Hybrid Rec/Tech Long Hose Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just going over my hoses for an upcoming trip where I would be using a long hose (84 inch primary) setup for the first time. I came across a 42 inch hose that I had ordered because I was going to try the under right arm primary open water setup at one point. So here's my question...

Let's say, I use the 84 inch long hose primary in the standard way. I don't have a canister light but it would route under a lose hose routing belt stick on my right hip. But instead of using the shorty hose up and over the right shoulder to a necklace for my backup 2nd stage, what if I used the 42 inch hose and routed the backup 2nd stage under my right arm and up to the necklace?

I can see some advantages to doing this. First off, the only thing going over my right shoulder is the long hose. Secondly, the shorty backup hose normally routed over the right shoulder is restrictive. Since this is seen as a backup device, this is a trade off for a more streamlined configuration. With the under the arm 42 inch backup, that restriction isn't there, and I would argue it's more streamlined as well.

So, I'm trying to think of a disadvantage and I can't come up with one, so please critique me folks. One other technical detail to note, I would be using a non 5th port 1st stage. Therefore, I would not have it tilted shooting the long hose down at an angle. This would typically have the backup 2nd stage hose routing upward biased for a logical over the shoulder setup. On my 1st stage, both 2nd stage hose would come straight out to the side where there isn't a more logical upward or downward bias.

Seems very unnecessary. Why is the hose for your secondary restrictive? I could also see someone entangling these when gearing up and still getting accustomed to a long hose. What does having only one hose over your right shoulder solve?

Seems very unnecessary. Why is the hose for your secondary restrictive? I could also see someone entangling these when gearing up and still getting accustomed to a long hose. What does having only one hose over your right shoulder solve?
Are you saying that you would not have more freedom of movement and less pulling and pushing on the backup 2nd stage as you turn your head if it were not on that tiny hose? Keep in mind that I am not saying it isn't adequate. I'm saying that if another way is potentially better than adequate, why not explore it?

You asked for an opinion and received one. It’s a silly notion, and if you’re struggling to rotate your head with your necklaced second in your mouth, it’s likely an inappropriate length.

You asked for an opinion and received one. It’s a silly notion, and if you’re struggling to rotate your head with your necklaced second in your mouth, it’s likely an inappropriate length.
I respect your opinion. I don't think it's a silly notion though, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

I use two lengths of longhose in a single-tank configuration:
  • 2.1m/7ft which hooks under a cannister battery on the RH waist belt then up my chest, around my neck from the LHS.
  • 1.5m/5ft which goes under my RH arm then across my chest, around my neck from the LHS.
The shorter one works in warm water conditions where I don't have a cannister torch.

The backup is a short hose to the regulator on a bungee. Don't have the length to hand.

Not sure if that's what you mean?

I use two lengths of longhose in a single-tank configuration:
  • 2.1m/7ft which hooks under a cannister battery on the RH waist belt then up my chest, around my neck from the LHS.
  • 1.5m/5ft which goes under my RH arm then across my chest, around my neck from the LHS.
The shorter one works in warm water conditions where I don't have a cannister torch.

The backup is a short hose to the regulator on a bungee. Don't have the length to hand.

Not sure if that's what you mean?
What I'm considering is using the 7' long hose primary in the normal way. But instead of the secondary on a shorty hose routed over the right shoulder, have the secondary route under the right arm on about a 40-42" hose up to the necklace. I would probably use a 110 degree adapter on the 2nd stage for the backup in that setup.

It isn't the "satndard" way of doing a long hose setup but I see no disadvantages which is why I threw the idea out there. And I do believe that if I were to need to use the backup 2nd stage, it would be more comfortable in that setup.

What I'm considering is using the 7' long hose primary in the normal way. But instead of the secondary on a shorty hose routed over the right shoulder, have the secondary route under the right arm on about a 40-42" hose up to the necklace. I would probably use a 110 degree adapter on the 2nd stage for the backup in that setup.

It isn't the "satndard" way of doing a long hose setup but I see no disadvantages which is why I threw the idea out there. And I do believe that if I were to need to use the backup 2nd stage, it would be more comfortable in that setup.

Too many long hoses overlapping each other. If the secondary on the short hose is uncomforable for you, then the hose length needs to be changed (22 - 24").

Personally I wouldn't bother with some Frankenstein config.

The point of the secondary regulator is it is a backup for you and only you. It's always in the right place held there by the bungee necklace; you don't need to think or scrabble around as it's just below your chin. The short hose routes around your neck and is just long enough to turn your head to the left without pulling the mouthpiece out.

The longhose is donated in the extremely unlikely event that someone should need it.

If you've got a decompression cylinder then you will have the longhose clipped off to your RH chest D-ring. Should something drastic happen to your deco gas, i.e. "boom", you scoop up the secondary backup and breathe whilst you sort out the deco gas and/or scrounge some more.

This is pretty much a standard "DIR" open circuit configuration and is extremely well thought through which is why it is a de-facto standard for technical diving and is followed even for sidemount (longhose + bungeed necklace backup). There are occasional reasons why people deviate from this configuration, but not for general purpose diving; for example solo sidemount diving in a gnarly cave where two short hoses and one neckace are better.

Since you don't have a canister light and are discussing open water dives, a 60" hose might work better for the primary, with no need to tuck it on. For the secondary, stick with the standard 22"-24" hose.

Back
Top Bottom