Question Scubapro MK2 hose routing for long hose divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently picked up a secondhand Scubapro MK2 to play around with. I usually dive MK17s, MK21s, and MK25s.

Anyone have a hose routing configuration they're happy with? If I point the 4 LP ports downwards, I can get the LP hoses pointed close to the correct direction, but then the HP port would be sticking straight up. I dive a long hose config, and that probably means getting a longer HP hose so my SPG would reach my left hip D-ring.

If I angle the HP port to my left side, then two of the LP hoses which also need to go left will be in awkward positions.

A drysuit inflation hose will be on one of the LP ports.

Any comments?

You can try 90 degree elbows for any LP hose that needs it. When I use my MK2 it’s generally for minimalist diving, and all I have coming off the 1st stage is an SPG, one second stage and an LP hose (or not). It depends if I’m using a BC or not, if not then there are only two things coming off the 1st stage.
The kind of routing you’re talking about, it’s pretty hard to beat a balanced style piston (MK5 through MK25).

I recently picked up a secondhand Scubapro MK2 to play around with. I usually dive MK17s, MK21s, and MK25s.

Anyone have a hose routing configuration they're happy with? If I point the 4 LP ports downwards, I can get the LP hoses pointed close to the correct direction, but then the HP port would be sticking straight up. I dive a long hose config, and that probably means getting a longer HP hose so my SPG would reach my left hip D-ring.

If I angle the HP port to my left side, then two of the LP hoses which also need to go left will be in awkward positions.

A drysuit inflation hose will be on one of the LP ports.

Any comments?
My MK2 has 4 LP ports. I'm guessing they all do except for maybe really old ones. (Mine is about 20 years old) If you orient the 1st stage so that the HP port is at 4:00 (thinking of a clock face on the end cap, looking at it from where the divers head would be) then there are LP ports at about 1:00 (LP inflator) 10:00 (alternate 2nd) and 7:00 (long hose). That's not totally ideal, but it is workable.

You could try an angle adapter for the LP inflator hose, but it's probably not necessary.

90 degree elbows for any LP hose that needs it

Just an fyi, many years ago, the SP service tech. Manager in the US tested a SP regulator system with this 90 degree elbow connected to the LP port on the first stage and told me specifically that this elbow was a bad thing since it reduced the performance of the regulator and advised to not use it. He did his testing using the test machines they had at SP.

I don't remember all of the details he gave them but that was the end result cause.

…I usually dive MK17s, MK21s, and MK25s.

Any comments?
I don’t think I can offer a solution, I believe you’ve already realized the MK2 sucks for that.

My comment is, sounds like you have at least 2 of the first stages mentioned above, so, why bother with a MK2?

Like any straight (not 90°] low hoses (underarm) like long hose octo or primary and dry suit out lower ports and hi one out of the upper ports, like a conshelf.

Just an fyi, many years ago, the SP service tech. Manager in the US tested a SP regulator system with this 90 degree elbow connected to the LP port on the first stage and told me specifically that this elbow was a bad thing since it reduced the performance of the regulator and advised to not use it. He did his testing using the test machines they had at SP.

I don't remember all of the details he gave them but that was the end result cause.
Considering that many, many divers use 90 degree adapters on the 2nd stage end of the LP hose, including most sidemount cave divers, I can't understand why this would be the case. It doesn't matter which end of the hose the elbow is on, it's all IP.

Some things that are measured on test machines that have zero relevance to real-world diving.

I don’t think I can offer a solution, I believe you’ve already realized the MK2 sucks for that.

My comment is, sounds like you have at least 2 of the first stages mentioned above, so, why bother with a MK2?

Just for fun. I like regulators. I got it for a bargain price.

Use it as a dry suit inflation bottle reg when if/when the need arises/exists. That’s about all it is good for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom