Hybrid Rec/Tech Long Hose Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my backup reg for part of every dive. I think switching is good practice and it ensures everything is working fine.
Sure I breath on them as part of edge and do an sdrill almost every dive… the comfort of my short hose is never a consideration in fact it’s actually fairly uncomfortable because of how tight I run the bungee so that it doesn’t hang down and interfere with deploying the long hose

Sure I breath on them as part of edge and do an sdrill almost every dive… the comfort of my short hose is never a consideration in fact it’s actually fairly uncomfortable because of how tight I run the bungee so that it doesn’t hang down and interfere with deploying the long hose
During sporty shore dives, the primary is clipped and the necklace alternate is held at the ready in the mouth. Having comfortable full range of motion makes situational awareness so much easier.

Why does it matter how comfortable the necklace is. As long as you can look straight ahead comfortably it’s good enough. The chance of you needing your necklace is low and If you’re diving single tank you shouldn’t be in a situation where if you’re using it you can not make a direct ascent to the surface.
Although I agree that comfort is more important for the primary, with respect, I don't think I agree that just looking ahead is good enough. If you're in a situation where you have to end a dive due to equipment issues, it may be even more important to have a heightened situational awareness.

With that said, I'll probably end up taking the advice of some and try small variations in length to find that sweet spot for my body between comfort and maintaining as much streamlining as I can.

Although I agree that comfort is more important for the primary, with respect, I don't think I agree that just looking ahead is good enough. If you're in a situation where you have to end a dive due to equipment issues, it may be even more important to have a heightened situational awareness.

With that said, I'll probably end up taking the advice of some and try small variations in length to find that sweet spot for my body between comfort and maintaining as much streamlining as I can.
What formal training do you have with the long hose?

What formal training do you have with the long hose?
Do I need to have 1,000 dives to have an opinion on the importance of situational awareness in an equipment casualty scenario?

Do I need to have 1,000 dives to have an opinion on the importance of situational awareness in an equipment casualty scenario?
Is that the question I asked?

I use my backup reg for part of every dive. I think switching is good practice and it ensures everything is working fine.
100% this. The first time I had a regulator issue (loose hose), insane quantities of bubbles in my face, I couldn't find my backup quickly. I ended up surfacing instead of continuing looking for the reg.

Since then:
  • I practice regulator switching every dive.
  • Both regulators are in a consistent location, where I can find both by feel instantly. (ex: clips, necklaces)
  • I started using a redundant air-supply.
When I started practicing again, I was quickly reminded (by reality) that I need to blow out or purge the regulator ... something else I had forgotten due to lack of practice.

False. Easy to check before posting a falsehood like this.
That was quoted from the PADI website.

Course prerequisites:
  • any diver with an Open Water (or Jr. Open Water) Diver certification may enroll in a PADI Rescue Diver course, complete Rescue Diver eLearning and participate in Rescue Exercises in confined water.
  • To participate in open water Rescue Exercises and be certified as a PADI Rescue Diver, the student must complete the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive and hold a PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certification. A PADI (or other qualifying) Advanced Open Water Diver certification also meets this prerequisite.
  • Certification also requires CPR and first aid training within the past 24 months. If you don't have this training, you can enroll in an Emergency First Response® (EFR) Primary Care (CPR) and Secondary Care (First Aid) course with your PADI Instructor.

Why does it matter how comfortable the necklace is. As long as you can look straight ahead comfortably it’s good enough. The chance of you needing your necklace is low and If you’re diving single tank you shouldn’t be in a situation where if you’re using it you can not make a direct ascent to the surface.

I don’t understand why one would purposely choose to configure their gear in a manner that is uncomfortable, especially when the amount of effort for it to be comfortably customized is ridiculously low.

I also can’t fathom (no pun intended) ever diving where looking in a direction other than straight ahead is unnecessary….why would would it should one restrict the range of motion of their head when doing so is easily avoidable and totally not necessary.

Having your gear fit and function comfortably is not connected to the “chance” you will use it or if you can make a direct ascent or not.

-Z

That was quoted from the PADI website.

You misunderstand by your selective quote. The next bullet says you can't complete the course (and become a Rescue Diver) unless you are an Adventure Diver. You can only start the course as OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom