KISS rebreather advert: your views

Which answer most strongly describes your views?

• I think the advert is good, and introduced/reinforced the KISS brand to me

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I think the advert is good, and made me think about my views on technical diving

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is objectifying women as sex objects

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is portraying an attractive lady as stupid

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have no strong opinions on the advert

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You missed out an option.

"I think the advert is good as it is objectifying women as sex objects - and that is a standard advertising practice that has been proven to work over a long period of time".

I want peoples personal opinions on how they perceive the advert, whether it offends them or not.

We all know "sex sells" at the end of the day, I don't think anyone is disputing that, so no real need for that option.

But that IS a personal opinion. It's how I perceive that advert for a start.

For me it's not so much a question of offence as rather tired and boring. Bodies don't offend me. Maybe the "sex sell" does a little more but also not really. It works - so realistically why should I care?

Oh wait...I remember....most women I know don't like being viewed as sex objects....even if it IS good advertising.

Ok then.

Kim:
Oh wait...I remember....most women I know don't like being viewed as sex objects....even if it IS good advertising.

OFF TOPIC: Are most of the women you know Japanese or gaijin ?

I pretty much ignore all advertisements and I avoid media that makes ignoring them too difficult.

There are web sites where the ads are just too hard to get around (for me and my conputer) and I avoid those sites. I understand the need Pete has to allow advertising on this site but it's getting pretty borderline...it is starting to interfere with functionality.

Sex may sell well to the public but I don't buy it. If I were in the market to buy sex, I certainly would not be happy with a rebreather.

As a consumer, I not only find advertising, in general, to be uninformative and a waste of my time but also insulting...and that is no way to get me to part with my money.

Geoff_H:
OFF TOPIC: Are most of the women you know Japanese or gaijin ?
Gaijin. English and Dutch....with a reasonable number of German thrown in. Of course I've met others too - I've travelled quite a bit.

i don't know many Japanese ladies. I was happily married when I moved here with my wife and I don't really speak enough Japanese to have got deep enough in conversations of this order here.

Kim:

Really? I don't think I know many people who would appreciate ONLY being viewed as a sex object but in the appropriate time, place and context, I think most rather enjoy it.

MikeFerrara:
Really? I don't think I know many people who would appreciate ONLY being viewed as a sex object but in the appropriate time, place and context, I think most rather enjoy it.
And you think an ad like this would constitute the:
"appropriate time, place and context" ?

somehow I doubt it. That's my point.

Of course, there are some who like to show off wherever they can - but that's true for men as well!

Actually, successful advertisement is rated by the number of people who see it, talk about it to others, and continue to show light on the manufactures products.

Take a look at successful marketing such as the Cavemen for Geico, (who obviously are offended by the use of cavemen), Wendy’s old “where’s the Beef”, and an uncountable number of sexy girls selling a plethora of products, events, and resort destinations.

The ending result on any advertisement campaign is recognition of a product to the masses. If I am successful, the client receives an extensive number of views, hype, and comments, be good or bad. The ending result is that additional potential consumers know about a product they previously had no clue (or very little) existed prior to the advertisement.

Like any company, magazine, or television show (even the place you work) they are required to make money to stay in business. As for the media, paid advertisement is the main source of income. Without it, the free service you are enjoying so much right now as you set in the comfort of your house reading the Scuba Board would not survive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom