Interesting new hose configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fra-zzr

Registered
Reaction score
I recently came across an interesting alternative to the standard DIR/Hogarthian hose configuration and wondered if anyone here could think of any reason not to do it.

Instead of running the HP hose down your left side it is routed over the left shoulder alongside your wing inflator hose and LP inflator. These three components are bungeed together and covered in a neoprene sleeve (optional i guess) leaving the last inch or so free to allow runaway inflators to be disconnected.

This setup puts the gauge at the end of the inflator within easy reach (possibly even handsfree) and leaves the left side d-ring entirely clear.

I have been racking my brains to work out why this is not standard. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

sounds intriguing. I generally don't have any issues with the spg on my left hip, and I am to the point that I can easily retrieve/replace it quickly without looking. However, I find it to be a pain sometimes when carrying a stage bottle.

So, this setup would only appeal to me when using a stage bottle, however since my stage bottle is attached at the left shoulder d-ring, and has a first stage, second stage and valve all in that general vicinity, it seems to me that the left shoulder d-ring would become more convoluted that the left hip d-ring was.

Just my two cents, I have never tried it, but my initial thought is that it merely trades the problem of a crowded left hip d-ring for a crowded shoulder d-ring.

I recently came across an interesting alternative to the standard DIR/Hogarthian hose configuration and wondered if anyone here could think of any reason not to do it.

• It makes leak detection a problem because all you can tell is "something is leaking" but you have no idea which of the three hoses it is.
  • Bundles of moving stuff (hoses, wires, etc.) tend to abrade each other.
  • A three hose bundle is going to be more than an inch thick and pretty stiff.

Not sure if any of these actually matters much, OTOH, I'm also not sure if it actually fixes anything either.

flots.

Last edited:
I've been doing a that since Velcro came out. I use Velcro straps/strips to keep my HP hose LP hose and corrugated hose together on my left side. No sleeve exactly because of leak detection. You won't like this part so call it (optional i guess) it all ends on a large retractor so I can use the compass mounted on the console to nav. while keeping the console close to my body when not using it for nav. Those electrical Velcro straps are what I use these days. Years ago I made my own straps from Velcro.

Interesting. Im going to give this some thought. Although Ive gotten use to clipping it on my left hip D ring, and I can unclip it and clip it off without thought at this point - I cant stand it when I have 1 deco tank, and its a rea PITA with 2.

I have a few buddies that route that way. The hp hose is ordered so its just the right length, and its simply threaded thru the inner tube loops on the lp inflator hose. Its rests just above the actual inflator buttons (not dangling below) and does not attach to the chest d ring. Multiple stages and clunky cuff rings. Im fine with hip clipping my spg with multiple stages, i dont consider the difference an issue when diving with them.

I use a transmitter, so no HP hose, but I don't see this as being a bad idea depending on the length of your inflator hose. I'm using a 12" hose, which puts the power inflator at about mid shoulder (In my avatar my inflator is a standard 16" or so). It gives me just enough room to orally inflate, but doesn't dangle at all. With a short inflator, the spg might be a little more difficult to read if the hose is kept the same length as the inflator to keep everything looking tidy.

I do it much like that on my rebreather and it seems to work great for me. I have my diluent gauge on my left side and my oxygen gauge on my right side. The HP hoses are just the right lenght so that the gauges just have enough lenght to pass through the shoulder velcros. The gauges are not secured to the inflator hose but still stay tight to my chest. It is not hands free to see them since I must bend them up and turn my head to see them. My inflator is still easy and flexible to use or disconnect. I have been diving this way for well over a year with no issues arising from it.

My cave instructor routed his spg hose roughly that way, but he then used a bungee to attach the gauge to the inflater button on his dry suit chest. As a consequence, he didn't have to touch his spg at all during the dive. He just glanced down to see his pressure.

Not a bad idea and I might have to try it out. I used to clip my SPG to my Lt. hip D-ring but as others have stated it gets in the way with stages. I now bring it under my Lt arm pit and clip it to my Lt chest D-ring. I am usually very anti clutter with too much going on / attached together. i.e. Air2 with knife, dual bladder with both LPI hoses attached together. But this might be worth a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom