a lot more diving with folks for free. The point is, that I am not now, nor have I ever been, here to make money.

There are two reasons that I'm here. The first is my interest in dive training and the second is that I just like talking to quite a few of the people who are here.
I know you well enough Mike, through all these years together, to know you're just playing, and you really could care less one way or the other over the ads.

You have been behind the curtain long enough to know we were putting out our own money to keep the board running, and had to offer something to the big guns, to help both them, and us. The ads along with the member support help support the board. That's the goal, isn't it?

I remember. I didn't have a better solution then and I don't really have one now.
The clutter of advertising does bother me some...email, snail mail, TV and all the rest. It's a pain. And yes, scubaboard needs to make ends meet so you do what you have to do. While I don't know details I know there have been lots of challenges, including financial.

If I intended any of this as a complaint about scubaboard, I would voice it to scubaboard and not in general conversation with other scubaboard members.
As for the Kiss ad, you also know I am one of the most conservative people behind the curtain. I have no probelm with the ad, although I did not sell it.

It will not be the norm for sb ads, but it's not over the line IMHO.

Hope that helped.

I don't think it's particularly obscene or degrading to women. It's just stupid and degrading to consumers as so much advertising is.

Pete and the staff have worked hard to keep scubaboard suitable for all audiences and nothing I've posted was meant to suggest otherwise. I can't see Pete or the rest of you intentionally putting anything on scubaboard that was obviously offensive to any group or inappropriate for the youngins.

Cool Mike!

I know you love SB as much as I do. We've all put in a lot of time and energy..and have met life long friends because of the board.

No one can put a price on that!

I hope to meet you and your wife and dive with you both sometime in the future, since we all plan on doing this for the rest of our lives!

Back
Top Bottom