My first Sidemount Kit, piecing it together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am preparing to dip my toe on the technical side of diving and am interested in learning sidemount next. I went to the TDI shop to ask a few questions and to get an ideal of what I would need. Well they suggested two ScubaPros MK25, well at roughly $1100 EACH I said nope aint gonna happen. After chatting with a few people I discovered that I could substitute with Hog, Dive Rite or Apek regulators. They are good quality and priced well. I'm displaying the list, looking forward to the comments and thanks.

Regs:

2 - regulators with turret and 5th LP port out of bottom (Scubapro MK19 EVO or MK25 EVO are good options)

1 - 7 ft miflex regulator hose

1 - 30 inch miflex reg hose

1 - 90' elbow

2 - 6 inch rubber HP hose

2 - stream line HP gauge

1 small bolt snap

Tanks:

2 - jubilee (metal worm) band

2 - large bolt snaps

2 feet para cord

4 feet 1/2 inch plastic tubing

Harness:

Xdeep Stealth Tec 2.0

butt pouch

Light:

Can light with sidemount gland (prefer UWLD)

Fins:

f1s, slip stream, turtle, avanti, etc.

NO split fins

Spare mask - any

2 - 6' smbs different colors

1 reel/spool

Sidemount Deco tank:

AL 80 or 40, brushed Aluminum

2 large bolt snaps

8 feet 3/4 inch bungee

jubilee band with nylon cover or vinyl tubing

reg with rotating turret on first stage O2 cleaned

6 inch hp hose

Streamline pressure gauge

40 inch black, blue, or green miflex hose

2 elastic/rubber hose retention bands

I'm enthusiastically excited for you but not your pocket, it's all second hand-hand made in my house

@Tigerpaw

I just got my K2 bc, I am in the same boat as you are. Planning to do a series of SM courses later this year.

I'll be following your progress 🙂

Tanks:

2 - jubilee (metal worm) band

2 - large bolt snaps

2 feet para cord

4 feet 1/2 inch plastic tubing
Can you buy these as a set together or do you have to buy piece by piece from different suppliers?

I use Dive Rite XT1/2 for my sidemount diving (and for CCR bailout, too). They breathe fine. If you don’t have anywhere local to get them, I’d suggest ordering from DGX (Dive Gear Express). DGX is also good source for hoses and bolt snaps, too. I’ve been ordering from them for years.

Highly recommend you get rubber, not Miflex, for the 7ft hose. It’s floaty and will kink easily, in my experience. I use Miflex for all my other hoses, but not the long hose.

Highly recommend you get rubber, not Miflex, for the 7ft hose. It’s floaty and will kink easily, in my experience. I use Miflex for all my other hoses, but not the long hose.
And rip your hair out of your neck if you don’t wear a hood

I used the X Deep Stealth Classic, the Tec version hadn't come out yet. It worked well.

Sidemount is fun, but can be very frustrating in the beginning. Having someone to take video of you and your setup is very helpful. Saw lots of xdeep harnesses when I went through full cave ealier this year (I was in backmount then but won't be next trip) Enjoy the journey:)

I'd wait on the lpi hoses until you get fitted into your gear. You may need longer hoses. Substitute miflex for rubber hoses.

I like the hog hose retainers, you can cut them into thirds or in half as they are rather thick. By my count you need 5 hose retainers.

You'll need a couple of backup double enders, 3 or 4 inch, at least one 3" bolt snap for a backup loop bungie...

You'll likely need a reel and two spools. Even if you don't, reels are so much nicer for everything.

I've used the xDeep tech 2 and the razor. Both are great. If you are thinking rebreather, the razor will be a little better because of the positioning of the dump valve, but I really miss the center dump on the xDeep.

Are you diving dry now? Are you planning to dive dry? If you are then a heavy fin is probably going to be ok. If you're diving wet, you'll want a neutral to slightly positive fin - Deep6 or UTD off the top of my head. Personally I use the deep6, because my legs are very heavy in the water. If you go with a negative fin, the hog tech fins are very nice and affordable.

You'll need a pouch as well. I'm partial to the razor pouches, but the new xdeep are an improvement over the old ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom