KISS rebreather advert: your views

Which answer most strongly describes your views?

• I think the advert is good, and introduced/reinforced the KISS brand to me

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I think the advert is good, and made me think about my views on technical diving

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is objectifying women as sex objects

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is portraying an attractive lady as stupid

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have no strong opinions on the advert

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
And you think an ad like this would constitute the:
"appropriate time, place and context" ?

somehow I doubt it. That's my point.

Of course, there are some who like to show off wherever they can - but that's true for men as well!

In this case it's for money but I'd say the context is suitable enough for that particular woman.

I'm personally very offended by the add in that it objectifies MEN as sex objects!

This add maybe the best thing KISS has ever done. Three threads, 5000 views on just one thread, and three hundred responses.

KISS paid for a banner in a relatively obscure forum, and because they placed the type of add they did, the response spilled over onto the entire board. I'm betting their web hits are WAY up as well, and while most of us will NOT be just jumping into the rebreather market tomorrow, this is the exposure they are looking for.

Kudo's to the folks that are so offended by the idea of using PEOPLE as objects that they keep beating dead horses to the point that this add will live on much past the recommended shelf life! :D

Curt Bowen:
Actually, successful advertisement is rated by the number of people who see it, talk about it to others, and continue to show light on the manufactures products.

That might be how the advertising companies rate it.
Take a look at successful marketing such as the Cavemen for Geico, (who obviously are offended by the use of cavemen), Wendy’s old “where’s the Beef”, and an uncountable number of sexy girls selling a plethora of products, events, and resort destinations.

I'm not really familiar with the cave-man thing you're talking about but I haven't baught anything because of it...and Wendy's burgers suck so I don't buy those.
The ending result on any advertisement campaign is recognition of a product to the masses. If I am successful, the client receives an extensive number of views, hype, and comments, be good or bad. The ending result is that additional potential consumers know about a product they previously had no clue (or very little) existed prior to the advertisement.

If you are successful, sales will increase and that increase will be correlatable to advertising activities.

Lots of garbage products are very well recognized. I wouldn't buy them though.
Like any company, magazine, or television show (even the place you work) they are required to make money to stay in business. As for the media, paid advertisement is the main source of income. Without it, the free service you are enjoying so much right now as you set in the comfort of your house reading the Scuba Board would not survive.

I don't know about anyone else but I stopped watching television some years ago. Not only is the programming garbage but you have to sit through too much garbage advertising to see it. When I'm on the road and stuck in a motel and can't sleep I turn it on and flip through the chanels some but it only makes me glad that I don't pay for the trash.

Who says it's free? Most people buy cable or satalite and they are paying to get mostly regular netwerk stations that someone else is getting for free.

When cable first came out I thought it was great. It was inexpensive, there were lots of movies and NO commercials. Now it's expensive, the programming is lousy and it's loaded with advertisement, in fact, through most of the night it isn't anything but informercials. Not only won't I be buying any of those products but I won't be buying the cable service.

But, lets talk about scubaboard. It is free and that's great but as I alredy pointed out, it's getting to the point that the advertising is interfering with the functionality and having a negative effect on the value of visiting the site. We aren't far from the point where I will give it up as I did television. Personally, I would rather pay for a service that I value rather than get pissed off for free. I might be willing to purchase a subscription to scubaboard but the stupid ads (especially the animated ones) have to go.

RonFrank:
I'm personally very offended by the add in that it objectifies MEN as sex objects!

This add maybe the best thing KISS has ever done. Three threads, 5000 views on just one thread, and three hundred responses.

KISS paid for a banner in a relatively obscure forum, and because they placed the type of add they did, the response spilled over onto the entire board. I'm betting their web hits are WAY up as well, and while most of us will NOT be just jumping into the rebreather market tomorrow, this is the exposure they are looking for.

Kudo's to the folks that are so offended by the idea of using PEOPLE as objects that they keep beating dead horses to the point that this add will live on much past the recommended shelf life! :D

If KISS or scubaboard feel that my displeasure or the voicing of that displeasure with having their advertising stuffed in my face is somehow of value to them, they are welcome to it.

This is NOT a dead horse. This is a rare oportunity to tell the advertiser AND those selling the advertising space, what I think of the advertisement and how it effects my perception of the media and the product. Really! I have never had the oportunity to tell empire carpet that I would never buy their product even if they were the last carpet manufacturers on the face of the planet. Other media, just doesn't present that oportunity.

I may or may not dive a rebreather someday but KISS is startng out at a disadvatage. In order to sell me a rebreather they would have to dazzle me enough that I could excuse the stupid scubaboard ad that's been in my face. That's a tough not to crack and what they may have mnanaged to do is to sell someone elses rebreather.

:eek:fftopic:
MikeFerrara:
I don't know about anyone else but I stopped watching television some years ago. Not only is the programming garbage but you have to sit through too much garbage advertising to see it. When I'm on the road and stuck in a motel and can't sleep I turn it on and flip through the chanels some but it only makes me glad that I don't pay for the trash.

Yeah, Blue Planet, Planet Earth, were total trash. Discovery Channel, the History Channel, the Food Network, DIY, and PBS all just show Trash. I mean, who wants to watch some of the worlds best chefs teach cooking, or the the worlds best videographers and zoologists document animal behavior. And all those boring facts about science, space, marine biology, technology, and just about any other subject.

Of course another annoying thing is the advancement of technology. Don't you hate it when they come up with a way so that one can just skip through the commercials?

Whatever filters you have in place are working well as you have rationalized behavior with supporting issues that are easily avoided. Sure there is a lot of trash on TV, and there is a lot of advertising. But there is a lot of solid content, and ways to avoid the adds. It's just a question of how one wants to gain information. You think the net is any different?

MikeFerrara:
I might be willing to purchase a subscription to scubaboard but the stupid ads (especially the animated ones) have to go.

NewsFlash. If you pay for a subscription on SB, the adds can be turned off. :eek:fftopic:

This is by no means a brilliant ad. It is more of the same ol, same ol. Until there is a revolution in the advertising industry we'll see more more of it. Either that or our little girls and boys are educated to the fact that they are more worthy. Dove has been doing an excellent marketing job using "real" women - educated women to sell their products. Hopefully others will follow. One can hope. Now you may say the woman in the ad is educated however there is nothing to be learned from her through that ad. Personally, I think it could be changed, highlighting the product better, still using the naked chick but not be in such poor taste, and still get the numbers the advertiser is looking for.

RonFrank:
NewsFlash. If you pay for a subscription on SB, the adds can be turned off. :eek:fftopic:

He is right. $3.95 a month and you are in like Flynn :wink:

Missdirected:
Dove has been doing an excellent marketing job using "real" women - educated women to sell their products. Hopefully others will follow.

KISS Is using a REAL customer.

This was not a model. The other man and woman were models (whom everyone is ignoring). In this case KISS decided to use a customer who was training with the product in the tropics.

The irony is that because she is attractive, and busty everyone thinks she is a model, and not a diver. The reality is that folks, there is your rebreather customer as she appeared in her training class.

The true Sexist part is the assumption on the part of most that this woman IS a model for hire based on her looks when the truth is she is a Tech diver, Instructor, and DM! :blinking:

But Tracy, do you HONESTLY think that Sexy people don't sell product!

I bet half the folks here are ready to go out and buy a KISS rebreather, and they may not even know why! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom