Hybrid Rec/Tech Long Hose Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

False. Easy to check before posting a falsehood like this.
I think SDI - not sure if this is still the case - only required 40 dives if you didn’t have Advanced

I totally get that. I just think it's overkill to require it to do basic training and equipment checks in a pool.
Like I said, insurance.

Swimming pool is good, if you have access to one.

Somebody in the neighborhood must have a swimming pool of some sort, it doesn't have to be fancy or even deep :)

Somebody in the neighborhood must have a swimming pool of some sort, it doesn't have to be fancy or even deep :)
Mine is 4', but I refuse to get all my gear on to dive in it... I know my wife would take pictures and make fun of me in that, lol.

My neighbors / friends / friends of friends have pools though. Has to be someone out there that's willing to let him in. The captain of the firehouse that I used to get fills at said I could use his pool anytime to practice. Ask enough people and I'm sure OP will find someone.

I think SDI - not sure if this is still the case - only required 40 dives if you didn’t have Advanced
Student Prerequisites

SDI Rescue:

1. Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
2. Provide proof of current First Response Adult and Child Emergency Care Provider and Oxygen Administration Provider (where local law permits) certification or equivalent*
3. Provide proof of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver certification, SDI Junior Advanced Adventure certification, or equivalent, or open water diver certification and 15 logged open water dives
4. Divers under age 15 may earn the Junior Rescue Diver certification. Junior students are to train and dive under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or active dive professional

note: OW alone is not sufficient.

SSI Rescue:
SSI is more uninformative about prerequisites, but they may only be a current CPR/First Aid cert.

PADI Rescue:
• 12 years old
Note: 12- to 14-year-old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifications
• PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certification – must have completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive.
• PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water.
• EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months. Training may be completed along with
rescue diver course.

Student Prerequisites

SDI Rescue:

1. Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
2. Provide proof of current First Response Adult and Child Emergency Care Provider and Oxygen Administration Provider (where local law permits) certification or equivalent*
3. Provide proof of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver certification, SDI Junior Advanced Adventure certification, or equivalent, or open water diver certification and 15 logged open water dives
4. Divers under age 15 may earn the Junior Rescue Diver certification. Junior students are to train and dive under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or active dive professional

note: OW alone is not sufficient.

SSI Rescue:
SSI is more uninformative about prerequisites, but they may only be a current CPR/First Aid cert.

PADI Rescue:
• 12 years old
Note: 12- to 14-year-old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifications
• PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certification – must have completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive.
• PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water.
• EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months. Training may be completed along with
rescue diver course.
SDI changed it. A while back it was 40 dives. Glad they lowered it.

Rob,
There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are suggesting, it is just not standard or “optimized”.

Note that if you are routing a 2nd stage hose up under your right arm then you should think about putting a 90 degree or 120 degree adapter between the hose and 2nd stage so the hose routes down from the 2nd stage…this will aid greatly in comfort/nuisance avoidance.

That being said, I would not recommend what you are doing. Diving with a long hose may be foreign enough for the folks around you, then you are routing your octo up to a necklace awfully close to the “golden triangle” where a traditional octo and hose would reside…it may cause confusion in an out of air situation where a panicking diver starts pulling on your octo hose and it does not come free. For me, I want less octo hose for them to grab than more.

Also, I didn’t like the standard 22 inch hose of my original long hose setup and swapped my octo hose out for something in the 24 to 26 inch range and while it creates slightly more hose extending over my shoulder, it dives more comfortably for me and I have not had any issues with it.

-Z

All to often
Rob,
There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are suggesting, it is just not standard or “optimized”.

Note that if you are routing a 2nd stage hose up under your right arm then you should think about putting a 90 degree or 120 degree adapter between the hose and 2nd stage so the hose routes down from the 2nd stage…this will aid greatly in comfort/nuisance avoidance.

That being said, I would not recommend what you are doing. Diving with a long hose may be foreign enough for the folks around you, then you are routing your octo up to a necklace awfully close to the “golden triangle” where a traditional octo and hose would reside…it may cause confusion in an out of air situation where a panicking diver starts pulling on your octo hose and it does not come free. For me, I want less octo hose for them to grab than more.

Also, I didn’t like the standard 22 inch hose of my original long hose setup and swapped my octo hose out for something in the 24 to 26 inch range and while it creates slightly more hose extending over my shoulder, it dives more comfortably for me and I have not had any issues with it.

-Z
Why does it matter how comfortable the necklace is. As long as you can look straight ahead comfortably it’s good enough. The chance of you needing your necklace is low and If you’re diving single tank you shouldn’t be in a situation where if you’re using it you can not make a direct ascent to the surface.

Why does it matter how comfortable the necklace is. As long as you can look straight ahead comfortably it’s good enough. The chance of you needing your necklace is low and If you’re diving single tank you shouldn’t be in a situation where if you’re using it you can not make a direct ascent to the surface.
I use my backup reg for part of every dive. I think switching is good practice and it ensures everything is working fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom