Interesting new hose configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally understand your reply but it is a lot more complicated with deco and cave dives. I want as much information as I can get in order to stack the deck in my favor. It is for this reason that I refuse to dive a computer that locks you out, during a dive, if you violate it. It is to me like a friend letting you down when you need them the most. BTW, I have yet to violate a computer.

true. Thinking hypothetically about the scenario, I did miss one thing. You will blow through alot of gas during the free flow in the time it takes to shut down the valve, and probably enough to completely throw off your estimate of remaining gas.

Then again, your team members are each carrying enough to get two divers to the next gas switch right?

So I am thinking that after shutting down a post, having a working SPG is more important than just "nice to know" as I said earlier.

Depends on the level of trust you can place in your Teammates/buddies. This is not said facetiously; it is a real consideration when making configuration decisions and situation response strategies.

Depends on the level of trust you can place in your Teammates/buddies. This is not said facetiously; it is a real consideration when making configuration decisions and situation response strategies.

Not picking but would you care to expound?

• It makes leak detection a problem because all you can tell is "something is leaking" but you have no idea which of the three hoses it is.
  • Bundles of moving stuff (hoses, wires, etc.) tend to abrade each other.
  • A three hose bundle is going to be more than an inch thick and pretty stiff.

Not sure if any of these actually matters much, OTOH, I'm also not sure if it actually fixes anything either.

flots.

Three Hoses. Lets see one ( 1 ) Regulator. Two ( 2 ) HP consul, you know pressure, depth, computer or compass. Three ( 3 ) OCTO Regulator.
Need one more for your BC. That would make it four ( 4 ) My self I have even more hoses got an extra one for my pony bottle. When I started there was only one hose for the regulator. Happy Diving !

Bill

Not picking but would you care to expound?

In a nutshell there seems to be three philosophies (probably more) espoused on the board: Resort diving with DM's to assist, strong team diving, self reliant diving. each of these takes certain equipment decisions for granted within their regimes - which is fine. The problem comes when suggestions are made (or rather "taken" I suppose) from one regime and applied in a different setting. One could write volumes on the individual equipment variations but the basic question comes down to: do I trust that other person.

Do they carry my reserve gas?
Do they set up my gear?
Do they carry some piece of equipment I may need?
Do they know something about the site or plan I should know to complete the dive safely?
Do I know the plan and the alternatives?

If one trusts them ok, but if not, one should not equip or conduct themselves as if they are diving with some they do.

Last edited:
Do they carry my reserve gas?
Do they set up my gear?
Do they carry some piece of equipment I may need?
Do they know something about the site or plan I should know to complete the dive safely?
Do I know the plan and the alternatives?

If one trusts them ok, but if not, one should equip or conduct themselves as if they are diving with some they do.

OK got it.
So to answer the questions
No
Maybe (I might need their extra gas)
Not usually
Yes

Last edited by a moderator:
In this case (and another similar thread) the question comes up regarding tank volumes and the need to know them after isolation. As I said previously, part of the "I don't need to know - I'm heading up" response is based on having a team mate carrying enough gas to get both out as planned. In that case, no, you don't need to know - your buddies volume is known. It's also a bit of cave specific thinking, in which there are few decisions to be made as far as exiting is concerned (not to generalize as I know there are exceptions of course).

If however, you are solo, or with divers you cannot trust to be there in every situation, you only have one source of gas (you) and knowing the volumes may help you formulate a plan for surfacing.

Do I move shallow immediately or can I do my deeper stops (if planned). Do I look for the anchor line (if using one) or immediately shoot a bag. Do I surface into potential boat traffic/kelp or swim up a shore profile. All are questions that depend on knowing how much gas I have.

For that reason, as a solo diver, I tend to shy away from modern manifolded doubles (as they are commonly used), as the design always leaves me blind when I most need information (post gas loss event). Instead, I prefer independent tanks, each of which carry enough reserve gas for surfacing.

The fact that I do not expect a buddies gas is what drives this decision. So my perspective on the board should always be taken as that of a self reliant diver.

A strong team oriented diver would not weight the same concerns, and might instead choose a modern manifolded system because the benefit there is a slight increase in useable gas, ease of use, and yes - one less SPG.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom